Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
WDM.Amy
PE User
WDM.Amy began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Use any AC adapter on PE?

Can I use a universal power adapter for my PE assuming it has the correct voltage and amerage? Is there a risk of it hurting my PE? I would like to have a charger at home and at work.
WDM.Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
Turtlehead
Enthusiast
Turtlehead began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM.Amy View Post
Can I use a universal power adapter for my PE assuming it has the correct voltage and amerage? Is there a risk of it hurting my PE? I would like to have a charger at home and at work.
I would be careful. If you look at the plug that comes with the PE, you will see it has plastic into the opening. Regular plugs that size do not have that plastic going into the opening. I only guess that the OEM plug is that way to protect when plugging it into the headphone socket. I have power supplies with the correct specs and will probably use them but I will be super careful where I plug it into.
Turtlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
as long as it outputs 12V, yes. If it outputs less than ~500mA you won't get a fast charge though, if any(it will still keep you from losing battery while using though).
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
WDM.Amy
PE User

I noticed a lot of posts about using alternate chargers from a few months ago. Did anyone using the PowerLine ones have any issues? I am very skittish about breaking my PE since my EE just went down...
Old 07-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
Turtlehead
Enthusiast

I said in above post: "Regular plugs that size do not have that plastic going into the opening"

I should have said regular plugs that size may not have that plastic going into the opening. The five or six I have do not.
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
I noticed a lot of posts about using alternate chargers from a few months ago. Did anyone using the PowerLine ones have any issues? I am very skittish about breaking my PE since my EE just went down...
The main things you need to be careful about are, the voltage must be 12v, amperage can be anything greater than 500 mA. The plug must be the same size both the external barrel and the hole - and if it of the interchangeable type then you must make sure the outer barrel is negative (-).

To set your mind at rest my EE has 5 units that I use to charge it, the one that came with it, 3 that I made and one that is a universal charger with a set of plugs. All of them work without problems.

I'm not sure what Turtlehead is talking about - all concentric plugs have a plastic insulator between the inner and outer conductors.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #7
Turtlehead
Enthusiast

"I'm not sure what Turtlehead is talking about - all concentric plugs have a plastic insulator between the inner and outer conductors. "

The OEM has the plastic insulator extending into the opening of the positive conductor. This way if you insert the plug into the headphone jack it will not connect to any part of the headphone jack. The plugs that I have and I have five or six of the same size and maybe 50 of other sizes, have the inner conductor (Positive) extending out to the end of the plug. If you insert this type plug in the headphone jack then you have a good chance of putting 12 VDC into your head phone circuit.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:19 PM   #8
Turtlehead
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlehead View Post
"I'm not sure what Turtlehead is talking about - all concentric plugs have a plastic insulator between the inner and outer conductors. "

The OEM has the plastic insulator extending into the opening of the positive conductor. This way if you insert the plug into the headphone jack it will not connect to any part of the headphone jack. The plugs that I have and I have five or six of the same size and maybe 50 of other sizes, have the inner conductor (Positive) extending out to the end of the plug. If you insert this type plug in the headphone jack then you have a good chance of putting 12 VDC into your head phone circuit.
I don't mean to beat this to death but it could save someone a migraine.
Here is a youtube video I just uploaded showing what I am trying to explain. You can see the difference in the end of the plug. Some of my other power supply plugs do have the extended insulator but only two or three out of maybe fifty.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0UEP0NzkFA
Old 07-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #9
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
I really don't think that either plug would short out in the headphone jack, they are designed completely different(I can try though if someone wants)...

Also, nice lawn Turtlehead...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #10
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlehead View Post
I don't mean to beat this to death but it could save someone a migraine.
Here is a youtube video I just uploaded showing what I am trying to explain. You can see the difference in the end of the plug. Some of my other power supply plugs do have the extended insulator but only two or three out of maybe fifty.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0UEP0NzkFA
OK now I know what you are talking about.

I just checked in our stores and had a look at the concentric plugs then had a chat with my repair tech.

Unless the PE has some very strange headphone socket that we have not seen, there is no way that you will get voltage into the sound circuit with either type of plug. The worst thing that could happen is to have a plug that has a barrel longer than 9 mm (edge length), in which case it will bend the innermost contact and so make using the socket for headphones rather unreliable. The solution to that is to use a small length of sleeving to reduce the inserted length to 9 mm.

Edit: Just to add pictures of a 12 mm long plug with a sleeve fitted to reduce length to 9 mm (sleeve in red).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plug02.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	74407  

Last edited by ivanjt; 07-15-2011 at 12:54 PM.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #11
WDM.Amy
PE User

OK, thanks for all the feedback. I think I might be ordering one from Amazon when I have enough items to purchase to qualify for free shipping :-)
Old 07-15-2011, 08:05 PM   #12
arcticmaniac
Connoisseur
arcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipse

Device: entourage pe
Quote:
OK, thanks for all the feedback. I think I might be ordering one from Amazon when I have enough items to purchase to qualify for free shipping :-)
I am using the powerline. The cheaper one without the usb is only about 0.6A while the one with the USB is 1.3A which is what I have. The Car adapter also works. I have both. I don't know if the 0.6A works though.
arcticmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adapter, pocket edge