Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-03-2016, 06:35 AM   #1
Roobarb
Roobarb began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
Ereader with Access to library on Onedrive

I would really appreciate some help with choosing a new ereader as I am just going round in circles at the moment!

I only have two absolute musts, they are physical page turn buttons and access to my library on Onedrive, via either Calibre Companion or just downloading files via a web browser. (I don't have a PC that I can leave running with Calibre open so I need to be able to connect in this way.)

I currently have (or had) the Energy Sistem Ereader Pro but the software was extremely flaky causing me to have to reset it every time I had to wake it up (even after being returned to Energy Sistem for repair). Unfortunately the screen has now just packed up so I am just going to buy something new.

I was really hoping the Cybook Muse would work as this looked perfect for me but apparently there is no way of connecting to Onedrive.

Thank you very much for any suggestions.
Roobarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:18 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Supposedly, Kobo is working on Overdrive access. My guess will be in the new firmware due out around the time of the new Readers. So that would be sometime in August maybe.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2016, 08:29 AM   #3
Roobarb
Roobarb began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
Thanks for that info, I did see rumours of a new model from them as well so I might be really lucky and they have added buttons too!
Roobarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:52 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roobarb View Post
Thanks for that info, I did see rumours of a new model from them as well so I might be really lucky and they have added buttons too!
I highly doubt you'll get page turn buttons.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:40 PM   #5
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW 1, 2, and 3, Voyage, Oasis 2, Kindle Fire, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Lynx
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Supposedly, Kobo is working on Overdrive access. My guess will be in the new firmware due out around the time of the new Readers. So that would be sometime in August maybe.
Will it also have access to Onedrive, since that's what the OP asked for?

I know that there has been speculation in the Kobo forums that maybe Kobo will be coming up with a way to have Kobos sync books not bought from kobo.com like Amazon does. In my view, the best way to do that would be to allow customers a choice as to where the books are stored in the cloud.

If I could *natively* access the books that I have on my Onedrive account like I can with Calibre Companion, it would be a beautiful thing. If I could also have them sync between readers and apps, it would be even better.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2016, 10:43 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Will it also have access to Onedrive, since that's what the OP asked for?

I know that there has been speculation in the Kobo forums that maybe Kobo will be coming up with a way to have Kobos sync books not bought from kobo.com like Amazon does. In my view, the best way to do that would be to allow customers a choice as to where the books are stored in the cloud.

If I could *natively* access the books that I have on my Onedrive account like I can with Calibre Companion, it would be a beautiful thing. If I could also have them sync between readers and apps, it would be even better.
I doubt Kobo will add native access to OneDrive or any of the other cloud storage services. Any access will have to be through the browser unless someone creates a hack for it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:04 AM   #7
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW 1, 2, and 3, Voyage, Oasis 2, Kindle Fire, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Lynx
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I doubt Kobo will add native access to OneDrive or any of the other cloud storage services. Any access will have to be through the browser unless someone creates a hack for it.
Good to know. Do you also think that the speculation about allowing non-kobo books to sync is wrong? That really is a feature that I would love to have--not necessarily the sync, but the ability to access all of my books over the network, rather than having to plug the reader in to my computer. Do you think that's ever going to happen?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:38 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Good to know. Do you also think that the speculation about allowing non-kobo books to sync is wrong? That really is a feature that I would love to have--not necessarily the sync, but the ability to access all of my books over the network, rather than having to plug the reader in to my computer. Do you think that's ever going to happen?
No, other than OverDrive, I don't think Kobo will extend the network capabilities of the devices. Downloading Adobe DRM protected books using the browser might be added, but that will be a side-effect of adding OverDrive.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote