Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-27-2007, 01:17 PM   #16
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
doEnterHold is a function I created, essentially for my own purposes, but it could be overridden by new hacks. I use it in the Battery Icon hack to allow me to check the value of the battery when I want to, instead of looking at it the whole time the Reader's on.

Pausing and restarting music is more difficult than changing songs. main.xml doesn't include everything the reader can do, so sometimes we get lucky and there are functions we can use, but sometimes we have to roll our own. It's on my list to investigate, but I'm not sure if it's possible.
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:19 PM   #17
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

In related news, I'm not having much luck figuring out how to get access to the suspend functionality. It really looked like I could just call the functions I see there, but they don't seem to do what I expected. If any of the other developers has an idea on this, please let me know.
Advert
Old 08-27-2007, 10:06 PM   #18
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
this is great!

some ideas:
what about turning the hack explanations into tooltips? (or a textbox that follows focus) At the very least, make a scrolling textbox in the hacks help window: one more hack and the thing won't be readable at 1024x768.
also, it'd be helpful if selecting a hack tht remaps buttons automatically changed the choice on the right and grayed it out. I dunno if the data for this is there already, but it could also be used to guard agains key conflicts.

and lastly:
is it possible to use libprs or something to automate copying files to a Reader? This would be convenient, but also extremely useful for people who don't have SD card readers (like me :-( ).
and on a related but more anal note: I don't like how there's so many files in the root directory with igorsk's toolkit. it's possible to put them in a directory. in fact, i should probably go do it (i've done this a little bit before)

p.s. i don't get it... what's the point of suspend? the power button does this job well. Can the power button even be remapped?

Last edited by alex_d; 08-27-2007 at 10:15 PM.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:59 AM   #19
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
Awesome! This is a real help. Thanks!

---Michael
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:53 AM   #20
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d View Post
and lastly:
is it possible to use libprs or something to automate copying files to a Reader? This would be convenient, but also extremely useful for people who don't have SD card readers (like me :-( ).
I guess this utility could copy the files to mem card while the prs500 while usb-connected, then a reboot of the prs500 calling on the new mem-card boot files to enable the new firmware changes..

hmmm.. wouldn't you ultimatly need to pull the mem-card in order to remove the boot files from the mem-card so the prs500 dosen't keep from booting into the formware menu again..? Don't you need a PC for that?

F.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2007, 12:36 PM   #21
Nogg
Literate!

Quote:
this is great!

some ideas:
what about turning the hack explanations into tooltips? (or a textbox that follows focus) At the very least, make a scrolling textbox in the hacks help window: one more hack and the thing won't be readable at 1024x768.
also, it'd be helpful if selecting a hack tht remaps buttons automatically changed the choice on the right and grayed it out. I dunno if the data for this is there already, but it could also be used to guard agains key conflicts.

and lastly:
and on a related but more anal note: I don't like how there's so many files in the root directory with igorsk's toolkit. it's possible to put them in a directory. in fact, i should probably go do it (i've done this a little bit before)

p.s. i don't get it... what's the point of suspend? the power button does this job well. Can the power button even be remapped?

These are all great suggestions. I threw those help boxes in there at the last minute, so I just used the quickest thing I could. I definitely intend to put them into a real form. Tooltips for that control are a little wonky, so I opted not to bother with that.

Automatically remapping buttons could be done with a bit more data. I intentionally tried to keep the format simple so as to be more accessible. I'll consider that.

I also would like to automate the process more. Once I get some of the other things out of the way, I'll see about hooking it up with libprs.

For suspend, some people may want to have an additional button that allows them more easily to shut the thing down. I read right before I go to bed, and sometimes I fall asleep with the Reader. In those circumstances, I really just want to bang my hand across the thing to turn it off. (Though, before I started using doQuit it wasn't as big of a deal because I could just put it down and let the device turn itself off)
Old 08-28-2007, 01:36 PM   #22
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogg View Post

For suspend, some people may want to have an additional button
Right, it's just the ability to remap the button which is desriable.

Looking forward to the Suspend and Audio-Pause features, if they are feasible, thanks so much Nogg for your amazing effort.

PS: Are you upping the verson number with each updated release? I wasn't sure if 1.0 contained all the great addtions you are working on.

2 cents.
F.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:47 PM   #23
Nogg
Literate!

gah, no. I probably should, but some of the changes aren't to the executable itself. I'll start incrementing via the zip filename with the next build.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:02 PM   #24
Nogg
Literate!

New version posted with clock fix and better hack list help window.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:17 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
this is great!

some ideas:

and lastly:

I don't know the way to do this, but if you put your SD card into your reader, you can use libprs500 to copy the installer and the hacks over to the SD card to then use to install the hacks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:43 PM   #26
flamaest
Groupie

sorry, did you say you got Pause or suspend working?

Thanks,
F.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:43 AM   #27
Nogg
Literate!

no, not yet. this week is a busy one for me, and the weekend ahead as well. I've got an idea for pause... suspend however is looking to be surprisingly difficult.

I've also still got to look into making the total page counter write to file on startup/shutdown for Jon. (Unless diablo wants to do it )
Old 08-29-2007, 01:41 PM   #28
flamaest
Groupie

that's cool.. thanks for making this such a great tool to begin with..

The documentation is exquisite!

F.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #29
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
Just in case anyone should ask, I haven't been successful at getting HackBuilder to run in Linux under WINE. On first run, it says to install the Windows version of Mono (the .NET layer) but after an install, the app still refuses to load. I got my reader hacked til my heart's content, but just in case anyone using a Unix-like OS wonders, you'll either have to diff the files yourself or run a virtual Windows session.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:19 PM   #30
flamaest
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartard View Post
Just in case anyone should ask, I haven't been successful at getting HackBuilder to run in Linux under WINE. On first run, it says to install the Windows version of Mono (the .NET layer) but after an install, the app still refuses to load. I got my reader hacked til my heart's content, but just in case anyone using a Unix-like OS wonders, you'll either have to diff the files yourself or run a virtual Windows session.
Another option would be to have someone else run the program for you [using your hack button requirments] and send you all the files in a zip file to be dropped into a memory stick.

F.