Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-19-2015, 06:29 AM   #1
mr0riiz
mr0riiz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3 (2015)
Problem with Connecting to Wifi without internet acess [SOLVED]

Hello,

I'm Trying to make a portable computer with a kindle as a screen using a ssh-session.

My current problem is that the kindle wont connect to a wifi without internet connection.

the business logic around internet checking is inside Kindle's /etc/upstart/wifid.conf - this file content should probably mention some URL the wifid daemon is using to check if internet is working

then it should possible to tell my wifi routing software to actually catch the Kindle's request to the URL and respond with expected message to the Kindle.

Have anybody tried anything like this?

I'm not sure if it is important, but i use the Kindle Paperwhite (2015)

sincerely,
Mr0riiz

Last edited by mr0riiz; 10-19-2015 at 09:39 AM.
mr0riiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:27 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Have you tried using the WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE flag filename?

PS: It is against site policy to deal in other people's intellectual property.
Requesting a copy of copyrighted material here (like in this thread title) will only get you banned.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2015, 09:10 AM   #3
mr0riiz

I don't have a rooted Kindle. Which is why i'm asking.

I'm very sorry to violate the rules. Should i delete the thread?

in case of yes. How so?
Old 10-19-2015, 09:24 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr0riiz View Post
I don't have a rooted Kindle. Which is why i'm asking.

I'm very sorry to violate the rules. Should i delete the thread?

in case of yes. How so?
You don't need a rooted Kindle.
In the topmost level of USB storage, create the file named:
WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE
All capitals, no extension, no contents.

You should then not require an internet connection to use the WiFi.

= = = =

You will have to have a rooted Kindle to do the project you have in mind, so:
Install firmware version 5.6.5 if not already installed -
Keep the Kindle off of the Internet (where if could pick up a firmware OTA update) -
Read the sticky about the 5.6.5 software (closed Kindle) jail break -
Subscribe to that thread to receive notices of posts made (which will include the release notice when it is released).

Note: that "closed Kindle" jail break has been tested on your model Kindle.
The author is only waiting for Amazon/Lab126 to issue a fix before making the jail break public information.

- - - - -

Only moderators can delete threads - although you should be able to edit your first post yourself (being a new user, there may be a delay before you can edit the post).

Last edited by knc1; 10-19-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:35 AM   #5
mr0riiz

Okay.

Thank you very much for your help.

This seems a lot easier than what i had planned :-)

I will look for the edit button.

Thanks Again
Advert
Old 10-19-2015, 09:37 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Re-read my last post, I have been editing in information you can probably use.

= = = =

Oh, in answer to your question -
Yes, setting up a fake responder has been done and documented here.
But you will probably have to dig pretty deep to find it, the 'WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE' feature was introduced with the K3 (a long time ago).

Last edited by knc1; 10-19-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:48 AM   #7
mr0riiz

"You don't need a rooted Kindle.
WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE

You should then not require an internet connection to use the WiFi."

Is this still valid. I'm not interested in picking up the request and so on, if i can overcome the problem with creating the file: WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE.

Is it still possible to do without rooting the kindle?
Old 10-19-2015, 09:50 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
"You don't need a rooted Kindle.
WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE

You should then not require an internet connection to use the WiFi."

Is this still valid. I'm not interested in picking up the request and so on, if i can overcome the problem with creating the file: WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE.

Is it still possible to do without rooting the kindle?
Yes, I just now did it on my PW-3.

You **WILL** have to jail break the Kindle to install the sshd server (from the USBnetworking package).
Part of the jail break is to allow executable programs on the USB mass storage.

Last edited by knc1; 10-19-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:58 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Ah, maybe I answered the wrong question -

The WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE **will not** prevent the Kindle from accessing the Internet.
It only prevents the WiFi from failing if it otherwise can not access the Internet.

To use the WiFi on the Kindle **without** connecting to the Internet, you will have to block its Internet access in your access point or router.

= = = =

For instance, my router can filter on MAC addresses, and the filter is set to block the Kindle from accessing the Internet by its MAC address.
At least for some of my Kindles others just stay in 'Airplane mode'.

The week or two wait for the 'closed Kindle' jail break release will give you time to read all of the threads about using the Kindle as a remote computer screen.

Last edited by knc1; 10-19-2015 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:59 AM   #10
mr0riiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Yes, I just now did it on my PW-3.

You **WILL** have to jail break the Kindle to install the sshd server (from the USBnetworking package).
Part of the jail break is to allow executable programs on the USB mass storage.
I know.

But by using the web based terminal shellinabox, i con log into my SSH session from the experimental web browser.

the concept is described here: https://github.com/petervojtek/diy/w...ing-the-Kindle
Old 10-19-2015, 10:04 AM   #11
mr0riiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Ah, maybe I answered the wrong question -

The WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE **will not** prevent the Kindle from accessing the Internet.
It only prevents the WiFi from failing if it otherwise can not access the Internet.

To use the WiFi on the Kindle **without** connecting to the Internet, you will have to block its Internet access in your access point or router.

I think you answered the right question.

preventing the WiFi from failing if it otherwise can not access the Internet is precisely what i want.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:41 AM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Thread title updated.

It might still be worth looking into the upcoming jailbreak, just to get fullscreen mode.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:30 AM   #13
mr0riiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Thread title updated.

It might still be worth looking into the upcoming jailbreak, just to get fullscreen mode.
Sure will do. I'm as excited as everyone else around here.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:01 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Shell-in-a-box was a Google Code project and Google Code is dead.

A copy of the project, as it existed when Google Code went out of business, can be found on GitHub:
https://github.com/janetizzy/shellinabox
Old 10-20-2015, 09:56 AM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I know.

But by using the web based terminal shellinabox, i con log into my SSH session from the experimental web browser.

the concept is described here: https://github.com/petervojtek/diy/w...ing-the-Kindle
Note:
That description is specific to the K4.
If you get it working on the 5.6.x firmware / devices - please write it up here (or in our own wiki).

If you need to make changes to shell-in-a-box, please use the github clone linked to above.
And post a pull-request at that github repository (I know that the owner is watching it).

Tags
kindleberry pi, wifi