Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-02-2017, 09:54 PM   #1
bauerhjb
Connoisseur
bauerhjb began at the beginning.

Device: laptop, netbook, LG & Nextus tablets - Window 10, 8.1, 7,
Ver 3.5 = inline edit & paste errors

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere... I upgraded to version 3.5 from version 2.82. Using Win 8.1 on HP Pavilion. I have been frustrated by two changes? in the update.

I usually did some editing of book metadata in the main view by highlighting the text to change and then over typing it. Now this action is refused by bumping out of the cell and down into some other cell below it. I can only inline edit if I first delete the date and then go back to type it in. Very minor but a pain if one does a lot of editing in this mode.

Secondly, when in the book detail view, cutting and pasting into the comment section (paste & match style) from different sources such as from within a book, causes a complete shut-down of calibre. Poof, just gone. This had gone away as a problem for about two years but whatever fixed it or caused it appears to have returned.

Thank you for all the other improvements and for the high quality program you have created and maintained. Sorry to bother you with these little bits but sometimes they can come from/cause other bigger issues, so FYI. Thanks for any help.
bauerhjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:49 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It has never been the case that you can just highlight something and then type to change it (at least not intentionally). You have to press F2 first to get into edit mode, then type.

As for paste and match style, still works for me...what OS are you running?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:07 AM   #3
bauerhjb
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It has never been the case that you can just highlight something and then type to change it (at least not intentionally). You have to press F2 first to get into edit mode, then type.

As for paste and match style, still works for me...what OS are you running?
Perhaps I am not explaining it as I should. In the main view (where there are the grid lines) I could double click in a column (such as author), and use the mouse to cover the part of the text I want to change, and then type over the top of the text replacing it as I type. i.e. Cathleen should be Catronia, highlight over hleen and type in ronia. This is editing from the main view without going into the "edit metadata" view. This method has worked for me from the beginning of using calibre back in 2010 so I am rather in the habit of using it.

Also when doing such a double click now I don't get bounced out to the next line down but the mouse point lands down six or seven lines below.

As to the paste into the comments section causing calibre to close, it most frequently happens when I am pasting text from inside a book or from a website. I think it must have to do with the original formatting because as a work around I used to first paste the text into NotePad and then transfer it to the comments area which seemed to work.

I am running Win 8.1 Thank you for your help.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:51 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Double clicking will by default open the book in the viewer. I assume you have changed the Tweak to have it edit the cell instead. You are probably experiencing the same issue as described here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=289057

As for paste and match style, if you have some example webpage the pasting of which causes a crash, post it and I will see if I can reproduce.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:08 AM   #5
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
I'm having the same problem. windows 10 pro 64. When correcting series information (such as the number the ebook falls in the series) I have always highlighted the number and just typed in the new number. Now, after highlighting, as I start to type it jumps down the screen to a different line. I have to highlight the entire series information and retype everything to get it to work. I am not having the problem that https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=289057 talks about.

When you say "I assume you have changed the Tweak to have it edit the cell instead.", I have never changed a Tweak for a cell edit - not sure how to - was this an addition/change in 3.5? If so, how do I fix the Tweak?

I am in awe of how Calibre does so many things flawlessly - this is probably one of the few times that a change has annoyed me.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:02 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The list of books scrolling when you click is the symptom described in that thread and it will hopefully (I cannot be sure as I cannot reproduce it) no longer happen in calibre 3.6, so just wait for the next release.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:47 AM   #7
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The list of books scrolling when you click is the symptom described in that thread and it will hopefully (I cannot be sure as I cannot reproduce it) no longer happen in calibre 3.6, so just wait for the next release.
Thanks, as always, you are so quick to check things out. I'll await the next release.

Lyn
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:23 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerhjb View Post
I think it must have to do with the original formatting because as a work around I used to first paste the text into NotePad and then transfer it to the comments area which seemed to work.
FYI ==>> 5 Free Tools to Paste Copied Texts Without Formatting

I use Clipboard Fusion, primarily because of its scrub on double copy feature.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:47 PM   #9
bauerhjb
Connoisseur

Ver 3.5 = in line edit & paste errors - fixed !

Thank you to everyone. Version 3.6 seems to have cured my in line edit problems. Paste, well, it is a sporadic issue. I can live with it... Thanks again.

Tags
inline edit, version 3.5