Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-04-2011, 07:55 AM   #106
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Brand wars are a distraction. They're the colors worn by gladiators in the Roman coliseum of consumerism.

With all due respect: If =X= would stop using the word fanboy and monkeyluis would stop talking about members' attitudes and focus on the content of their ideas, perhaps we could get back to the friendly tone and informed content that made me like MobileRead in the first place.

==========

Both Android and iOS have potential exposure to malware. However, the Android Market is less rigorously policed than the App Market, which I consider a virtue more than a failing.

The other day, I noticed my battery was being run down and the top left corner of my notifications pull-down spammed. A survey of running apps showed the culprit to be "Galaxy SII+," a skin for Launcher Pro (one of several desktop customization overlays available for Android) which I'd downloaded from the Android Market.

My mistake. I swiftly uninstalled it, flagged its product page as harmful and returned to decent battery life and an ad-free UI.

Then I enjoyed free tethering by means of an app called Wifi Tether, available from the Android Market for the past year at least until carriers made them take it down. That one app has saved me an incredible amount of money and I've seen nothing like it within the Apple ecosystem. Does the iPhone have GoogleTalk yet? That's another money-saver.

iOS's main strengths are its smoothness, uniformity of purpose, seamless design from software to hardware, and (for me) mandatory niche support due to Apple's decades of being the primary platform of professional artists, filmmakers and musicians in the United States.

Android is buggy but open, jerky but customizable, vulnerable but inclusive. It's the pulp science fiction novel with great ideas, the Paris of the Twentieth Century of mobile operating systems. As such, I find it more exciting and less restrictive.

But remember: Google is the slave of advertising, which is one of the reasons they want to replace our internal drives with the Cloud. Neither Google nor Apple takes the motto "don't be evil" seriously, and that useful free space on Google servers has always had a purpose, just like Apple's integration.

Each OS has its place. May everyone get the chance to enjoy them both on the best hardware available.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 12-04-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #107
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Malware appears in the Apple store also. But let's say Android malware is out of control (I've personally never heard of anyone getting any installed).
Even if so, it's the price you pay for a more open marketplace.
This basically. You can't have the freedom to download apps from wherever and *not* have more malware. You just can't. And a lot of people are okay with the increased risk because of the increased freedom. But they go together.

(And there has been no malware in the wild in the Apple store, as far as I can tell. But you can probably never be 100% safe.)

Quote:

Present in the iphone 4S also. Don't blame android for carrier shenanigans. Sounds like it was overblown anyway.
It was in the 4, not the 4S. But it was something you had to opt-in to and it didn't log keystrokes. But, yeah, overall it's looking like the CiQ thing may have been overblown - while the HTC *did* log keystrokes, including passwords, it looks like it never sent them anywhere.

But all in all I'm happy whenever consumers assert themselves against this kind of privacy invasion - even if the invasion turns out to be more of a theoretical possibility. It dissuades companies from trying to push the boundaries further. At least for a couple of weeks. :-(
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2011, 07:24 AM   #108
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
I posted an article that stated malware in the android market was up 472%.
And I pointed out that the number is misleading, since considering the increase in the number of apps, the malware to good apps ratio has actually decreased. I read the comments on the apps that I install on my tablet, and I've had it since March without any malware incidents.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, nexus