Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #1
Ender_Fedaykin
Ender_Fedaykin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kindle 3
Series sort order backwards via Content Server

When viewing my library in a browser through the Content Server, all the other views (All Books, Authors, Tags, etc) show the books in alphabetical order with a "Sort by" drop down at the top.

However when I view a series, the books are in reverse alphabetical order and the "Sort by" drop down is missing.

Am I missing a setting somewhere, or could I modify one of the configuration files to get the series to display alphabetically like the other views? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, still a little new to Calibre (and my js/css skills are lacking).

I tried removing a book from my library and adding it back thinking maybe it was displaying them in order of date added, but it didn't make a difference. I also have most other metadata fields blank like Publisher, Published, Date, etc, so it can't be sorting by any of those, and the fields that are being used like Tags and Series contain identical data (with the Series Number field correctly populated in increments of 1.00, 2.00, 3.00, etc).

The books are titled as:
XYZ 1 - Book Title
XYZ 2 - Book Title
XYZ 3 - Book Title
...etc...
where XYZ is an abbreviation of the series name.

I'm using the current version of Calibre, but had the issue in the last version too. I tried clearing my cache/cookies, tried from a different computer, tried it in Chrome, Firefox, and IE. No luck.

Google has failed me, and a search here didn't bring up any similar threads, unless I just missed it. Thanks for any help in pointing me in the right direction

Last edited by Ender_Fedaykin; 12-10-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Ender_Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Red face

There is a per user system Button for that on most of the Web pages.

Last edited by theducks; 12-10-2014 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Hide the evidence
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #3
Ender_Fedaykin

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
There is a per user system Button for that on most of the Web pages.
The button circled in that image just takes you back/up one directory level (i.e. if you're browsing By Series, it would take you back to the Home page).

Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, that isn't related to my issue of books listed in series being displayed in the wrong order. It's a navigation button, it doesn't change how anything is displayed. Unless that button does something different for me than it does for you?

Either way, that button is only there when viewing the list of all the series (or all the authors, or the tags, etc). My issue is with the order of the books being displayed within a series, after you've selected a series name from the page in that image and are viewing the list of the books themselves. The page listing all of the series has the button, the page listing the books within a series doesn't.

Sorry if my explanation in my original post wasn't clear. Here's how my series are displayed...

http://i.imgur.com/j1cMEFt.jpg

No button, no "Sort by" drop down, every series displays books in reverse alphabetical order. But they are correctly in alphabetical order if I view the list of books from a Tag, Author, All Books view, etc. Series is the only view that has this issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	series.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	132275  

Last edited by Ender_Fedaykin; 12-10-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:57 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
For me, the books are sorted in series index descending. If two books have the same series index then they seem to be sorted by title ascending, but that isn't sure as in my example they also have different languages.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

He is correct

Yikes, he is right!
Look on the right (My titles do not include series stuff)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	server-flip.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	132285  
Old 12-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
Ender_Fedaykin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
For me, the books are sorted in series index descending. If two books have the same series index then they seem to be sorted by title ascending, but that isn't sure as in my example they also have different languages.
Ah, yep, that's indeed the issue, I just changed the series index number for a couple books and that changes how they're displayed here.

So doesn't that seem backwards? Do people prefer having the last book in a series being at the top? I'd think it would make more sense to have the first book in the series listed first.

I guess I could change the series index number to 0 for all my books, and then it would just display them alphabetically, which would work since I have series info in the title. But it seems better to have the books' metadata contain the correct series number, for device compatibility and whatnot.

I'm assuming one of the Content Server's .js files could be changed so it sorts by series index ascending instead of descending. I don't know much about about coding though. I'm sure I'm not the first person to find this display behavior irksome, if anyone knows of an easy fix, feel free to share.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It depends on how you are reading the series. If it is a continuing series for which you have already read the existing books, then it is nice to have the latest book in the series on top. If it is a new series you want to start reading, then the reverse is true.

Personally, I prefer the current behavior, which is probably why it is the current behavior
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:25 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

If I am starting to read a series, I would have them Ascending (assumes I bought a bundle/split an Omnibus)

If a new book was added, I would like it on top (the current view)

FWIW, I usually display my Library by dates descending (Newest edits, Newest Modified) I want to send the recent 'Latest' to my device upon the next connection. I head towards the 'bottom-o-the-list' for my touchup candidates
Old 12-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #9
Ender_Fedaykin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It depends on how you are reading the series. If it is a continuing series for which you have already read the existing books, then it is nice to have the latest book in the series on top. If it is a new series you want to start reading, then the reverse is true.

Personally, I prefer the current behavior, which is probably why it is the current behavior
That makes sense, thanks for the explanation.

I guess I'm in the minority here, I'd just prefer an ascending list regardless of how much of the series I've read. A "Sort by" drop down like all the other views have would be cool.

Thanks for replying. And thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited by Ender_Fedaykin; 12-10-2014 at 01:29 PM.

Tags
content server, series, sort order