Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-01-2017, 08:17 AM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Lightbulb Free (ADE-DRM) Lincoln's Constitution by Daniel A. Farber [US Law History & Analysis]

Lincoln's Constitution by author and historian Daniel A. Farber (faculty profile, Wikipedia), the Sho Sato Professor of Law at the University of California, Berkeley, among other honours, is his layperson-accessible history cum analysis and contextual interpretation of how the titular president dealt with constitutional issues arising from the US Civil War and the lessons to be learned in their applicability to current interpretations of the law today (as of circa 2003 when this was originally published), free for a limited time courtesy of publisher the University of Chicago Press.

This is their featured Free Book of the Month for March. You can also read an interview with the author about this book here at the UCP website.

Currently free throughout March @ the university's dedicated promo page (ADE-DRM not exactly sure what format it is this time around, since I keep getting license server communication errors when I try to download, which I expect will eventually get sorted out, in exchange for your valid email address), and you can also read more about the book and its author on its regular catalogue page.

Description
In Lincoln's Constitution Daniel Farber leads the reader to understand exactly how Abraham Lincoln faced the inevitable constitutional issues brought on by the Civil War. Examining what arguments Lincoln made in defense of his actions and how his words and deeds fit into the context of the times, Farber illuminates Lincoln's actions by placing them squarely within their historical moment.

The answers here are crucial not only for a better understanding of the Civil War but also for shedding light on issues-state sovereignty, presidential power, and limitations on civil liberties in the name of national security-that continue to test the limits of constitutional law even today.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:21 AM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just a reminder that this is probably the last day to pick up the freebie if you haven't already. Also, turns out it's a 1.3 meg PDF.
Advert
Old 03-31-2017, 03:23 PM   #3
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Should be an interesting read.

This probably sounds un-American, but I am not as sanguine concerning Lincoln and his Presidency as most Americans.

Relying on memory here (so please be kind) . . . . Lincoln suspended habeas corpus at some point in his Presidency. I think that it lasted several years. Habeas corpus basically is what guarantees a person arrested for a crime not to be held perpetually without being able to appear before a judge or a court. They can stay there until they rot. Maybe technically legal on Lincoln's part, but I have to question his commitment to all civil rights.

Lincoln also repeatedly (I think) ignored the orders of chief Justice Tanner (I forget his first name). At some point, I believe that it was Lincoln who said after a judgment by Court and Chief Justice Tanner, if that's what he (Tanner) wanted, he would have to do it himself (in other words, Lincoln was going to ignore the High Court's order). Anyway, there was repeated verbal sparring by Lincoln and Tanner over Lincoln's administering High Court orders.

My fuzziness of some of the details makes me want to read this tome to clear these, and other things, up in my mind. Too, I hope that it will pique people's interest in this that might not have been there before.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-31-2017 at 03:33 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:31 PM   #4
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Lincoln's Constitution by author and historian Daniel A. Farber (faculty profile, Wikipedia), the Sho Sato Professor of Law at the University of California, Berkeley, among other honours, is his layperson-accessible history cum analysis and contextual interpretation of how the titular president dealt with constitutional issues arising from the US Civil War and the lessons to be learned in their applicability to current interpretations of the law today (as of circa 2003 when this was originally published), free for a limited time courtesy of publisher the University of Chicago Press.

This is their featured Free Book of the Month for March. You can also read an interview with the author about this book here at the UCP website.

Currently free throughout March @ the university's dedicated promo page (ADE-DRM not exactly sure what format it is this time around, since I keep getting license server communication errors when I try to download, which I expect will eventually get sorted out, in exchange for your valid email address), and you can also read more about the book and its author on its regular catalogue page.

Description
In Lincoln's Constitution Daniel Farber leads the reader to understand exactly how Abraham Lincoln faced the inevitable constitutional issues brought on by the Civil War. Examining what arguments Lincoln made in defense of his actions and how his words and deeds fit into the context of the times, Farber illuminates Lincoln's actions by placing them squarely within their historical moment.

The answers here are crucial not only for a better understanding of the Civil War but also for shedding light on issues-state sovereignty, presidential power, and limitations on civil liberties in the name of national security-that continue to test the limits of constitutional law even today.
I wonder if you have to open the link, as well as request/receive the link by the last day of the promotion? A lot of software giveaways are like that. Of course, the thing for people to do (including myself ) is to go ahead and request it just as soon as you or someone else announces it, and also open it just as soon thereafter as possible.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:42 PM   #5
ATDrake
Wizzard

^

You have 1 year from the time they send you the link in your email to actually redeem it, according to their instructions (in practice, I've been able to grab a second copy from Bibliovault slightly longer, in a case where I'd misplaced the original download somewhere on one of my backups).
Advert
Old 03-31-2017, 04:29 PM   #6
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
^

You have 1 year from the time they send you the link in your email to actually redeem it, according to their instructions (in practice, I've been able to grab a second copy from Bibliovault slightly longer, in a case where I'd misplaced the original download somewhere on one of my backups).
Thanks. That's pretty liberal policy. Should be unnecessary, I would think, for current MobileReaders, what the more than ample notifications by you, and tubemonkey, and . . . .

I do hate these free daily software websites of which you have to download and install the program that day, but the deals are just about to expire, because you're so late in the day seeing the emails about them. I suspect that the vendor probably is the main one behind the rules, though.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:17 PM   #7
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Thanks. That's pretty liberal policy. Should be unnecessary, I would think, for current MobileReaders, what the more than ample notifications by you, and tubemonkey, and . . . .

I do hate these free daily software websites of which you have to download and install the program that day, but the deals are just about to expire, because you're so late in the day seeing the emails about them. I suspect that the vendor probably is the main one behind the rules, though.
I think I've claimed the free title every month for the few years I've been here, but have never downloaded one. Never checking email has disadvantages.
TrevorViking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
academic ebook