Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Feeding frenzy!

I wonder how many books Baen has given away today?
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
ozron
Groupie
ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, iPad, iPhone
I wish we could create a new section (in E-Book General) just for Baen and move these threads out of the Deals & Freebies section, as they've taken over...
ozron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I don't think they're going to last too long.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
camiller
Addict
camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wireless
yeah, with the old bundles going away Saturday these threads will get rare pretty quick.
camiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
scottken
Addict
scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook color
Yes--this is the feeding frenzy before the mass extinction event.
scottken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
camiller
Addict
camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For what is is worth, in the past three days I have participated in gift threads totaling 120 books. Some of those are duplicates so I would guess a little under 110 for me, maybe under 100.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Hopefully people realize today is the last day and check in frequently.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
Howlingwolf
Groupie
Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
For what is is worth, in the past three days I have participated in gift threads totaling 120 books. Some of those are duplicates so I would guess a little under 110 for me, maybe under 100.
I've been too busy trying to sort through the mess of continuously updating threads to count
Howlingwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
camiller
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlingwolf View Post
I've been too busy trying to sort through the mess of continuously updating threads to count
I've been keeping a spreadsheet with the bundle/who I am expecting the code from and who I will pass it on to. I just added a column for number of books and updated it.

On another note: I notice that I now have (or will have once the threads get up to me)

Belisarius II and III --- But not Belisarius I
Cobra War II and III --- But not Cobra War I
and the last six of the seven books in The Technic Civilization Saga by Poul Anderson --- But not the first book.

So I'm thinking of buying either Sept 2008 or Dec 2009 and starting a gift thread. Sept '08 has Belisarius I and Dec '09 has Cobra War I. Both have The Van Rijn Method which is the first book in the Technic Civilization Saga. Dec '09 also has a Bolo book, which I have been a sucker for since I read the first one as a kid more than 30 years ago. As I'm on a budget, being recently unemployed, I'm only going to get one of these past the wife.

Any thoughts

Edit: Just realized that those Belisarius volumes are omnibus editions containing two novels each and I already have the separate novels for Belisarius I, that makes the decision easier. There will be a new thread in a few min.

Last edited by camiller; 12-14-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
I wonder how many books Baen has given away today?
Judging from the time differences between my orders and the change in order number it looks like a sale about every 2 minutes. Not sure what their normal sales rate is.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #11
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Quote:
I've been keeping a spreadsheet with the bundle/who I am expecting the code from and who I will pass it on to. I just added a column for number of books and updated it.
That is sophisticated. I'm using an A4 notepad
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #12
Howlingwolf
Groupie
Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.

Quote:
I've been using a spreadsheet to keep track as well but it never occurred to me to add WHO I'd sent the PM to or who was next in the chain.

On your other note, I'm fairly sure that all of the Belisarius books are on the Baen CDs. I've certainly got them all in my Baen directory and none of them are on my bundles listing.

Which btw, contains precisely 100 books and doesn't include any of the 'new' stuff from the 'feeding frenzy'.

Jim Baen said at the time the CD images could be freely redistributed in their original form which I think are still available on the Fifth Imperium at the moment.

If not I can set up some private torrents but I'm not sure what, if any limits should be placed on that.

I must admit I'm rather fond of the Bolo books myself. Some of the newer ones by David Weber, el. al. seem perfectly in tune with the originals.

I think Keith Laumer must have had some personal experience with Tankies who do have a tendancy to get very attached to their hardware. I've personally see some of them saying "You will look after her won't you?" to the REME when they hand it over for maintenance and repairs.

Fortunately most of them aren't THAT bad
Old 12-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #13
camiller
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlingwolf View Post
I've been using a spreadsheet to keep track as well but it never occurred to me to add WHO I'd sent the PM to or who was next in the chain.

On your other note, I'm fairly sure that all of the Belisarius books are on the Baen CDs. I've certainly got them all in my Baen directory and none of them are on my bundles listing.

Which btw, contains precisely 100 books and doesn't include any of the 'new' stuff from the 'feeding frenzy'.

Jim Baen said at the time the CD images could be freely redistributed in their original form which I think are still available on the Fifth Imperium at the moment.

If not I can set up some private torrents but I'm not sure what, if any limits should be placed on that.

I must admit I'm rather fond of the Bolo books myself. Some of the newer ones by David Weber, el. al. seem perfectly in tune with the originals.

I think Keith Laumer must have had some personal experience with Tankies who do have a tendancy to get very attached to their hardware. I've personally see some of them saying "You will look after her won't you?" to the REME when they hand it over for maintenance and repairs.

Fortunately most of them aren't THAT bad
I did also download all the iso files the other day, but I notice in calibre that I only have 1, 2, 5, & 6. I'm sure I can find them.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #14
Howlingwolf
Groupie

Quote:
I did also download all the iso files the other day, but I notice in calibre that I only have 1, 2, 5, & 6. I'm sure I can find them.
This is a list of the CDs I have. I'm extracting them now and will get you a list of where those books are. They're probably on the David Drake CDs.

Baen 01 - Honorverse CD
Baen 02 - Aldenata CD
Baen 03 - Slammers CD
Baen 04 - Dragons CD
Baen 05 - Sceptere'd Isle CD
Baen 06 - Windrider CD
Baen 06b - Shadow of Saganami
Baen 07 - Looking Glass CD
Baen 08 - Ghost CD
Baen 09 - At All Costs CD
Baen 11 - Unto the Breach CD
Baen 12 - Hell Hath No Fury CD
Baen 13 - The Baltic War CD
Baen 14 - The Best of Jim Baen's Universe CD
Baen 15 - When the Tide Rises CD
Baen 16 - Claws That Catch CD
Baen 17 - Storm from the Shadows
Baen 18 - Eye of the Storm CD
Baen 20 - Torch of Freedom CD
Baen 22 - Mission of Honor CD
Baen 23 - 1635, The Eastern Front CD
Baen 24 - Cryoburn CD
Baen 25 - Invasion CD
Old 12-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #15
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I think I worked out a while ago that there were only six CDs (potentially) worth getting, since only six writers were participating in the programme (Eric Flint, John Ringo, David Drake, David Weber, Mercedes Lackey and Lois McMaster Bujold), and the later ones superceded the earlier ones.

I also decided to stop using the bundle chains after the first two. You're only meant to use 1 code per account. They clearly don't police it very much, but I figured I was getting plenty of free stuff from them already. I've been reading Baen ebooks since back in the mists of time when I had a Palm (late 90s?) and have only ever paid them $21 for ebooks, all of it this year.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote