Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 01:17 AM   #1
TXCiclista
TXCiclista began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Keyboard or Paperwhite, unsure)
Paperwhite screen... worse? (than K3)

Got my eagerly-anticipated Paperwhite yesterday and I've been bugged what seemed to be ever-so-slightly fuzzy text. It wasn't something I could put my finger on until I actually whipped out my K3. Lo and behold, the text on the K3 is noticeably crisper. I'm not sure what to make of it, since I know I had to send my K3 back 3x to get a screen I considered ideal. Is it possible I've gotten a bum PW? Does the touch overlay result in a softening of text that's not there on the non-touch K3? Does anyone have ideas? In general, I like the PW, but I'm just OC enough, that fuzzier text may result in a return. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
TXCiclista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:22 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCiclista View Post
Got my eagerly-anticipated Paperwhite yesterday and I've been bugged what seemed to be ever-so-slightly fuzzy text. It wasn't something I could put my finger on until I actually whipped out my K3. Lo and behold, the text on the K3 is noticeably crisper. I'm not sure what to make of it, since I know I had to send my K3 back 3x to get a screen I considered ideal. Is it possible I've gotten a bum PW? Does the touch overlay result in a softening of text that's not there on the non-touch K3? Does anyone have ideas? In general, I like the PW, but I'm just OC enough, that fuzzier text may result in a return. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
Some other have reported the same fuzziness with Text. There seems to be a quality control issue going on with the PWs. You can call for a replacement which is what others are doing.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-04-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:39 AM   #3
TXCiclista
TXCiclista began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Keyboard or Paperwhite, unsure)
OK. Thanks for letting me know. I'll give that a shot. It was just hard for me to read "this is sooo much better than any Kindle I've ever owned" comments and not think "see an eye doctor?"
TXCiclista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:42 AM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
OK. Thanks for letting me know. I'll give that a shot. It was just hard for me to read "this is sooo much better than any Kindle I've ever owned" comments and not think "see an eye doctor?"
It seems to be 50/50 at the moment between those who love it and those who either are picky or have a bad unit. It was this way with the K4S when it came out too.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:03 AM   #5
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Just my 2 cents: while the "uneven lighting" issues some are reporting (see other threads) are definitely a hardware problem, "blurry" fonts are more likely to be a software problem. You may (or may not) just want to wait for a firmware update. In any case, contacting Amazon's Kindle Customer Support to let them know about the problem is a good idea.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

The PW font issues might be software. Mine is very inconsistent in how the fonts appear page to page. I tried reading a bit last night but it was very difficult as much of the text was thin and washed out, but a few spots of text here and there were crisp and sharp. Every once in a great while I would get a good page where almost all of the text was crisp and sharp, but then the next pages would be crap again. Combine that with the darker background which looks very blue and gray and it is impossible to read on it more than a few minutes at a time. When I put my Touch next to it the text on the Touch looked crisp and sharp and dark but the text on the PW looked like fuzzy and thin and faded much like the old Sony PRS-600 I had back in pre-Pearl screen days. The Sony PRS-x00 line was terrible as it was their first generation of touch screens and the substrate they used made the text difficult to read.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #7
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Pictures or it didn't happen.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #8
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Any lighting issues aside, when I place my Touch next to the Paperwhite under regular lighting the Paperwhite fonts are slightly crisper.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
Any lighting issues aside, when I place my Touch next to the Paperwhite under regular lighting the Paperwhite fonts are slightly crisper.
Agreed.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

For those of you who got good working units that is true. For those of us who got a POS not so much. I'm not sure why you guys with good units want to keep stressing how wonderful your units are every time we try to openly discuss real issues with our defective units. I'm happy you got great units, but it doesn't better the discussion by gloating over it or perhaps trying to contradict what we are saying by saying "but mine is soooooooo perfect." After all, this is not a GD Apple forum.

Here is the bottom line: Amazon chose to have the PW manufactured by cheap (near slave) labor in a country that has historically been incredibly hostile to America (and much of the West) for well over a half century. Amazon got what they paid for. That is, cheap manufacture of PW with terrible quality control. Unfortunately for those of us who got defective units, we did NOT get what we paid for.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #11
BobDyl
BobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Voyage
I wonder if this has to do with the capacitative touch layer in the Paperwhite. When I compare my PW to my KT side by side (light off on the PW), the text on the KT is both crisper and somehow "closer" - it's hard to describe but the KT text looks printed on the screen while the PW text sits under the surface. Also I think the fonts for the KT have been better optimized. This I hope can be fixed with a firmware update on the PW.
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
For those of you who got good working units that is true. For those of us who got a POS not so much. I'm not sure why you guys with good units want to keep stressing how wonderful your units are every time we try to openly discuss real issues with our defective units. I'm happy you got great units, but it doesn't better the discussion by gloating over it or perhaps trying to contradict what we are saying by saying "but mine is soooooooo perfect." After all, this is not a GD Apple forum.
All I see being pointed out is that not all units have problems.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
While I suspect there are variations in hardware quality, as there are with any manufactured goods, I believe the greater variation is in people's expectations. Some expect more than others and anything less than perfection is viewed as a complete failure.

As to people who choose to lecture about "slave labor" in a "hostile country" with "cheap manufacturing" and "poor quality control", it sounds as though your opinion was formed well before you ever opened the box. As other manufacturers have shown, China is capable of world class manufacturing and the quality control is as good as is demanded by their customer. Cliched stereotypes really don't help your point, if you really do have a "defective" unit, as you come off as just extremely biased and seeking any reason to bash.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #14
Cooling1978
Cooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle
There is definitely a difference in appearance between the K3/KTouch screens and the Paperwhite, but whether or not it is a negative change is entirely subjective. The text on my Kindle Touch screen appears to be right on the surface of the screen, while the text on the Paperwhite seems just slightly farther back. I'm certain this is due to the extra layer on the PW model. I am personally not bothered by it. It's just different.
Cooling1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #15
Dc5e
Dc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooling1978 View Post
There is definitely a difference in appearance between the K3/KTouch screens and the Paperwhite, but whether or not it is a negative change is entirely subjective. The text on my Kindle Touch screen appears to be right on the surface of the screen, while the text on the Paperwhite seems just slightly farther back. I'm certain this is due to the extra layer on the PW model. I am personally not bothered by it. It's just different.
I agree with this. It should be expected that extra layers on top of the screen would degrade visual quality.
Dc5e is offline   Reply With Quote