Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 10-14-2017, 12:18 PM   #1
Spfamy1
Connoisseur
Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: iPhone 6s Plus
Marvin 3.1 latest update completely trashes library.

This is a warning. If anybody has Marvin 3.0 on new iPhones 8s Plus or have the latest update on their iPhones will not be able to download anything from Dropbox or get new ebooks on Marvin. In fact if you try to transfer ebooks to Marvin 3 this way it will endlessly cycle trying to download the ebooks and will fail. When you try opening Marvin 3.0 again, it tries to locate the library you already have installed and won't update correctly. You see the black screen and a circle saying it's trying to find your library. You won't be getting that library back. I've tried this several times by deleting Marvin 3 and reinstalling Marvin 3 on my iPhone 8.0 S. with the latest iOS updates and even trying to put ebooks back on one at a time. A simple ebook with just 560 K in size fails to install on Marvin 3. My entire ebook library has been trashed. I was forced to downgrade and go back to Marvin Classic. Thank God for that because it was able to update and download ebooks correctly into the library without any problems. I must say however this issue doesn't seem to affect Marvin 3.0 on iPads. I don't know why...but the iPad versions of Marvin seem unaffected by this bug. However until there's an update addressing this issue...I reccomend anybody with Marvin to NOT install or put any new ebooks into Marvin 3 until there is a serious update to fix this really bad bug. Kris needs to hear about this bug IMMEDIATELY.

Correction: you cannot use Dropbox within Marvin Classic anymore because Dropbox changed their API for synching. So the only way you can use Marvin Classic is by installing Dropbox on the iPhone and using it to find ebooks you like and then exporting them to Marvin Classic. But you can also transfer ebooks to Marvin Classic with the iOS feature called Airdrop. That's another workaround.

Last edited by Spfamy1; 10-14-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Spfamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:40 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Wrong! I have the latest Marvin 3 installed with the latest iOS 11 and it works with Dropbox.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2017, 06:36 PM   #3
Spfamy1
Connoisseur
Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

READ MY LIPS. Marvin 3.0 latest update TRASHED my entire library. I cannot install or sync anything in this on my spanking brand new iPhone 8s Plus. The bug doesn't seem to affect the iPad edition for reasons I can't understand. But know this...I wouldn't be posting this message if I didn't think it serious enough to warrant a warning. And it DOES warrant a serious warning. I mean it. Kris has to investigate it ASAP. I've been forced to downgrade to Marvin Classic because of this issue.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:02 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spfamy1 View Post
READ MY LIPS. Marvin 3.0 latest update TRASHED my entire library. I cannot install or sync anything in this on my spanking brand new iPhone 8s Plus. The bug doesn't seem to affect the iPad edition for reasons I can't understand. But know this...I wouldn't be posting this message if I didn't think it serious enough to warrant a warning. And it DOES warrant a serious warning. I mean it. Kris has to investigate it ASAP. I've been forced to downgrade to Marvin Classic because of this issue.
I have an iPhone 6s and with the latest Marvin 3 and it works.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:15 AM   #5
Spfamy1
Connoisseur

Then this appears to be a serious hardware issue involving the iPhone 8 models. I advise anyone who has the iPhone 8 to confirm my issue or please disprove it. Because this is a very serious issue. I know I didn't have any problems with my iPad...which isn't the newest generation. It's the iPad Air 2 which works fine. But given the anecdotal evidence, this is affecting iPhone 8 models...Kris needs to investigate this issue as soon as possible. In the meantime, I suggest anyone with an iPhone 8 who have copied their backups with Marvin intact to PLEASE do NOT install any more ebooks on the device otherwise it will not work as I explained in the original post. This has to be investigated by Kris because this issue is urgent and this is a precaution so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Last edited by Spfamy1; 10-16-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Advert
Old 10-16-2017, 12:58 PM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I have a 7+ and it works with no problems. Perhaps you, or someone else can do further testing to confirm that there is, in fact, a problem before Kris is sent down a rabbit hole looking for a problem that may, or may not, be present.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:14 PM   #7
Spfamy1
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I have a 7+ and it works with no problems. Perhaps you, or someone else can do further testing to confirm that there is, in fact, a problem before Kris is sent down a rabbit hole looking for a problem that may, or may not, be present.
Alice is down the rabbit hole. I can't go back because I gave up my iPhone 6S to get the iPhone 8plus. My 6s was starting to "bulge". So I spent a quid to get this damn new one. So I can't believe I'm imagining this is just MY problem. It's definitely a hardware issue. Because if I can use my iPad Air 2 without any issues...but can't install a single ebook 500K in size causing Marvin 3 on my iPhone 8 Plus to endlessly cycle trying to download it from Dropbox...there's a problem Houston.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:49 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spfamy1 View Post
Alice is down the rabbit hole. I can't go back because I gave up my iPhone 6S to get the iPhone 8plus. My 6s was starting to "bulge". So I spent a quid to get this damn new one. So I can't believe I'm imagining this is just MY problem. It's definitely a hardware issue. Because if I can use my iPad Air 2 without any issues...but can't install a single ebook 500K in size causing Marvin 3 on my iPhone 8 Plus to endlessly cycle trying to download it from Dropbox...there's a problem Houston.
Have you tried deleting Marvin 3 and reinstalling it? I had a problem with some version of the Hoopla app and when I reported it, I was told to delete and reinstall and that solved the problem.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:12 PM   #9
Spfamy1
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you tried deleting Marvin 3 and reinstalling it? I had a problem with some version of the Hoopla app and when I reported it, I was told to delete and reinstall and that solved the problem.
I've done this SEVERAL times and both times with no difference. I even did it again today. Marvin 3 doesn't work on my iPhone 8s Plus. Kris is going to have to investigate this. And soon. Because I won't be the only one having this problem. There is some kind of incompatibility issue with the iPhone 8 Plus causing this problem. Marvin Classic has no problem on my iPhone 8 Plus. It's Marvin 3 that's not working. So it's not my fault. Something is not working and this needs a fix. This is bad.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:50 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Do you know anyone else with an iPhone 8+ that you can get to test Marvin 3?
Old 10-18-2017, 11:45 AM   #11
Spfamy1
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you know anyone else with an iPhone 8+ that you can get to test Marvin 3?
No I don't. But I'm guessing the same problem is going to happen. Mine is a brand new iPhone. Everything working perfectly...except Marvin 3 doesn't work properly in this new model. Kris has to investigate.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:21 PM   #12
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Like I said before...it would be much better if someone, anyone, else can verify that there is, in fact, a problem with the software by verifying the issue on more than a single case. Asking Kris to spend a huge amount of time searching through the code looking for a "problem" that might actually be a device error is asking a lot. Perhaps as more "8s Plus" devices are sold there may be another report about Marvin...or even some revelation that the 8 changed drastically from 7 insomuch that the same iOS 11 behaves differently on the 8s???

I'll be interested to see how this works out.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:58 PM   #13
Spfamy1
Connoisseur

I believe I have figured out the problem. EVERYONE needs to do the following immediately: Go to Settings, and scroll down to Marvin. On the right there is an option to OVERRIDE IMPENDING IMPORT. Make sure this feature is turned ON. Turning this feature on will save your library from endlessly cycling to import ebooks into your Marvin app. This seems to have mysteriously fixed importing ebooks from Dropbox. Now they import correctly in Marvin 3. This is NOT a hardware issue. This is definitely a software related issue that Kris will need to fix as soon as possible. Until then I urgently everyone using Marvin 3 to follow the instruction I found out and this will save you grief.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:17 AM   #14
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
though I still am using my iPhone 6 Plus, I will be upgrading to the iPhone X. Just to prepare, I went to the settings for Marvin 3 and I see OVERRIDE LAUNCH TO BOOK and ABORT PENDING IMPORT. Not the setting you mentioned above. Which one of those is the correct setting to turn on?
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:33 AM   #15
Spfamy1
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post
though I still am using my iPhone 6 Plus, I will be upgrading to the iPhone X. Just to prepare, I went to the settings for Marvin 3 and I see OVERRIDE LAUNCH TO BOOK and ABORT PENDING IMPORT. Not the setting you mentioned above. Which one of those is the correct setting to turn on?
Turn on abort pending import.