Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-28-2006, 04:25 PM   #1
pdam
Groupie
pdam doesn't litterpdam doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, iPaq, Psion5&7, Blackberry
e-books and book clubs don't gel

I've been trying to get my Ludite wife to at least give an e-book a try (I have finally managed and as a non believer she was perfectly happy with the experience, however still couldn't see the benefit for her personally).

So ... I had a look at what she is and has been reading. Various magazines (non available in e-format to speak of), a few classics (I could find most of these on manybooks) and books she reads for her two book clubs ... this is where the problems was.

Given that my wife wants and has to read the books on her book club list, the fact that only about half were available on Sony Connect (I actually have an iLiad, for which even less content is available for the average non-technical reader) means that such a device simply isn't yet practical for the average non-technical avid reader ...

Does anyone have experience/knowledge of eInk type devices being adopted by non-technical, general (rather than vertical interest) interest readers yet?
pdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:48 PM   #2
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
My wife used the iLiad to read a paper send to her by e-mail as a preparation for a discussion about the paper (actually a series of scans of a chapter from a book). I put the chapter through OCR as well as produce the pages as the scans on the iLiad (the scans were send as PDF)
She liked it a bit better than reading from the computer monitor.

(My printer was out of ink then, so we saved a tree )
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2006, 11:46 PM   #3
airlik
Connoisseur
airlik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I think it would be a good idea for Sony to do a promo/tie-in involving book clubs. I've never read a single book that says "Oprah" on the cover as a suggestion, but a lot of people do. If all those books were available on the Reader, that would a good thing for the reader - esp if they said things in the show like "also available on the Sony Reader". My wife is in a book club, and while I can't say much for the books they choose, they get the list from somewhere... I could research more, but that's something Sony should do - there are apparently lists of books on the 'net that book groups use to come up with reading lists. Find out what they are, and make sure they're on the Connect store. See if you can get a sponsorship and let the folks who use the book list know that they are all available for the Reader. Seriously, the folks my wife does her book club with are just the type who would love to spend bucks on a Reader with all the books for the year on it.
airlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:46 AM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've said in other places that adopting popular magazines to e-book format could spur reader sales significantly. A discounted e-subscription deal, possibly sold with an additional discount as a promotion with a reader, could be a great promo tool.

(And now, get "Oprah" magazine with your Sony Reader, at 20% of the newsstand price!)

There's no reason it couldn't work with a book club. The e-books just have to be made available. Perhaps if enough book club members asked for it...

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 11-29-2006 at 10:49 AM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:57 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
This reminds me of a chat I had with Bill McCoy from Adobe... he told me that one way to make e-books more successful among book clubs is to make e-book technology social networking aware. For instance, club members should be able to share their annotations and reading lists through e-book devices.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2006, 12:05 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by airlik
I've never read a single book that says "Oprah" on the cover as a suggestion, but a lot of people do.
There might be some potential there -- you know how she loves to give stuff to whole audiences ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:28 PM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Oprah... giving away Sony Readers... with built-in subscriptions to "Oprah" magazine... to everyone in the audience! Now THAT'S promotion!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote