Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-09-2017, 12:29 AM   #1
ittiandro
Connoisseur
ittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notes

Device: D2-Pad 4 GB tablet
cannot access Kindle Cloud Reader from my 4.3.2 Android device.

My Samsung Galaxy device is on Android 4.3.2 version, barely two years old.
I was trying for the first time to access the Kindle Cloud from there by logging in and going to https://read.amazon.ca , but I am getting a message that the Cloud cannot be accessed from this browser on this device( I can do it through my PC but this is not what I want. .)

I am just off an almost 2 hrs fruitless chat with an Amazon Rep. He had me uninstall and reinstall the Kindle App, but it still didn't work. After almost two long hours of unsuccessful trials, he was clueless and told me that the Cloud is not accessible for Android versions under 5 or so. Mine is 4.2.2. He suggested that I buy a newer tablet. Sure! Easy answer.

By the way, when I uninstalled and reinstalled the Kindle App, I noticed that the name of my android device had changed . I didn't raise the point because the books were there, but may be this is the reason. My Cloud may be under the previous device name..

But I m not so sure that the Amazon rep really hit on the problem.
Why should an Android version which is only two years old no longer allow me to access the Cloud today ? It doesn't make sense.I tried both Firefox and Chrome, to no avail. I am stuck because I really need to access the Cloud from my tablet.

If I can't get on the Kindle Cloud, can I perhaps use other storage solutions similar to the Cloud, may be the Dropbox ? I'll try this. In the meantime,Id appreciate comments and suggestions on this.

Thanks for your help

Ittiandro

Last edited by ittiandro; 01-09-2017 at 12:36 AM. Reason: clarify
ittiandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:48 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I don't know why the version of Android should matter as long as it's new enough to run a compatible browser. Really have no idea, but will throw a couple ideas out there...

Maybe try Dolphin? Maybe try switching your browser user agent to desktop (if Android browsers still allow for that)?

Curious what you can do with the cloud reader that you can't do with the Kindle app?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2017, 01:03 AM   #3
ittiandro
Connoisseur
ittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notes

Thanks

Tried Dolphin and other browsers like Opera and Safari. It doesn't work. What do you mean by switching my browser user agent to desktop? How?

Ittiandro
Old 01-09-2017, 01:23 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Changing user agent...

http://dolphin.com/support/en/faq_26_en.html

In chrome go to the read.amazon.ca site and then click the dots to pull up the browsers menu and tap on request desktop site (or something like that).

...it can probably be done in the other browsers too, just not sure of the exact steps.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:48 AM   #5
ittiandro
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Changing user agent...

In chrome go to the read.amazon.ca site and then click the dots to pull up the browsers menu and tap on request desktop site (or something like that).
Yes I have done this. All I get is that I can access the Cloud directly from the desktop, but it doesn't solve my problem of accessing the Cloud from the Tablet. I still can't.

Ittiandro
Advert
Old 01-09-2017, 08:45 AM   #6
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ittiandro View Post
My Samsung Galaxy device is on Android 4.3.2 version, barely two years old.
I was trying for the first time to access the Kindle Cloud from there by logging in and going to https://read.amazon.ca , but I am getting a message that the Cloud cannot be accessed from this browser on this device( I can do it through my PC but this is not what I want. .)
The Kindle Cloud Reader is a website that allows you to access the books on your account and read them in a browser. It is not a cloud storage solution. Since you aleady have the Kindle app on your device you should use that instead of Kindle Cloud Reader.

Quote:
I am just off an almost 2 hrs fruitless chat with an Amazon Rep. He had me uninstall and reinstall the Kindle App, but it still didn't work.
There was no need to remove and re-install the kindle app on the device. It has nothing to do with access via a web browser.

Quote:
...I am stuck because I really need to access the Cloud from my tablet.

If I can't get on the Kindle Cloud, can I perhaps use other storage solutions similar to the Cloud, may be the Dropbox ? I'll try this. In the meantime,Id appreciate comments and suggestions on this.
You may be thinking of Amazon Drive (formerly known as Amazon Cloud Drive) online storage service. It is a different thing entirely. That service can be accessed on Android using the Amazon Drive app.

Edit: It occurs to me that the question you have here may be related to your other thread about your desire to access the files of your purchased Kindle books. If so, then neither Kindle Cloud Reader or Amazon Drive will be of any help to you.

Last edited by jhowell; 01-09-2017 at 08:57 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:56 PM   #7
ittiandro
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
T
Edit: It occurs to me that the question you have here may be related to your other thread about your desire to access the files of your purchased Kindle books. If so, then neither Kindle Cloud Reader or Amazon Drive will be of any help to you.
The books I am reading consist of a text in the original language ( ancient Greek or Latin ) and a translation. Unfortunately, the two are not face to face , page by page, but separated by hundred of pages and require continuous toggling back and forth with bookmarks, which is time consuming.

I was thinking that the only way to have text and translation in front of me is to open the book twice ( one with the Kindle reader on the tablet and the other from the Cloud) .
Here is where I ran into the problem of not being able to access the Kindle Cloud from the tablet.

The first solution I had originally thought of was convcrting the . Mobi ( or .prc /azw ) version into EPUB format and read it with my regular e-book reader. . This way I could open the original .mobi version in the Kindle reader and the converted .epub version in the other and read the two simultaneously, without playing with the bookmarks, by using the split screen feature on the tablet ( Xposed installer/Xmultiwindow). .

I have already done this in the past for a couple of Kindle books and it works, but I am hesitant now to use this method , because it requires playing with the DRM and I don’t want to run into legal problems, even though it would only be for study reasons and not commercial purposes. (In fact hundreds of people do it and there are even softwares for this like Epubor).

Besides, I am having problems now in retrieving the .prc files of the new Kindle books I downloaded .I used to find them in the storage device memory, but they are no longer there , only .asc or other uworkable, not convertibles files, like . phl files .

With this information, you can perhaps confirm to me if the Amazon Drive and /or the Dropbox or similar other Cloud storage facilities you suggested are suitable to my purpose or if I am wasting my time.

Thanks

Ittiandro

Last edited by ittiandro; 01-09-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:28 PM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
The books I am reading consist of a text in the original language ( ancient Greek or Latin ) and a translation. Unfortunately, the two are not face to face , page by page, but separated by hundred of pages and require continuous toggling back and forth with bookmarks, which is time consuming.

I was thinking that the only way to have text and translation in front of me is to open the book twice ( one with the Kindle reader on the tablet and the other from the Cloud) .
Here is where I ran into the problem of not being able to access the Kindle Cloud from the tablet.

The first solution I had originally thought of was convcrting the . Mobi ( or .prc /azw ) version into EPUB format and read it with my regular e-book reader. . This way I could open the original .mobi version in the Kindle reader and the converted .epub version in the other and read the two simultaneously, without playing with the bookmarks, by using the split screen feature on the tablet ( Xposed installer/Xmultiwindow). .

I have already done this in the past for a couple of Kindle books and it works, but I am hesitant now to use this method , because it requires playing with the DRM and I don’t want to run into legal problems, even though it would only be for study reasons and not commercial purposes. (In fact hundreds of people do it and there are even softwares for this like Epubor).

Besides, I am having problems now in retrieving the .prc files of the new Kindle books I downloaded .I used to find them in the storage device memory, but they are no longer there , only .asc or other uworkable, not convertibles files, like . phl files .

With this information, you can perhaps confirm to me if the Amazon Drive and /or the Dropbox or similar other Cloud storage facilities you suggested are suitable to my purpose or if I am wasting my time.

Thanks

Ittiandro
Buy a second cheap tablet or an ereader. Then open one book on each so they are side by side. Or use your tablet and computer at the same time.
Best suggestion I have.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote