Notices

Old 06-12-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
Balerion
Connoisseur
Balerion began at the beginning.

Device: K2i K3w
K2 2.5.2 users : Praise, Scream with Joy, Discuss on this thread

2.5.2 ... wow !!!

My life is now complete !!!!! Well... my K2i is anyway. Yes, I wouldn't mind having a bit more flexibility with the PDF pan and zoom, but that'll be the next thing Amazon will do I think because its probably the biggest negative so far.

Collections addition is awesome !!!! I was prefixing the names of my books just to keep them in their series' where some authors have multiple series eg. Ss01 Ice Station, Ss02 Area 7, Jw01 Seven Ancient Wonders, Jw02 Six Sacred Stones ... all books by Matthew Reilly but in different series... now I don't have to add prefixes in the metadata for every books that are in a series...... yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Another great thing about the collections is that if you "VIEW BY COLLECTIONS" it will show the collections AND the files that aren't in collections so you can see new books you've added and the ones you forgot to add to a collection

SUGGESTION: Have a collection for everything.... I created 2 extra ones titled "z General" and "z Unsorted" (the "z" so that they are the last collections in the list) and I just chucked all the "one hit wonders" and odd files into those collections.

Password Protection .... its about time !!!! although it ain't foolproof (apparently you can reset the kindle really easily... its just deletes all the contents as well, so its not a full theft-deterrent, but still a good addition)

The only other negative about the Password Protection is actually a security-wise positive... the first time I plugged my kindle into my PC after the update, I thought the update had screwed up the networking because Autoplay wouldn't start and I couldn't get the Kindle to pop-up at all even though the chargin light had come on... my cover was closed so I didn't realise that it wanted the password before it would let it connect to the PC !!! Great for security, but not so great for the nerves if you're not aware of the password request.

Anyway, everyone... please reply with a few screams of joy, and suggestions... the more we collect in one spot (suggestions and feedback) the easier it will be to send it all to amazon (almost a petition list, I guess)

Happy Kindling
Balerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
View by collections is now my default view, and I don't intend to ever change it. I love being able to move books between collections right on the device.

The only thing I don't like is that I can no longer display just books or periodicals or personal docs on my home screen. I've simply added my personal docs to collections, but since periodicals can't be put into collections, this seems weird to me.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #3
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I was using 'view by collections' but as I wanted to have the collections stay in the same order for my home page, (and not jump around all the time) I now name the collections I want to keep at the top of the home page with **(collection name) and those I want to have next start with *(collection name) and those I want to be last I name #(collection name). Then I sort the home page using Title (not collections). This way, the collection order remains the same and never moves in order, and collections takes up the first couple of pages on the home screen (and all the books follow after but you can ignore those). Thanks to lynjaekel and Luvmy4brats on kindleboards forum for these ideas. Luv also worked out that thru Calibre, when you have a series of books you want to appear in the correct order, by changing the publication date so that the first book in a series has the most recent publication date, then that book will sort first in the list so they are read in the correct order.

Last edited by Pushka; 06-12-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I love it. I second the comment about Collections view - leaving the recently added books to be added to collections. It also makes deleting books a lot easier, if you have a lot to delete. Just remove them from collections, and then view by collections and you can easily see what to delete.

The only suggestion I have, and I did communicate it to Amazon, is that view by collections has to be alphabetical!!!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
Balerion
Connoisseur
Balerion began at the beginning.

Device: K2i K3w
I have to admit that the jumbled order of Collection titles is getting annoying now that I've realised it does it.... so naming them with Prefixes doesn't do a damn thing in Collection View... hope we get a real small update (like 2.3.4 ... 60Kb) to change this... if enough people tell Amazon on their feedback channels I reckon they'll do it.

I like how Photo folders can be added to collections, but seems funny that periodicals can't be added to collections (wouldn't know myself... just going by trekchick's comment above)...

LMAO I reckon Amazon should pull the 2.5.2 rollout (again... LOL) and change these few little things.
Balerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Does the Collections feature require Whispernet access? I believe I read somewhere that the tags are stored on the Amazon server, which suggests that you need to be connected in order to set up a collection. Have I got that right?
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:11 PM   #7
cicsos2
Enthusiast
cicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to behold

Device: kindle Kbd, Fire(N2A), & 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Does the Collections feature require Whispernet access? I believe I read somewhere that the tags are stored on the Amazon server, which suggests that you need to be connected in order to set up a collection. Have I got that right?
No - I've manually installed 2.5.2 and created two collections - all with the Whisperjet turned off.
cicsos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #8
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
The two features I'm loving are Collections and Password Protection.

Collections has just made my Kindle so much more user-friendly. I'd only had it for about 6 weeks and already the list was 7 pages long, so being able to sort into Collections has made everything much easier to find. Yes, I'm a little bummed that subscriptions/feeds can't go into Collections, but I'm still facing 2 pages of info rather than 7 when I switch it on, so overall I'm very happy.

Also Password Protection is a godsend. My company wouldn't allow me to read proprietary documents until we had Password Protection, so this has really expanded the usefulness of my Kindle.

I find the Popular Highlights kind of amusing, but not really that helpful. I can't say I really care that much what other people found highlight-worthy about the book I'm reading. Isn't my opinion the most important in the world? Hmmm?

I don't know if this was part of the update or not, but the browser on my kindle has become more nimble too. Previously I wasn't able to do any real surfing on the web without crashing the Kindle and causing it to reboot, but now I can. (It's still way less spry than a netbook or iPad, but it's actually useable now.)
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
You don't need whispernet, but books that still have DRM have to be redownloaded again. I had some TPZ books, and since I was too lazy to dedrm them, I had to redownload them - got an error message that this was a different account. So I bet anyone that went from a K1 to a K2 will have a problem transferring books, unless you have removed DRM.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #10
antproofcase
antproofcase began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 (US)
Kindle 2.5.2 for US/Global

Looks like they've gone global with the update at about 3PM my local time, CDT (GMT -5). Now I can finally see what all the fuss was about...I have already organized my collections, and linked to facebook, inspected my one most accessed pdf file for the new features, etc. Preliminary inspection is very positive.
antproofcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #11
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
The collections are nice, but I don't see any improvement in the standard fonts at all other than 2 new sizes. I'm not sure it was worth giving up my font hack.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:04 PM   #12
zyz
zyz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
For those of us who read ancient greek, breathing marks on vowels without any other diacritic are no longer reversed. Admittedly it's a pretty obscure problem but it was a stumbling block for me and I'm really glad (and surprised) they addressed it.
zyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:02 PM   #13
aslterp
aslterp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balerion View Post
I have to admit that the jumbled order of Collection titles is getting annoying now that I've realised it does it.... so naming them with Prefixes doesn't do a damn thing in Collection View... hope we get a real small update (like 2.3.4 ... 60Kb) to change this... if enough people tell Amazon on their feedback channels I reckon they'll do it.

I like how Photo folders can be added to collections, but seems funny that periodicals can't be added to collections (wouldn't know myself... just going by trekchick's comment above)...

LMAO I reckon Amazon should pull the 2.5.2 rollout (again... LOL) and change these few little things.
I wish I had known it would leave my collections list in the order I set it up - reverse order that is!
I would have put more thought into it if I had known it would leave it that way! Where are my archives -0 it says 0 Archives???
aslterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:01 AM   #14
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Aslterp, the collection order changes all the time, according to the most recent system. As soon as you do anything to a collection, that collection will appear first. In order to fix the order, you need to use a symbol like * for all your collections, and then sort by Title, and not by collections. That way, the collections will always appear in the same order, * then alphabetical listing.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:30 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
2.5.2 is AWESOME
Actually, 2.5.x sucks eggs and that is being nice.

2.5.x has changed how the DRM works. So the tools to remove the DRM no longer work with eBooks downloaded via 2.5.x. I know there are other ways of stripping Amazon's DRM. But if you've been doing it via the K2, you are going to hate 2.5.x.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote