Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-17-2017, 07:46 PM   #1
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
New firmware release - 4.4.9344

Note:
Kobo released this firmware on the 18th of May. Within two hours, a problem had been discovered on the Aura ONE and distribution of this release to the Aura ONE was stopped. Shortly afterwards, they released an updated version, but without updating the version numbers. Unfortunately, it seems that the original version was not replaced on some servers. Because of this, some people were downloading the firmware and getting the bad version. And since then, it appears that Kobo have started releasing 4.4.9349 to the Aura ONE instead of 4.4.9344.

With all this, I would recommend that no one sideload 4.4.9344 to the Aura ONE. If the Aura ONE has updated to 4.4.9344 and is working, it will keep working and you should not worry about it. No other devices were affected. Upgrading these devices will not be a problem.

There is a new firmware version on it's way out. This is to fix two problems:
  • External cards without a label were not being mounted.
  • Finishing a purchased kepub didn't mark the book as finished.

There are no other changes.

The update will be sent to those who received 4.4.9298 first. Then it will go to everyone else next week. That probably means Kobo are just restarting the usual distribution, but, they might have an extra rule for those on 4.4.9298. Also, Kobo have stopped distributing 4.4.9298.

The download links for sideloading will be added to https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Firmware_Releases soon. Or you can use http://geek1011.github.io/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html to view them. (Note: The results can depend on your IP address)

There is no updated needed for calibre. Version 2.85.1 already has support for the 4.4.x firmware.

Last edited by davidfor; 05-18-2017 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Explanation of the Aura ONE problems.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:54 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Already available.

Mark 3: http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...e-4.4.9344.zip

Mark 4: http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...e-4.4.9344.zip

Mark 5: http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...e-4.4.9344.zip

Mark 6: http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...e-4.4.9344.zip
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:06 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Kobo Firmware 4.4.9344

Kobo firmware 4.4.9344 has been released. As of May 17, 2017, it has been released to the devices: Kobo Touch A/B, Kobo Touch C, Kobo Glo, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Touch 2.0, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2, Kobo Aura ONE. It has not been released to the: Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura Edition 2. The affiliates used to check these firmware versions were: kobo, rakutenbooks, bestbuyca, fnac, bol, beta, walmartca.

Download Links

Official Links: You can also try these generic links at your own risk:
Generated by Kobo Firmware Download Links by Patrick G. Source Code
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:26 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
[[*]Kobo Glo (mark 3)
Is this right??? I always thought the Kobo Glo was a mark 4 device. That's what it always used to be shown as in Murg's old sticky firmware thread. Worse than that, have I been installing the wrong firmware on my old Glo all these years? If so, it's never bricked itself.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:36 PM   #5
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
That killed my A1... doing a factory reset now,, will try again, for science.

Re-installed after factory reset, same black screen..

I think it's safe to say this release will be replaced soon.

Last edited by rashkae; 05-17-2017 at 09:44 PM.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:46 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
That killed my A1... doing a factory reset now,, will try again, for science.

Re-installed after factory reset, same black screen..

I think it's safe to say this release will be replaced soon.
The updated release has already happened. And yes, it was very annoying trying to read with black type on a black background.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:51 PM   #7
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The updated release has already happened. And yes, it was very annoying trying to read with black type on a black background.
You sure about that? I just redownloaded, but it's the same md5sum
Old 05-17-2017, 09:57 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You sure about that? I just redownloaded, but it's the same md5sum
I downloaded and it installed and looks okay. I've attached a screenshot of the SHA256 for the 4.4.9344 KoboRoot.tgz file. The manifest.md5sum only includes the files in the upgrades directory so it's no help with the KoboRoot.tgz file
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.4.9344_KA1_SHA256.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	156810  

Last edited by DNSB; 05-17-2017 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Fat fingered typos -- 9344 not 9434...
Old 05-17-2017, 09:59 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Sync'd and installed on my Aura HD and all seems to be working fine (or course I had already fixed my SD card problem before the update).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:07 PM   #10
rashkae
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I downloaded and it installed and looks okay. I've attached a screenshot of the SHA256 for the 4.4.9344 KoboRoot.tgz file. The manifest.md5sum only includes the files in the upgrades directory so it's no help with the KoboRoot.tgz file
I get d71a4ed9e655fa5162533a2c08d1d62699c8fe15891ebe33f7 0fab67047c4b6e

Blargh... 2 versions with the same file name being distributed.. this is not going to end well for the foolish brave to sideload early.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:17 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I get d71a4ed9e655fa5162533a2c08d1d62699c8fe15891ebe33f7 0fab67047c4b6e

Blargh... 2 versions with the same file name being distributed.. this is not going to end well for the foolish brave to sideload early.
Wonder if this is an issue with Akamai's edge servers?
Old 05-17-2017, 10:33 PM   #12
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
They also seem to have taken down FW 4.4.9298 for the aura edition 2, and replaced it with the older 4.3.9084 . It's currently showing 4.3.9084 as the highest. Anyone know why?
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:46 PM   #13
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Not worth the risk for me, KA1 doesn't have an SD card, and I don't buy books to get synced to my KA1 (I buy on another account and 'future proof them', then load them on via calibre).
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:58 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Not worth the risk for me, KA1 doesn't have an SD card, and I don't buy books to get synced to my KA1 (I buy on another account and 'future proof them', then load them on via calibre).
The problem is something with the Aura ONE, and maybe the Aura E2. It doesn't brick the device, but a factory reset is needed to recover. Kobo picked up the problem very quickly, pulled the update, fixed it and re-released. That's why I wasn't sure about the release number as I expected it to be changed, but I wasn't sure were it was.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:00 PM   #15
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The problem is something with the Aura ONE, and maybe the Aura E2. It doesn't brick the device, but a factory reset is needed to recover. Kobo picked up the problem very quickly, pulled the update, fixed it and re-released. That's why I wasn't sure about the release number as I expected it to be changed, but I wasn't sure were it was.
/shrug, good to know though I'll still probably not update since neither of the changes affected me anyway. I had also sideloaded the first 4.4 update so I don't think they'd push this one to me.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote