Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #511
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Just having a celebratory coffee as I've completed my two main reading challenges for the year. I made it through the alphabet of authors and all the decades now. I also finished book number 39 and should be able to easily surpass last year's totals for books and pages.
Wow HIMS!! That's fantastic. Congratulations on completing your 2012 Challenge...and half way through the year to boot!

Much Karma to you!!

Please continue to keep us updated on the books you read throughout the rest of the year, over on the list thread.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #512
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I wish I could accomplish that, I set my goal at 85 books and it looks like I will end the year just short of that number. I will proably get as far as 75 books. I have participated in several baen monthly threads over in the deals section and I have built a sizable to be read stack and as a consequence I think that I will take the rest of the year and try to read the entire TBR stack. Its going to take a while since mot of the books are the something like the third or fourth in a book series that I have not read anything in as yet, so I will need to go back and read the series from the start before picking up the book that I have gotten in the monthly package. So its going to take me a while.

Last edited by jbcohen; 06-23-2012 at 08:50 PM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:56 AM   #513
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
completed my challenge for number of books to read, struggling on the series i wanted to read, but still plenty of time
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #514
rpmazur
Connoisseur
rpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheese

Device: Calibre (for MAC), MoonReader (Android)
Missing goals

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I wish I could accomplish that, I set my goal at 85 books and it looks like I will end the year just short of that number. I will proably get as far as 75 books.
I hear ya. I set out to read 14,000 pages and 4 good series. I just finished book 5 of the Dune epic. I'm going to be way short.
rpmazur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #515
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What do you think about that dune series?

I read that many years ago and I liked the first of the series but it all seemed to go down hill after the first installation in the series, however I like to hang in for the long haul so I read the whole series. I am thinking about going back to read the Brian Herbert novels that expands on the universe that Brian's dad, Frank, built man years ago, although i still have not gotten around to getting the novels and starting in on the books.

I still think that I am going to come up short by the end of the year. I guess it will make me better at estimating where I will wind up for 2013. Although it would be nice to passs the fourth tree, see my runner below.

I have gotten a lot of books on my to be read stack lately as parts of bundles that I have managed to get in on. Many of the books are the latest in ongoing series by a few authors that I have never read before. So rather than going out looking for new authors to read books from I am going to read the series that I have before I go particpate in some more bundles and/or buy some additional bundles. Sometimes my eyes are bigger than my reading abilities.

Last edited by jbcohen; 06-25-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:42 AM   #516
rpmazur
Connoisseur
rpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheese

Device: Calibre (for MAC), MoonReader (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
What do you think about that dune series?

I read that many years ago and I liked the first of the series but it all seemed to go down hill after the first installation in the series, however I like to hang in for the long haul so I read the whole series.
It's been a mixed bag of feelings on the series. Dune was awesome and Dune Messiah was a great sequel and kept me interested because I wanted to see how Paul's vision played out. Children of Dune was ok, not as catching as the first two. I was slightly captured by God Emperor of Dune but not that much and then I recently finished Heretics of Dune which I felt was better than God Emperor. I'm finally finishing off the series with Chapterhouse Dune so I can't really say about that one as of yet.

I haven't read any of the Brian Herbert Dune novels, but do have them on digits and will probably read those for the 2013 challenge. I have followed a thread on Goodreads.com (http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/729359) that has debated the best "order" to read the books and most people say to stop at Dune. Me, personally, I kinda want to see how it all plays out. I might be disappointed in the end of the series, as I was with Arthur C Clarke's Rama series, but that is another discussion for another time

Rob
rpmazur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #517
jbcohen
Wizard

Anyone for a real action packed thriller? One of my two recent books is just that: Final Judgment by Phil Elmore, I am only fourty pages in and there is at least five or six dead bodies already with a promise of a lot more action to come.

When neo-nazis seize a US court house and demand the release of their leader, Mack Bolan is called to go in under the radar and eliminate the gunmen, the WWII nazi escapes. With hostages.

Bolan knows that more innocent blood wil be shed unless he can take out the neo-nazi's -every last one. And speed is of the essence, as the war crominal has picked the leader of a holocost group as his new target.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #518
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I just finished Ray Bradbury's R is for Rocket. Unbelievably good.

41 books done halfway into the year. I'll probably take a few days off from reading, not as a break, but because the house is full of boxes for a move. A crazy, but exciting time.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #519
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've hit a lull in my reading. I was hoping to catch up this past weekend but had a few unexpected detours. Now, its just a matter of finding quality time. I am determined to finish Ashes of Victory this week!
Old 06-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #520
jbcohen
Wizard

Here is a question for all: What do you think of Timothy Zahn's book Cobra Alliance: Volume I? Are the Cobra Wars available on the free library or the fifth imperium? I don't think so. I am currently going through David Weber and Steve White's series Honor Harringtion and Empire of Man series. I may yet decide to read all of the other David Weber series like the Safehold series, I understand that one is really quite well written.

Last edited by jbcohen; 07-02-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #521
victauria
Grand Sorcerer
victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD
At the half way point of the year, I'm surprised and happy to say that I've completed the number of books that I set myself as a challenge. Having never participated before, I didn't know what to expect. It has been a terrific experience, both enlightening and very enjoyable.

I haven't done at all well at clearing out my p-books, part of my overall goal, but there's still six months to go!
victauria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #522
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Whoop, Whoop! I did it! It was hard to not buy anything ebook or pbook for six months but I met my challenge. It became easier as time went on (well, all the freebies really helped). I actually found and enjoyed some authors I may not have discovered if I had not started this challenge. - I need to update my list post -

I had a list of quite a few books that I wanted to purchase when this was over, but now I have found that I don't really need to do so, as I have a very large TBR pile. I do have a few that I will be purchasing soon (Under Witch Aura, Dragons of Wendal, and Black-Tie Bingo by Maria E Schneider (MR author BearMountainBooks), just because I love her writing.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #523
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Well done dreams. A will of iron. I don't think I could do it, as there are certain authors I just have to have. Even if I managed the six months, I'd have a big backlog waiting to be purchased.

I am spot on with my challenge, after having been continuously one or two books behind. The only aspect I am struggling with is reading all of the titles that I have nominated specifically. Probably les than half way through these, and I'm not sure I'll do it.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #524
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Whoop, Whoop! I did it! It was hard to not buy anything ebook or pbook for six months but I met my challenge. It became easier as time went on (well, all the freebies really helped). I actually found and enjoyed some authors I may not have discovered if I had not started this challenge. - I need to update my list post -

I had a list of quite a few books that I wanted to purchase when this was over, but now I have found that I don't really need to do so, as I have a very large TBR pile. I do have a few that I will be purchasing soon (Under Witch Aura, Dragons of Wendal, and Black-Tie Bingo by Maria E Schneider (MR author BearMountainBooks), just because I love her writing.

Excellent job, Dreams! Congratulations on both the challenge and finding great new freebies.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #525
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Thanks, orlok and Nyssa! It was extremely hard to not purchase anything, even when there was a great deal. The hardest was to not purchase those books by my favorite authors, like orlock mentioned.

What I did learn was that some of those must buy in hardback authors have their books discounted cheaper than pbacks or ebooks in the bargain stores or the bargain tables in the book stores. So, I saved money by waiting a few months.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote