Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-01-2017, 10:53 AM   #16
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Looking at the image, I wonder if it has the same color changing light the Kobo Aura ONE has?

I also wonder about those page turn buttons. I was a fan of the embedded buttons on the Nook ST because I would never press them in error.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:55 AM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Very reminiscent of the Simple Touch! Love those bezels and buttons! I'd be getting it if I hadn't moved on from B&N to Kobo years ago.
I've done the same. But on my PC, my books are all ePub. I prefer the Kobo software, but if that image is the real deal, I'll likely be buying a couple of Glowlight 3s.
Advert
Old 11-01-2017, 11:18 AM   #18
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
The ST ushered me into the e-ink reading age and I've hardly touched a physical book since. But when I upgraded to a lighted reader, I found the Paperwhite to be a much better fit than the Glowlight. As an Overdrive reader there's no way I'm going back to the Adobe DRM tethered to a computer process. Downloading Overdrive books via my Amazon account has been a delight.

I rarely used the ST's buttons. The huge bezels makes the new Glowlight look almost vintage--not in a good way. The only thing that would tempt back to BN would be an 8 inch screen. I promised myself the next ereader would have a larger screen. A six inch screen with large bezels is exactly what I'm not looking for. I do live nearby a BN--may pop in today or tomorrow and check it out merely out of curiosity.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:37 AM   #19
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
NOOK Glowlight 3

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/noo...=9780594777137
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

After looking at the page listing here: No mention of waterproofing. It would be a shame if that were dropped. Not a deal breaker though. I'd guess the page turn buttons they used prevented waterproofing. Another argument for the buttons on the Nook ST.
Advert
Old 11-01-2017, 11:56 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Looking at the image, I wonder if it has the same color changing light the Kobo Aura ONE has?

I also wonder about those page turn buttons. I was a fan of the embedded buttons on the Nook ST because I would never press them in error.
The buttons on the nook STR require too much pressure to press. On the newer nooks, do the buttons also requite too much force to press?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:02 PM   #22
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Looks nice, hope it does well. I've generally always liked B&N's hardware, just not cared for some of their policies and ideas when it comes to their eBook store.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:02 PM   #23
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The buttons on the nook STR require too much pressure to press. On the newer nooks, do the buttons also requite too much force to press?
The buttons appear wider in the photos, so there is some hope they'll be easier to push. Also, two buttons on each side!
Old 11-01-2017, 12:36 PM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
The buttons appear wider in the photos, so there is some hope they'll be easier to push. Also, two buttons on each side!
The Nook ST had two buttons on each side. Most readers with page turn buttons have two on each side.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:34 PM   #25
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I've moved the relevant posts from an existing thread in the B&N forum, as this struck me as being newsworthy. B&N isn't throwing the towel in yet.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:36 PM   #26
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Why do you feel the need to respond to every Nook post with some variation of "it's rubbish"? It gets a little predictable/tiresome.
It isn't just Nooks lol.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:36 PM   #27
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Looks pretty much like my old Nook Simple Touch. Glad to see this new model become available. I won't be buying one since I just bought a PaperWhite. However, this new Nook looks to be a worthy competitor. Competition is always good. It does ePubs, which beats the PaperWhite IMHO. But I'm happy with my PaperWhite too. Ford vs. Chevy. Mary Anne vs. Ginger. There is no clear winner, just personal preference.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:41 PM   #28
erk
Enthusiast
erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.

Device: SONY PRS505
With the information so far, this is a minor product update - more of a Glowlight++ versus a Glowlight 3.

The model number was bumped from BNRV510 to BNRV520
The two models are treated mostly the same in the APK.
erk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:48 PM   #29
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Looks pretty much like my old Nook Simple Touch. Glad to see this new model become available. I won't be buying one since I just bought a PaperWhite. However, this new Nook looks to be a worthy competitor. Competition is always good. It does ePubs, which beats the PaperWhite IMHO. But I'm happy with my PaperWhite too.
Unfortunately, I think B&N have damaged their reputation beyond repair. At this point, it's an Amazon world. The Glowlight Plus was a nicer piece of hardware than the Paperwhite (screen was just as good and it was waterproof to boot). But Amazon has become the go-to for e-book buying.

I'm planning on buying the new Nook, but I'll still be buying my books from Amazon. And the average reader isn't going to worry about Calibre/DRM/format shifting.

Quote:
Mary Anne vs. Ginger. There is no clear winner, just personal preference.
Sorry my friend. Mary Ann is the clear winner, no two ways about it

Last edited by ZodWallop; 11-01-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:14 PM   #30
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

If we're comparing this to the Kobo Aura One, the lower price of the new NOOK should be factored in.