Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #91
Jeton
Enthusiast
Jeton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Try this:
Press Shift then SPACE and you should see a "Succes" text displayed on the bottom.
Jeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #92
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeton View Post
Try this:
Press Shift then SPACE and you should see a "Succes" text displayed on the bottom.
Thanks for the reply.

Is there a TIMING issue? I seem to need to do shift shift space. And it does not always work.

I am trying to get the ROTATE ini file to work to change orientation but have no success.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:47 PM   #93
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
"Shift,Shift,Space" is the correct default shortcut.
Yes, there is a timing, you can change it in the launchpad.ini file. You can change all the shortcuts to whatever you like too by modifying the *.ini files. Just do "Shift,Shift,Space" to load the changes.
The rotation works just fine here (good idea, dsmid!). You just need to copy the rotate.ini file to the launchpad directory and press "Shift,Shift,Space" to load it. After that, "Shift,R" should rotate your screen.

Last edited by janvanmaar; 02-27-2011 at 04:51 PM.
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:25 AM   #94
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Use for Read to Me function?

Has anyone used this utility to create a shortcut for the Read to Me function? I think its supposed to be alt - sym (or maybe shift-sym ? ) I don't have a kindle (yet) but I'm thinking about one for use by my mother, who is legally blind. She could use the text to speach function, but finding the correct button combination to press would be difficult.

I'd like to be able to set a keyboard shortcut to turn the TTS on or off from any one single button.

I'll probably try downloading the files for the readme, but thought I'd ask if anyone else had done this.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:21 AM   #95
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
FF2, there should be only one key pressed at a time.
I.e. Shift down, shift up, R down, R up. There's a timeout for pressing the second key (R) though, you have to be fast enough.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:58 AM   #96
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
Quote:
She could use the text to speach function, but finding the correct button combination to press would be difficult.

I'd like to be able to set a keyboard shortcut to turn the TTS on or off from any one single button.
I don't think you can use a single button to launch an action with the current launchpad. You have to use an activator(currently Shift) and key combination. However, you can use a combination that is more conveniently located than the default Alt+Sym, for instance "Shift,Z" (button in the lower right corner followed by a button right above him) could be easy to find by touch.
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #97
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
FF2, there should be only one key pressed at a time.
I.e. Shift down, shift up, R down, R up. There's a timeout for pressing the second key (R) though, you have to be fast enough.
Aha, thanks. I think it may be a timing issue for me. I just practiced a bit and I may be finding the sweet spot.

I am not sure where I got the ShiftShift idea. Also, I tried that rotate.ini.zip file but it seems to want to highlight text. Maybe I'm invoking it at the wrong point.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:52 AM   #98
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kindle Dictaphone

If you want to turn you Kindle into a dictaphone, just unzip and copy this file to your launchpad folder.
A S command (= Shift,A,S sequence) then starts a new recording, A E command stops it.
The recordings are stored in [USER STORE]/records by default, you can change it by editing RECDIR variable in the ini file.
E.g. changing to "music" will give you an option to play the records with MPlayer.
Generated filenames contain date, time and .wav extension:
2011-02-28_09-32-06.wav

Always make sure to stop the recording or you will run out of space after some time.
Attached Files
File Type: zip record.ini.zip (310 Bytes, 4617 views)
Old 03-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #99
FF2
Wizard

dsmid: That will be quite amazing - actually a use for that tiny hole, ahem, microphone, at the bottom of the Kindle.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #100
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
I am currently trying to debug an issue with using mplayer via launchpad to play internet playlists. I am seeing inconsistent results and need to determine why. Is there anything to assist me more than changing my hot key entries to capture stdout/stderr in the mplayer.ini file and modifying the control.sh to do likewise when it launches mplayer? I don't have WiFi available at home, so I need to take the kindle elsewhere for testing.

I should note that If I have the kindle screen in "landscape" mode I don't see the "^[M Z]" when a hot key is invoked nor the "Success!" message when it completes. Is this something that can be corrected, or should I simply be sure to be in "portrait" mode if I want to see the messages?

Dave
dhdurgee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:15 PM   #101
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@dhdurgee: Run mplayer from a full proper shell over SSH?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 03-03-2011 at 08:19 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #102
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@dhdurgee: Run mplayer from a full proper shell over SSH?
That would prove difficult at this point as I don't have SSH access at this point to the kindle. I gather that is possible if I were to install the usbnetwork, but the cautions in the README_FIRST make me hesitate to do so as I am hardly that experienced a linux person. I have no desire to brick my kindle through some stupid mistake on my part.

Even if I were to set this up the WiFi access is elsewhere, not here at home, so I would need to haul my system along with the kindle there for this testing.

I have a tentative conclusion from some limited testing I did tonight capturing stdout/stderr from the control.sh and mplayer as I attempted to access the internet playlists. It appears as if it is some issue with the WiFi hotspot not permitting access, despite apparently being able to use the kindle browser to access amazon.com on it. Does the kindle browser use a cache of some sort? Perhaps I am seeing that as opposed to an active internet reference at that point.

This might explain the behavior I am seeing, as I have initial success followed by later failures. Is curl smart enough to deal with this sort of WiFi negotiation? Perhaps the kindle store browser is smart enough to deal with this and doing some initial searching there would set things up right?

Dave
dhdurgee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #103
t3ls3th
t3ls3th began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Smile Ignore Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinafrica View Post
Hello t3ls3th, Have you transferred the relevant bin file to the root of the kindle and then launched 'Update Your Kindle' from the kindle itself? That's the only logical reason I can think of for your present predicament.
Cheers
Paul
I figured out my problem, I just wasn't clicking fast enough. When i execute the sequences in under a second, everything works. Thanks.
t3ls3th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #104
Jeton
Enthusiast
Jeton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
If you want to turn you Kindle into a dictaphone, just unzip and copy this file to your launchpad folder.
WOW! Just wow, man!

You should make a list of all you neat little hacks.

Thanks for this.

I would love if we could get some data on the bottom (where it says "Success") e.g. reording time for example or simply saying "RECORDING".

But still this is huge. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first time the mic is being used by an "app" ?
Jeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #105
dsmid
Linux devotee

Preventing screensaver

If you want to be able to prevent screensaver with a simple launchpad command, just unzip and copy this file to your launchpad folder.
P S command (= Shift,P,S sequence) then serves as a switcher.
Attached Files
File Type: zip prevent_ss.ini.zip (292 Bytes, 1574 views)