Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 07-19-2016, 11:59 PM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
July 2016 Discussion: Something New (spoilers)

The time has come to discuss the July 2016 MobileRead Book Club selection, Something New* by P.G. Wodehouse. What did you think?

* AKA Something Fresh.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:40 AM   #2
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I'm not finished yet, so first impressions only.

I am very glad I stuck this out past chapter 3, and probably wouldn't have if it wasn't for the book club, I was having a very hard time getting into this book but it has become much better after the "intros" were done.

I am finally at Blandings Castle and things are much more interesting now.

It looks like Wodehouse and the publisher changed several characters to American for the US version ("Something Fresh"). I assume that made sense at the time but I think I would have preferred the original, unfortunately my library doesn't have it. I know Harry Potter was changed a little when it was brought here too, but I really hope that practice goes away.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2016, 06:36 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Something New, the American version, came first. Wodehouse was living in America and The Saturday Evening Post paid him $3,500 for it. It was published the following year in Britain as Something Fresh.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:52 AM   #4
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Even the lips of this MobileRead editor uncurled into a not unkindly smile upon reading this tale of British aristocratic families and their misadventures. My only question is who was Algernon Wooster? Is this a relation of Bertie's? I know Wodehouse sometimes used characters from one book in another.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:01 AM   #5
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Bertie mentions Freddie in The Code of the Woosters.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2016, 11:07 AM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Bertie mentions Freddie in The Code of the Woosters.
Thanks!
Old 07-20-2016, 12:40 PM   #7
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Something New, the American version, came first. Wodehouse was living in America and The Saturday Evening Post paid him $3,500 for it. It was published the following year in Britain as Something Fresh.
I finally understand the publication order: Something New (SEP) > Something New (US) > Something Fresh (UK). But the way these are referred to is confusing to me and I am very confused about what the original text is.

Here is the intro for Something Fresh from Wikipedia:
Quote:
Something Fresh is a novel by P. G. Wodehouse. It was first published as a book in the United States, by D. Appleton & Company on 3 September 1915, under the title Something New,[1] having previously appeared under that title as a serial in the Saturday Evening Post between 26 June and 14 August 1915. It was published in the United Kingdom by Methuen & Co. on 16 September 1915.[1]
Wikipedia goes on to talk about the differences in the books near the end (I skipped the plot parts since I am not done):
Quote:
In Something New, Ashe Marson, Joan Valentine and George Emerson are Americans; Ashe (who comes from a town called "Hayling", near Boston, Massachusetts) and Joan (who was born in New York) are living in England, while George is a member of a New York law firm. Because of the change of nationality, there are numerous consequential changes in descriptive passages and, particularly, in the dialogue.
From the Wikipedia entry for Ashe Marson:
Quote:
The hero of Something Fresh, Ashe Marson is a young man from the village of Much Middleford, Salop., ...
So, if Something New was first, does that mean Ashe is originally from the US? Or was the text published in The Saturday Evening Post/Something New an adaptation of Something Fresh that happened to get published first? From the intro they were all published very close to each other (the novels were less than 2 weeks apart and barely a month after The Saturday Evening Post's version concluded.)

Or, since some of these characters appear elsewhere (do Ashe and Joan?), were the nationalities changed back to the UK to help with continuity elsewhere? Although, given the close publication dates, I don't see how he could have known to make these changes for continuity's sake.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:38 PM   #8
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Spent today listening to the Frederick Davidson reading of Something Fresh. Wonderful, with the sole exception of an awful southern accent for one character. I'm not finished, and won't finish until the ride home on Friday, but I'm sure enjoying it!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:09 PM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Have some favorite lines from this book? Several made me smile. Like this one:

Quote:
One of the King Georges of England—I forget which—once said that a certain number of hours' sleep each night—I cannot recall at the moment how many—made a man something, which for the time being has slipped my memory. Baxter agreed with him.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:38 AM   #10
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
It was wonderful. Thanks issybird for the nomination and Charlie for the Frederick Davidson recommendation. It was a perfect match.
It was the most fun I had reading a book in a long time. I actually had to stop listening to the book when Mr. Peters was showing his beloved collection of scarabs to Lord Emsworth because I could not stop laughing in the train.

I now have more appreciation for the lords of castles
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:46 AM   #11
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I liked the sequel, Leave it to Psmith even better.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:12 AM   #12
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, I thoroughly enjoyed this. His Blandings stories have never been my favourites of his (that rests with the Jeeves/Wooster stories), but they are still quite wonderful.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote