Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-03-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
coase
Enthusiast
coase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color
Please help! Internet disappeared!

After I installed the latest Calibre my internet connection was interrupted. When i rebooted, the icon showing wireless connections disappeared and I can't seem to restore the internet on this one machine! It doesn't even connect to home network. Help! What can I do??
coase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I don't have the slightest idea.... (I'm a Mac guy anyway)... but two bits says it's not Calibre.....
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:52 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by coase View Post
After I installed the latest Calibre my internet connection was interrupted. When i rebooted, the icon showing wireless connections disappeared and I can't seem to restore the internet on this one machine! It doesn't even connect to home network. Help! What can I do??
What OS do you run? What version of calibre did you install?

The only thing I can say is calibre didn't have anything to do with your apparent loss of wireless connectivity. You might want to Google your symptoms.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:22 AM   #4
coase
Enthusiast
coase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enough

Ok. I think I solved it but it still seems Calibre related. I tried rebooting and power cycling the internet router several times to no avail. Then I uninstalled Calibre, power cycled and rebooted and everything came back. Finally I installed Calibre and everything is fine again. But then I tested transferring a bunch of books to a Nook Color and suddenly the internet went down. But I shut down Calibre and was able to repair the connection.

I'll believe you if you say this **can't** be Calibre, but in my experience, the only time I've had the internet go wonky so often is in the midst of transferring books off Calibre. I'd say about 1 out of 4 times I have to repair the connection. Never happens with lots of other programs.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:07 AM   #5
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Based on what you have told us, there are at least four things that could be causing the problem: a router that is failing, your Nook, your computer, or calibre (and that might be related to the version. You need to try and isolate as many of the possible causes as possible in hopes of narrowing down the problem (my guess is the process of loading books onto your Nook is responsible, not calibre itself, but it certainly wouldn't be the first time I was wrong about something).

First, you list your device as a Sony. Did you have this problem with the Sony or did it start with the Nook?
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
coase
Enthusiast

It started with the Sony but was more intermittent. I've used the Nook a couple of weeks.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #7
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coase View Post
It started with the Sony but was more intermittent. I've used the Nook a couple of weeks.
Did the problem with the Nook get worse before or after you installed the newest version of calibre.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
coase
Enthusiast

It got a bit worse. It did it again. I was converting about 50 books from LRF to epub then transferring to NC. Wireless lost connection. I had to close Calibre, and then reboot.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You have hardware issues. When "transferring" books, all calibre does is use a simple file system call to copy the files onto the device disk.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #10
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Are you using a usb wireless modem. From what you are describing I think your usb port is failing while transferring files. This is just a guess but that is what I think is happening try using a different port if that's true maybe a port behind the pc if you are using the front one
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #11
Archon
Zealot
Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Mac OSX, iPad, iPod, & Nook
Quote:
Are you using a usb wireless modem. From what you are describing I think your usb port is failing while transferring files. This is just a guess but that is what I think is happening try using a different port if that's true maybe a port behind the pc if you are using the front one
I think Dopedangel might be on the right track.

But it may not have to be a wireless USB modem. It could just be a flaky USB port and when you plug your Sony or Nook in, it draws enough power to cause things to go flaky.

Along those lines though,it could be the power supply not handling all you have plugged in.

Try connecting to a different USB port, preferably one in a different hub. So, if that port is in the front of your computer plug into a port in the back.

If it still does it, try disconnecting everything USB except your keyboard and mouse and try again.
Archon is offline   Reply With Quote