Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-01-2017, 12:00 PM   #4126
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I finished off the month buying 14 books (7 part of Baen bundle) but read 11 (plus 26 short stories+novellettes!) So, a +3 in my TBR. A lot of the short stories were freebees or under a dollar, so I'm doing a lot of clearing on my Audible account. With almost 800 audiobooks and limited search functions at Audible, I started listing them into a separate Calibre library. After I get them all listed, I'll download the metadata for them all. Just like with the Amazon books, I'm clearing out anything I won't likely read again and all the freebees that aren't part of one of my regular series.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:12 PM   #4127
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I just had a rough day, but it's a February day, so I don't have to feel guilty if I manage to control for the rest of the month.

A new Ben Aaronovitch is available in North America, along with a new Wen Spencer in a few days (so I pre-ordered) and I saw a deal on the first in a series that's the next triad of a series I recently finished. But that's 3 books in one day.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2017, 04:36 PM   #4128
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I never thought of time spent in bookstores as time wasted.

What I wish is that I'd not carried over my pbook buying habits to the etherworld. It made sense to have a substantial backlog of pbooks, so that not only would I always have something to read, I'd always have a selection so I could suit the mood of the moment. This is, as we know, unnecessary with on-demand buying. But I still seemed to have the same level of "what will I read next?" insecurity, compounded by the lack of the physical brake created by stacks of books.

Yeah, I know, bargains. But only if they get read at some point!
I also do not consider time in a bookstore as wasted time. It was driving all over looking in any store, including minimarts, that had a rack of books.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:19 PM   #4129
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I just had a rough day, but it's a February day, so I don't have to feel guilty if I manage to control for the rest of the month.

A new Ben Aaronovitch is available in North America, along with a new Wen Spencer in a few days (so I pre-ordered) and I saw a deal on the first in a series that's the next triad of a series I recently finished. But that's 3 books in one day.
Take heart, Charlie, February's a short month! I think it's probably better (at least it would be for me) to buy everything you were going to buy at once. Now you can get back on the express wagon, rather than the local.

I've seen several Kindle deals that have tempted me, but I've found that I don't want to halt my momentum unless it's for something major, a feeling I want to nurture. One of these days, when I can no longer convert to epub, it will cease to trouble me!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:23 PM   #4130
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I also do not consider time in a bookstore as wasted time. It was driving all over looking in any store, including minimarts, that had a rack of books.
Apache
I miss bookstores. I especially miss serendipity, when you'd come across a book you'd absolutely love that you'd never heard of before. I also miss leaving with a sackful of promise, entertainment and enlightenment. I don't get those emotions at the ebookstores.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2017, 07:11 PM   #4131
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Take heart, Charlie, February's a short month! I think it's probably better (at least it would be for me) to buy everything you were going to buy at once. Now you can get back on the express wagon, rather than the local.

I've seen several Kindle deals that have tempted me, but I've found that I don't want to halt my momentum unless it's for something major, a feeling I want to nurture. One of these days, when I can no longer convert to epub, it will cease to trouble me!
Just a suggestion. At some point, buy a used, inexpensive older Kindle. Just to have a device to deliver to.

And yes, I do take heart. I'm mostly buying only things I care about, and the rest I get from the library. But those WhisperSync deals are my real bane...
Old 02-01-2017, 07:12 PM   #4132
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
I miss bookstores. I especially miss serendipity, when you'd come across a book you'd absolutely love that you'd never heard of before. I also miss leaving with a sackful of promise, entertainment and enlightenment. I don't get those emotions at the ebookstores.
Amen. But then, I no longer want to read in paper. Except for cookbooks, and mostly not even those any more.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:30 PM   #4133
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
During January I purchased one book (79 cents) but read three. A satisfying month.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:56 AM   #4134
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I miss browsing in a physical bookstore as well. However I'm actually more likely to be picking up a book I never knew existed these days and the range of books I buy has expanded.

Back in the days I normally browsed the Science Fiction shelf and maybe the mysteries, the non-fiction I was interested in tended to be pricy and I read through the library. Nowadays I browse my email and this site for sales as well as PD sites and keep finding new, interesting and inexpensive books of all types! On all sorts of topics! It's amazing how quickly it adds up

I have learned a lot of history and some science and found a fascination with books that combine travel and history in the last few years.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:57 AM   #4135
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The problem is that bookstores now look more like toy stores than book stores.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:13 AM   #4136
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I read 7 books in January and bought 3, but all were on Christmas gift cards, so they don't count against my budget!
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:54 AM   #4137
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Congratulations on the TBR reduction. Gift cards make it even sweeter.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:31 AM   #4138
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
What's worse than a buck-a-book Kindle sale? Finding out that they're even cheaper as a set.

Seriously, I looked at two series that are featured in the current sale and found that while they were all $1 each individually, I could get one pair for $1.80 and another for $1.50. No, I'm not talking about collected editions - this is just Amazon saying, "hey, we'll cut you a deal if you buy both."
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:33 AM   #4139
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
But the question is, do you want to read them more than most of the books in your TBR?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:43 AM   #4140
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
But the question is, do you want to read them more than most of the books in your TBR?
Actually, one of the books is already in my TBR. Kind of.

The $1.80 series actually started out as a novella, which later got a sequel. Later, those were combined and rewritten a bit to become the first novel, which now has its own sequel - and it's those novels which are on sale, but the initial novella is in my TBR. Or, it will be until I replace it with the novel as an upgrade.

Confused yet?
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote