Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-24-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
beernutz
beernutz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Need to reset my Kindle 2

Today my 1 month old Kindle 2 decided not to turn on. When I moved the slider switch to turn it on, nothing happened. The screensaver stayed in place on the screen on the left side and on the right the screensaver image degraded but was still partially visible. I had installed the screensaver hack a couple of weeks ago and the screensaver image on the screen is a custom one I added when I installed the hack.

I can still connect up with USB and when I move the slider bar to turn the unit off or on (hard to tell which mode its in since the screen doesn't change) the right side of the screensaver image flashes a bit and degrades slightly more to the point where it is now almost gone and only some stray pixel dots remain on the gray Kindle screen.

I read on this page http://www.articlesbase.com/gadgets-...en-860487.html about using ALT+SHIFT+R to reset using the keyboard. This did not do anything however.

I also tried to hold the slider switch to the right for > 15 seconds to hard reset the Kindle but nothing appears to happen on screen.

The above web page also mentions that you can reset a Kindle 2 by removing the back cover and gently hitting the reset button or by removing and replacing the battery. However, I can't find anything on the web regarding HOW to remove the back on a Kindle 2 and it isn't obvious.

What I'd like to do is at least try and get the thing to reset and uninstall the screensaver hack before calling Amazon customer service about my problem.

Any constructive suggestions gratefully accepted.
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
The back cover and keyboard thing are for the Kindle 1, not the Kindle 2. The Kindle 2 can only be reset, if it's not on, by the power switch.

You must *unplug* the Kindle 2 first. You don't want it connected to the USB port either. Then slide and hold the switch for 20 seconds or so and then release. Set the Kindle 2 down and wait a few minutes to see if it does anything.

If that doesn't work, then it could be your battery is totally drained. Plug the Kindle into the wall for an hour and let it recharge. Then unplug it and do the procedure outlined above again.

If it still won't come on, contact Kindle Support; tell them the steps you've been through and they'll send you a new one.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
beernutz

Thanks Bruce. The battery is fully charged (green light before I unplugged it) but when I try a 20 second slider shift and hold to force a reset the right side of the screen flashes momentarily but nothing else happens.

I was just worried about calling Amazon CS about a Kindle 2 with the screensaver hack installed and was hoping I could find a way to uninstall it first. Hopefully they won't give me any trouble about that. [fingers crossed]

I was also wrong about what the how to article I read said concerning resetting a Kindle 2. The stuff I quoted about taking the back off and removing the battery or hitting reset was for the Kindle 1. Mea culpa.

Last edited by beernutz; 04-24-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:46 PM   #4
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
When you say "nothing else happens", don't try sliding the power switch again. You must WAIT. But perhaps you've already done that.

I suspect Amazon will just send you a replacement. I haven't heard yet of them charging anyone who replaced their Kindle that had the SS hack installed when they sent it back.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
beernutz

Thanks for the replies Bruce. I did call Amazon CS last week and after going through their troubleshooting analysis steps the rep said, "you've got a bad screen" and said he was going to 1-day ship me a replacement. It is supposed to be here tomorrow. I didn't mention the SS hack and he didn't ask.

I just hope my next Kindle 2 lasts longer than the 40 days this one did.
Advert
Old 11-28-2009, 10:23 AM   #6
vollyhawk
vollyhawk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Unhappy Kindle 1 Critical Battery Message

Kindle 1: My message is: "Your battery is empty. To continue using your Kindle, connect it to a power source. It may take a few minutes of charging before your Kindle starts."

1). Tried connecting to the A/C power source. No indication of power. No change in frozen message (above)

2). Tried connecting to the computer. Device is not recognized. Frozen message. No indication of power.

3). Tried holding slider power over for an extended period to reset. No change.

4). Tried ALT-SHFT-R No change.

To me, it's either a fouled USB plug (probably on the Kindle side) or it needs a hard reset. How do you open the back to get to the reset?
vollyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by vollyhawk View Post
Kindle 1: My message is: "Your battery is empty. To continue using your Kindle, connect it to a power source. It may take a few minutes of charging before your Kindle starts."

1). Tried connecting to the A/C power source. No indication of power. No change in frozen message (above)

2). Tried connecting to the computer. Device is not recognized. Frozen message. No indication of power.

