Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Problem when changing cover

I have been trying to change the cover image on a bunch of BN Classics Editions. After I add the pictorial cover and do an epub to epub conversion, the resulting version does indeed show the new cover, but the page after the cover is black when I use ADE as a viewer; with Calibre's viewer, I see a small box with a question mark on a black background, apparently indicating a missing image.

Why am I getting this black page, and more importantly, how do I get rid of it? If it matters, the DRM was stripped outside of Calibre, not using the plug-in.

I am not very tech savvy. Thanks for any help.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Try using the remove first image conversion option under Structure Detection.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:24 AM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for your response. I finally tried your suggestion, but I got exactly the same result as before--still have that black page after the new cover. Any other ideas?
Old 11-17-2011, 07:42 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Why am I getting this black page, and more importantly, how do I get rid of it? If it matters, the DRM was stripped outside of Calibre, not using the plug-in.
You can open the book with Sigil and easily remove that page.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

I've never used Sigil. Can I use it instead of Calibre in the first place to just change a cover?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:24 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Deleting the rogue image page in Sigil is easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I've never used Sigil. Can I use it instead of Calibre in the first place to just change a cover?
I'm not experienced in this aspect of Sigil, but you definitely could use Sigil for this purpose. For more precise info ask for specifics over in the Sigil forum.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

OK, thanks--I'll look into it.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Deleting the rogue image page in Sigil is easy.

I'm not experienced in this aspect of Sigil, but you definitely could use Sigil for this purpose. For more precise info ask for specifics over in the Sigil forum.
My trick for that in Sigil:
Open the book in Sigil
(It usually opens to the cover)
Place the insert point (blinking cursor) just to the right of the cover.
(you may have to open up a new line in some cases)

Use the Insert Image Icon (black screen), do NOT use the Add File in the book browser, and navigate to the image file on your computer.

Select it.

You should now have BOTH covers showing.
Use the Right arrow key 2 times (I find this easier to control the cursor placement) and move the cursor just to the Right of the OLD image.
Tap the Del Key.

Run Flightcrew (green tick), it should show a yellow item which is your old cover.

In the book browser, delete THAT NAMED file from Images.
Your book is again EPUB compliant (assuming you had no Red items showing)
Save
If you mess up, just reload the title from the history list, selecting DISCARD when warned. Try again

Last edited by theducks; 11-17-2011 at 10:01 AM.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote