Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 08-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
allenzuk
allenzuk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Extra pages in graphic novel converted from ePub

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums but have been using them for a while. I've seen a couple of threads on this topic but I was hoping someone might have more up-to-date information.

I'm creating a commercial digital graphic novel in all formats - each page consists of a full-page image. I've started with a CBZ file which I've converted to EPUB in Calibre. I've then opened it up in Sigil and replaced problem images, edited the TOC, added all metadata and a copyright info page, and made a few other tweaks to get it looking and working perfectly in all EPUB readers.

I tried converting the EPUB to MOBI with Kindle Previewer, and it discarded my cover image (no big deal as I'll add this during upload) and TOC (although NCX view shows all my chapters), so I tried opening it in Calibre and converting to MOBI that way. It looks good and works well in all devices in the Kindle Previewer now, with the exception of the original Kindle. There is an extra blank page after each page. I can certainly understand why this might happen - the images might just be a bit too tall (710 pixels in the original EPUB) which forces the page to two pages, or maybe there's a bit of extra code or a space after each image which was added during the conversion.

My question is, has anyone else successfully solved this problem? I don't want to restart from CBZ and go directly to MOBI because I need to make so may adjustments to the file while it is in EPUB format. Could I adjust a copy of the EPUB before converting to MOBI - maybe run a search-and-replace to set all the image heights to 100%? Just thought I'd throw this out there before I put any more hours into this project.

Thanks in advance!

***EDITED by OP: OK, it looks like setting height to 100% works in the Kindle previewer, but I'm wondering if I should use height: 100% and max-width: 100% to ensure the edges don't go off the screen - I don't know if this will cause the images to scale without regard to aspect ratio - I will test this. I'd prefer to use SVG but I'm not sure if this is supported completely on the Kindle. Anyone know offhand?

Last edited by allenzuk; 08-29-2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: issue updated
allenzuk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blank pages, conversion, graphic novel, mobi