3). Tried holding slider power over for an extended period to reset. No change.

4). Tried ALT-SHFT-R No change.

To me, it's either a fouled USB plug (probably on the Kindle side) or it needs a hard reset. How do you open the back to get to the reset?
How long did you leave it connected to A/C power? You may need to connect it and walk away for a good 30 minutes (don't look at it, it's like the watched pot of water that never boils ).

If you continue to have problems, email Amazon Customer Support. They may replace the Kindle.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
vollyhawk
vollyhawk began at the beginning.

Correction: I have the Kindle 2
Understand I can't open the back.
Wondering why there is no indication of charge
vollyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
mbeckman
mbeckman is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
Reset procedure for DX is now different -- requires two steps

I just encountered this problem on my DX and there is a new reset procedure, according to Kindle tech support. A software upgrade apparently added a step, probably to prevent accidental resets. The new procedure is to slide the power button to its on position and hod it there for thirty full seconds, then release it and press and hold the HOME button until the screen flashes.

I had tried the old 15-second power switch procedure to no avail, then called Amazon via their web CallBack link. They called back immediately and then walked me through this process. I asked about the 15-seond method still published on the Amazon site, and they said "that's out of date since the most recent software update." I didn't even know there had been an update! Apparently Amazon can install these unilaterally and silently when it wants to.
mbeckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeckman View Post
I just encountered this problem on my DX and there is a new reset procedure, according to Kindle tech support. A software upgrade apparently added a step, probably to prevent accidental resets. The new procedure is to slide the power button to its on position and hod it there for thirty full seconds, then release it and press and hold the HOME button until the screen flashes.

I had tried the old 15-second power switch procedure to no avail, then called Amazon via their web CallBack link. They called back immediately and then walked me through this process. I asked about the 15-seond method still published on the Amazon site, and they said "that's out of date since the most recent software update." I didn't even know there had been an update! Apparently Amazon can install these unilaterally and silently when it wants to.
Thanks for making your first post mbeckman!

There was a roll out update for all Kindles (except Kindle 1) to 2.3 some time ago. All updates for the Kindle come OTA but you can also do the updates manually if you're in a non-Whispernet area or don't want to wait. It's a good feature, not a bad thing.

Thanks for the update on the new 30 sec procedure.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #11
boredgirl1995
boredgirl1995 began at the beginning.

Hey guys i need some serious help. you see my kindle 2 is freaking out. The top half of it is white with black lines and the bottom half is what the top half is supposed to look like. I have tried everything i have tried plugging it in to the charger. nothing. tried plugging it into my computer. says its there, i can access all the files but the screen is still like that. tried rebooting it and tried recovery mood. nothing. so i need some serios help please. Any help at all
boredgirl1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:06 PM   #12
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
@boredgirl1995: If you have tried all that and it still looks wrong, sounds like it is time to call Customer Service. On the amazon.com web page, find the web CallBack link. They will call you back very shortly.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:23 PM   #13
jcates18
jcates18 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
If you find yourself lost with the KindleDX (like losing your password and cannot access your KindleDX at all) try wiping it to the factory default. Just like you got it when you bought it from the store, but before doing so always make sure you backup your books and files before resetting it to the factory default settings. To reset and completely wipe your Kindle 2nd DX, you must do the following:

1. Slide the power button over to the right for 15 seconds,
2. let go of the power button,
3. Immediately press and hold down the "Home" button until it restarts.
4. If that does not work, try the following (only after you do the above first)
5. Type in the password request area the following: (all lower case and no spaces and without quotation marks) "resettofactorysettings"
6. if it does not work the first time try again until it takes it..
7. And there you have it a clean factory KindleDX.

At least this is what they told me to do when my password would not work.

Just a little thing to help anyone who loses or forgets their password.

JC (This is my first post and I hope it helps in lost passwords, frozen kindle's, or strange acting problems like yours above) (If I am wrong, tell me but don't burn me... I am a man and I can admit when I am wrong... But if I post items for technical support, it came from Amazon Kindle 2nd DX technical support..))

Last edited by jcates18; 07-08-2010 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Left out a comment
jcates18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:52 AM   #14
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
thanks JCates - my Kindle DXi got completely frozen today and there was a moment of panic .....

suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #15
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Yep, not bad for a first post.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote