Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-26-2011, 06:49 AM   #1
SpeedRacer
SpeedRacer began at the beginning.

Device: HTC ADR6300 Verizon (HTC Droid Incredible)
Good Morning!

I'm a married Dad of two living near Toledo with the wife and our kids. I'm new to ebooks and hope to learn how to tie it all together using Calibre on my computer and Calibre Library on my HTC Incredible android smartphone. See you in the forums!
SpeedRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Since you are new to electronic books let me give you a short primer designed to help get you up and running with electronic books as fasta as possible.

First you will need something on which to read those electronic books that you read, your HTC Droid Incredible can get you started, simply web surf to tinyurl.com/28zbaf8 and pick your operating system on the right side of the screen, I think the Droid uses android as the OS. Then tinyurl.com/3mhch3r which is the Barns and Nobels reader and http://overdrive.com/Software/OMC/Default.aspx, which is the Over Drive Media Console - this one will let you borrow books from your local library.

These readers that I have pointed you to will allow you to get started with electronic books and reading them on the HTC Droid Incredible that you are walking around with. The only drawback with using your HTC Droid is that it has a very small screen and you will need to be scrolling all of the time. The advatage here is that you have just added electronic book reading for $0.

Now that you have something to start with in terms of an electronic reader lets look at which full sized reader is best for you. Pleae look below at the statements that I have written below that describes a different type of electronic book reader and the associated reader with that statement, select the statement that best describes you and your needs then buy the reader that is associated with that statement:

1) I want the absolutely the simplest reader to use - Kobo
2) A great flexible interface is the most important thing to me -Nook Simple Touch
3) I want to be able to read absolutely any format electronic book that I come across, I do not want to be confined to one store - Pocketbook Lite
4) I frequently read unusal and off beat books - Amazon Kindle
5) I want to read low cost books, typically below $4 each - Amazon Kindle
6) I need a reader with a big screen and fine resolution for reading diagrams or reading a whole page at once - Amazon Kindle DX
7) I want to read foreign langege books, non-english, bookeen

Now you should have a fairly good idea which reader is right for you and you haev a headstart using that HTC Incredible to get you started reading.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
SpeedRacer
SpeedRacer began at the beginning.

Device: HTC ADR6300 Verizon (HTC Droid Incredible)
Thanks! I'll be doig some homework and then I'll return to the forums for pecific questions.
SpeedRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, SpeedRacer. Happy e-reading and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote