Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Pick your preference!
Justified with no indent. 9 10.00%
Justified with indent. 49 54.44%
Left align with no indent. 12 13.33%
Left align with indent. 20 22.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Justified or Left Aligned?

Genuinely curious, what do people prefer?
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Standards for other languages might differ, but since the standard for English books is justified with indented paragraphs, and has been for longer than I've been alive, I have to go with that. Anyways, jagged edges are horrible to try and read....
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Standards for other languages might differ, but since the standard for English books is justified with indented paragraphs, and has been for longer than I've been alive, I have to go with that. Anyways, jagged edges are horrible to try and read....
Nope.

It's been proven that a badly aligned text is harder to read than a left-justified text.

I like left-justified mainly because most of the ereaders and reading apps can't justify text as well as what you would find in a paper book.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
While it's true that in justified text the occasional line looks ugly on an e-reader, left-aligned text is an aesthetic nightmare for me, every single page of it. So for me it's justified all the way - better one ugly line per page than a whole ugly page.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Recently I've been going for Justified with Indent but for the first paragraph of a chapter no indent.

It doesn't usually take long to modify imported EPUBS to get rid of any first para indents.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
My preference is ragged right with the first paragraph in a block flush left and the remaining paragraphs indented. Part of my editing changes when I get a non-DRMed epub.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I like left aligned no indent, a minority of one. I have a point 3 spacing between paragraphs.

I tend to read in chunks I think, rather than a word at a time so this is more comfortable for me.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Justified text. At the start of a chapter, and after a blank line: no indent. Other text: indented text.

P.S. No one who likes centered text?

Last edited by Anak; 08-27-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Justified with an indent. My preference is the first paragraph of a chapter has no indent and after a blank line that denotes different time or scene, but I won't bother changing that if it's not, indented is ok.

Once in awhile I've used .5 em spacing between paragraphs and that was surprisingly not annoying at all and pretty nice to read on.

But always justified for me. I find the ragged right edge to be just visually disturbing for me.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #10
2bits
Enthusiast
2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Touch N905, Mini
Preference is an emotional response
Feeling is not (in most cases) - thinking

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...491.x/abstract

Abstract
... The present study investigated the effect of using a text format that might be predicted to disrupt reading. In this study 56 individuals were presented with reading material presented in right-justified format and in‘ragged’uneven line format.

Subjects performed significantly worse on right-justified material.

Subjects who were classified as good readers on the basis of a pretest were more affected than poor readers.

What is "best" depends on your aim
- to "feel" well
or
read well
2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
That depends

For prose, I prefer justified with indents, unless reader width / pitch / hyphenation make it look wrong.

For poetry whatever the poet chooses (usually left aligned, no indents). Should it be necessary to split a line, left indent for the second part. In those cases I miss the Sony which allowed landscape format, hence longer lines and less splitting.

Last edited by anacreon; 08-27-2013 at 03:29 PM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #12
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
left aligned with no indents, and space between paragraphs, because it helps me... breath
glos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #13
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
My preference is ragged right...
Mine too, although I prefer to call it "evenly spaced" or left-aligned

Code:
Rather    than    extra    spaces    between    words
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Justified text. At the start of a chapter, and after a blank line: no indent. Other text: indented text.

P.S. No one who likes centered text?
My preference is exactly the same. When I deal with a non-DRM epub, I'll fix the justification, but I usually don't bother fixing start/after a blank, I just wish it were like that Fortunately, a lot of times that's exactly the way they are
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #15
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
Indent

For me, the most important thing is the INDENT.

I prefer justified in print, but I don't feel like ereaders do a good job with it, so I generally prefer left aligned for ereaders.
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote