Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-16-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
Wally
Wally began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
5" vs 6" resolution and words per screen

I am struggling over whether to purchase a 5" or 6" device. As I understand it almost all devices are 800x600. Are the font sizes different such that a 5" device has less text per screen? Or, is the amount of text per screen the same with smaller text on the 5"?
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
This depends on the device (i.e. on the software). Some display fonts at the same physical size on 5" and 6", so they show less words per line on the 5" screen. Others display fonts at the same number of pixels on 5" and 6", so they show the same number of words per line but the font is physically smaller on the 5" screen.

In the end, you need to find a comfortable font size and it would not be surprising for this to end up with fewer words per line (and per page) on the 5" screen. Note that you can usually rotate to landscape. I never do this on a 6" screen, but I sometimes do on a 5" screen (I use a relatively large font).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
Wally
Wally began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Thanks. Does anyone know what 5" devices display by pixel rather than physical size so I can have the same words per screen just smaller?
I'm not worried about small fonts; I still have a few years before the warranty on my eyes runs out.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Thanks. Does anyone know what 5" devices display by pixel rather than physical size so I can have the same words per screen just smaller?
The EZ Reader Pocket Pro (Hanlin V5, BeBook Mini, etcetera) display fonts with the same number of pixels as the 6" Basic. It also now has 9 font sizes for PDF and ePub. The Sony PRS-300 reportedly has the same size fonts as the PRS-505, i.e. it displays physical size, and it only has 3 font sizes. As I said, in the end what matters is how the font looks on the screen. If the PRS-300 happens to have a good font size for your eyes then you are good to go. However, I do think the Pocket Pro is a more capable device at about the same price. The PocketBook 360 has lots of font sizes for most formats, but I'm not certain how many it has for DRMed PDFs and ePubs (or how they compare to the 6" 301+).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If it was up to me, I would go witha 6" device. The size difference is not that great and you will get a larger screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 10:03 PM   #6
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
My 5" Jetbook fits comfortably in my pocket, goes where I go.

Very easy to read on and has a wide range of font sizes.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:04 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If it was up to me, I would go witha 6" device. The size difference is not that great and you will get a larger screen.
I'd probably go 6" too, but my Opus is a lot easier to fit in a coat pocket or something than my Kindle or Sony so if the portability is a factor 5" might be worth a look.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote