Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-14-2012, 06:44 AM   #1
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Penguin US books discounted at BOB (for Cdns)

Penguin US books discounted at Books on Board, which have been subject to agency pricing. I access BOB from a Canadian IP address, so I can't test the US store (I'm not sure if there is a separate US store, or if only the currency changes).

Books on Board

Last edited by treadlightly; 09-14-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Changed title to indicate Canadian store only
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Do you have any example? Because "Delusion in Death" has the same price.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I'm not seeing anything other than their normal pricing here in the US.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'm not seeing anything other than their normal pricing here in the US.
In the US, Penguin is incredibly unlikely to voluntarily return to wholesale pricing and I haven't noticed them doing much in the way of promotional price-cutting. They'll go down kicking and screaming on Agency.

I think Penguin are the only ones fighting settlement in the EU. Even Apple settled there.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Do you have any example? Because "Delusion in Death" has the same price.
All these are regularly $7.99 now reduced to $5.99:
Skinwalker by Faith Hunter
Ashes of Honor by Seanan McGuire
Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews

I bought Ashes of Honor a few days ago at $7.99.

For me, Delusion in Death is reg. $27.95 reduced to $20.96

So I'll try to change the title to state "For Canadians only". Regardless, I'll by buying a few titles off my tbr list in case this doesn't last!
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I assume the price changes are Canadian only. The $7.99 titles are unchanged in the US market and Delusion in Death is still $14.99 USD.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
Kiya
Addict
Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360
I am not from Canada, and they all show discounted for me. I have several books from Penguin Group USA, Inc on my wishlist and all of them are discounted. All those that were $7.99 now are reduced to $5.99, and some that were $6.99 are reduced to $5.24.

I also checked the Delusion in Death, and it shows list price $27.95 reduced to $20.96.
Kiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
All these are regularly $7.99 now reduced to $5.99:
Skinwalker by Faith Hunter
Ashes of Honor by Seanan McGuire
Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews

I bought Ashes of Honor a few days ago at $7.99.

For me, Delusion in Death is reg. $27.95 reduced to $20.96

So I'll try to change the title to state "For Canadians only". Regardless, I'll by buying a few titles off my tbr list in case this doesn't last!
I've never bought from BooksOnBoard before and am a bit hesitant to set up yet another account. [Currently have Kobo, Amazon, Sony, GooglePlay] Anyways, is it a pretty safe, reliable site? Easy to use? I have a Sony T1 that I use with Calibre to upload all my epubs [preferably from my computer and not wifi] and I am a bit familiar with Alf and ADE . Also I'm located in Canada so does that have any bearing in my decision? Would appreciate MBR input/experience with BOB.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
I've never bought from BooksOnBoard before and am a bit hesitant to set up yet another account. [Currently have Kobo, Amazon, Sony, GooglePlay] Anyways, is it a pretty safe, reliable site? Easy to use? I have a Sony T1 that I use with Calibre to upload all my epubs [preferably from my computer and not wifi] and I am a bit familiar with Alf and ADE . Also I'm located in Canada so does that have any bearing in my decision? Would appreciate MBR input/experience with BOB.
I've purchased quite a few books from BoB. They're perfectly safe and reliable.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
I've purchased quite a few books from BoB. They're perfectly safe and reliable.
And no taxes for Canadians (they are located in Texas). I used to buy large quantities of books from them before the agency system came along... They give great discounts and also rewards $ that can be used to purchase other books (rewards is just for non-agency titles). You can use PayPal if you don't want to use a credit card but I've bought books from them for over 4 years with no problems... They are absolutely legit and have a great selection.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I can confirm some of this. I have a US BOB account. I surfed to the site and got Canadian pricing, based on my IP address. I signed in with my US account, and the price changes. This was for Ashes of Honor. It was $5.99 CAD, and $7.99 US. I did not try any other books.

FWIW, all of the publishers are "experimenting" with pricing. They change the prices frequently and keep stats to see how price changes affect sales. They are also very aware of what their competitors are doing. The book is $8.88 CAD at Kobo. It looks like Penguin is not offering books at the same price to all of the sellers in a particular geographic area.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #12
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Penguin is not one of the settling publishers in the US. Perhaps, their other divisions did settle?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #13
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thank you TimW, Cdesja and taming for taking the time to reply.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #14
treadlightly
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
And no taxes for Canadians (they are located in Texas). I used to buy large quantities of books from them before the agency system came along... They give great discounts and also rewards $ that can be used to purchase other books (rewards is just for non-agency titles). You can use PayPal if you don't want to use a credit card but I've bought books from them for over 4 years with no problems... They are absolutely legit and have a great selection.
No taxes is great and I've received rewards dollars for every purchase, even agency titles, which is a bonus. Also their customer service is very responsive - I had an answer to my question within 2 hours on a Sunday. If your cart total adds up to $18 CDN (or something close to that, I don't remember exactly) there is an additional $2 off. I'm a happy customer.