Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #16
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown
apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Being something of a cheapskate, I got the Kindle with special offers and have not been bugged by the ads at all. They don't show up when I'm reading. I don't have much sense of actually seeing them at all, which I suppose is a negative for the companies that are paying to advertise.
apbschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #17
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Weighing in on the OP, I am a customer who very much does mind ads. And I buy quite a lot of our household goods through Amazon, so those 10$ for a 20$ gift card offers would actually come in handy. But I don't want them on my eReader.

One of the scariest "throw-away" scenes in a movie I've seen is that scene in "Minority Report" where Tom Cruise is pouring breakfast cereal and the cartoon figures on the cereal box start singing and dancing on the box as an advertisement. That scene freaks me out on so many levels because it's just this concept of ads invading every facet of our personal space, whether we want them to or not.

I don't care how "unobtrusive" the ads are, I don't want them on my eReader's wallpaper or popping up in book ("Are you enjoying this novel? Why not purchase the next in the series for 15% off list price!!!") or on the screensaver or as a ticker across the bottom or built into the back cover. I don't want them on a device that I paid for, that I own, and that I use to relax and escape into other worlds. (I also fast-forward through all television ads. )

Is my position rational? Probably not. Is it real and not likely to change? Absolutely. The real question is how far off the mark that article is when they discount the existence of people like me. Am I in a minority or not? I can't say.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #18
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Aren't 1 and 3 pretty much the same thing?

Anyway, I am not a consumer, I am a human being!
Thanks for posting this. I HATE the word consumer. Makes me think of little "Pac-Men" moving around a maze mindlessly consuming whatever advertisers put in front of them.

I tell my marketing students to think of them as your community, not "consumers" or "target audience."
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #19
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I just wanted make sure that people don't think that ads are popping up willy-nilly during the current book they're reading on the KSO.
Yeah. But I'm not willing to spend $100+ on the assumption that Amazon won't do something they're not even promising not to do (and they have a history of not keeping promises already). If the device were free, I might consider it, but probably decline even then.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
That doesn't sound too bad... I had all kinds of horror scenarios in mind, where you'd get an add every 10 pages you'd read
Nope ...at least not yet
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #21
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I just hate the thought that, if I purchased an ad supported one, I would be inviting all of those companies into my personal space. I would choose not to do that. Do not for a minute think that ads do not influence you to purchase or try something that you would not have purchased or tried in the first place. There are numerous studies to prove otherwise.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #22
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post

I don't care how "unobtrusive" the ads are, I don't want them on my eReader's wallpaper or popping up in book ("Are you enjoying this novel? Why not purchase the next in the series for 15% off list price!!!") or on the screensaver or as a ticker across the bottom or built into the back cover. I don't want them on a device that I paid for, that I own, and that I use to relax and escape into other worlds. (I also fast-forward through all television ads. )
That sums up my thoughts as well. When I sit down to read a book, I'm removing myself from world of ads, or trying to. I want no part of it near the experience if I can help it. It's optional, so that's cool. If others are happy with it, that's cool too.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Do not for a minute think that ads do not influence you to purchase or try something that you would not have purchased or tried in the first place. There are numerous studies to prove otherwise.
Not me... of the first 6 offers, I bought the first 5
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:14 AM   #24
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
I don't mind advertising. It kept my TV watching relatively low-cost (back when I still watched TV). Plus, I've managed to tune it out or else be immune to it. Even on the internet, I manage not to notice most banner advertising. However, if advertisers and marketers want to go this route, they better make the advertisements entertaining and/or artistic (I'm thinking of the Lynxjet advertisements on YouTube ).
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:35 AM   #25
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I think there are two kinds of ads. One that is disruptive and will break your routine and one that is unobtrusive and which you'll notice when you need it.

If you look at TV ads, they fall in both categories. The first are the ones that are shown right in the movie and show. Those, I hate, and always fast-forward (if I recorded it). But you can also have ads between shows and movies. Those I don't mind that much, and I'll generally look at them with one eye, while preparing myself to sit down to the show or movie.

Now, if you project that to that Kindle, the way it's implemented now is the second method. You will only see the ads when you're not reading. I think they'll lose a lot of customers if they ever get it into their heads to show an ad right in the book...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:40 AM   #26
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I don't mind them as long as I can opt out of them and right now I can. Since the K3 Wifi and K3 3G are both in the top three on that list, I think Amazon is learning that offering all options is best. Clearly the KSO is selling well but that there are people willing to pay more to opt out.

A part of me wonders how many people are buying the KSO because it is less expensive and don't realize that they are getting ads? I am sure that there are some folks buying them as gifts who are buying the least expensive model.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:10 AM   #27
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Yes, I do mind ads. I tend to have passtimes that do not involve them, Netflix movies and electronic books.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #28
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Back when I was a kid, ALL my comic books had ads in them. Ads have always been in magazines-even high-toned literary journals like Harper's and the New York Review of Books. Ads were in the SF digest mags when I was coming up. Heck, a few paperbacks had ads in the back. Putting ads in books would not be the horrifying, unprecedented disaster that people seem to think.
I think a likely option may be the freemium option, a la games, apps, and streaming music services. You download an ebook for free. There is a banner ad across the bottom. You start reading. Like the book but don't like the banner ad? Upgrade to the "premium" version by paying full price. If you can stand the banner ads, read the book free.
Hey, it may not be for everyone, but if it works for games, why not for ebooks?
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #29
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I don't like ads, and I avoid them whenever possible.

However, as a general rule it probably is true that consumers don't mind ads if it means that they get something free or at a discount - the prevalence of ads on TV, radio, in magazines, and on the internet tends to support this view.

Although I'll pay extra to avoid them, many people won't.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:21 PM   #30
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
With the subtle way these ads are shown, I'd gladly invite them to send them to my fully-paid K3 3G just to give me access to those deals.

It's strange for me to say this, because I *always* mute or FF through commercials on TV, since I do not like noise, and I block ads in web pages on my laptop, since they're noisy, 14" screen space is precious, and I hate cross-site tracking.

But
- Amazon already has my stats

- The screensavers look just as nice as the current ones

So those are both zero-cost to me.

The only "cost" is the little banner at the bottom of the home screen, and since I spend very little time looking at that screen, and when I would, it would still display the same # of items... I'd consider it very easy to overlook.

So yeah, that little banner would easily be worth the coupons alone, even to me, an ad-hater.

If i didn't spend so much at Amazon already, it might not, though.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote