Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #1
tools44
tools44 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3rd gen
Unable to run Calibre portable from Dropbox

After the last update to the portable app, Calibre will not open when trying to run from Dropbox. Previous versions opened without any issues. Any idea why this might be happening? I've tried opening it from multiple computers. Thanks
tools44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:53 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
What do you mean, "run from Dropbox"? calibre is not a cloud app.

If you mean, storing the calibre portable folder in your Dropbox sync folder, I don't know why it won't work*, but it is a very bad idea to do so -- it is a good thing it didn't work.

* Maybe Dropbox was locking up the tempfiles calibre tried to create or something?

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-10-2014 at 02:55 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2014, 02:53 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....ing-on-windows
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:40 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
If you mean, storing the calibre portable folder in your Dropbox sync folder, I don't know why it won't work*, but it is a very bad idea to do so -- it is a good thing it didn't work.
I've been running calibre portable from my dropbox folder for over 3 years. If I edit metadata or do conversions I pause syncing, but all other functions have never caused trouble.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I've been running calibre portable from my dropbox folder for over 3 years. If I edit metadata or do conversions I pause syncing, but all other functions have never caused trouble.
Might I ask a whole lot of why?

Besides for the part where you uselessly save a bunch of executables that don't need syncing, and save various cache and temp info in Dropbox which are used by other things as well, like the thumbnails cache, hardly tragic if it dies, but still tries to send sync and consumes bandwidth which equals connection speed, and your settings which can and will be mucked around with and revert changes -- I make sure to only save a one-way mirror of my settings -- what is the point? You might as well just use the regular install, and stick your library in Dropbox -- something many here do.
Advert
Old 08-10-2014, 11:24 PM   #6
tools44

why use the portable app? i have the desktop version at home; my libraries are in dropbox. if i want to pull up calibre on my work computer, instead of installing calibre locally, i would run the portable from dropbox. that is the very definition of why you would want to run it as a portable app. instead of carrying around a thumb drive, i keep my portable apps in dropbox.

as DoctorOhh also chipped in, i have been running it this way for years. no problems with it. now it doesn't work.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:32 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
So, what actually happens? Does an error get displayed? Or something else? And exactly what version are you trying to run? You do say "After the last update", but does that mean 1.48 or the beta? Will other executables run from dropbox? Have you tried reinstalling the version that worked and checked that it still works?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:58 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I still don't get why any computer on which you can install Dropbox, you cannot install calibre as well, and simply put the libraries in Dropbox?

I assume the regular install works fine?
Old 08-11-2014, 12:27 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I still don't get why any computer on which you can install Dropbox, you cannot install calibre as well, and simply put the libraries in Dropbox?
Installing calibre on either computer is not the issue. When I had two separate installs it was difficult keeping them setup exactly the same. Placing one install of calibre in dropbox allows my home and my work machines to have the exact same plugins, menus, and other customizations. This way they are always in sync.

Quote:
I assume the regular install works fine?
I wouldn't assume that, but the answer would be enlightening. After trying a regular install I think he should follow Kovid's link he provided in post 3 and rule out all other suspects.

Unrelated, I also have my PortableApps in my Dropbox along with a handful of small programs which I use. This gives me a consistent set of programs I can use across computers.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-11-2014 at 03:52 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:44 AM   #10
tools44

sorry, should not have been so vague.

running portable 1.48 stable.
NOTHING happens. doesn't open. period. no error message. and yes, the desktop install of calibre works fine.

all other portable apps run from Dropbox, no problem. i have not tried installing older version. not sure at what version the portable stopped working when trying to run from Dropbox.

as for eschwartz, questioning why I might not want to install on any machine is silly. you can access your dropbox folder from the internet; you don't have to "install" dropbox to access. a lot of companies have limitations on what software you can install locally on their machines, if at all. but the dropbox folder can be accessed from any web browser.

do you understand what portable apps are for?

Last edited by tools44; 08-11-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:47 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Then you are more than welcome to download ~150MB plus the entire size of your library every time you wish to run calibre, and manually upload all changed files through the web interface so you don't lose your changes. I will stick with my flashdrive and save the extra hours of work.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:33 PM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by tools44 View Post
running portable 1.48 stable.
NOTHING happens. doesn't open. period. no error message. and yes, the desktop install of calibre works fine.
If the desktop version works then something in your dropbox is corrupt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tools44 View Post
all other portable apps run from Dropbox, no problem. i have not tried installing older version. not sure at what version the portable stopped working when trying to run from Dropbox.
This is not a calibre issue this is a problem with your particular install. Try deleting the items in the calibre folder then reinstall. Make sure Dropbox syncing is paused during the install.

If that doesn't work then start from scratch. Move the Calibre Portable folder out of dropbox. With syncing paused install calibre portable fresh. Now copy everything in your calibre library back into the calibre library folder in dropbox.