Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-18-2010, 08:05 AM   #1
blackcat555
blackcat555 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is Kindle DX Graphite heavy?

For DXG user, will you use it when you are in train , bus etc?

Also ,do you feel it is heavy when you are using it at home or in outdoor?
blackcat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
treetotree
Connoisseur
treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle DXG,prs-350, wife k3
I do use it when in transit, but it is heavy and cumbersome to tot. Now that I have had it for four months, I whish I had got the k3 instead. That said, I plan to keep it and buy a sony 350. Then I will have accsess to epup and library, as well as amazon.
If I were to only purchase one, it would be a K3.
treetotree is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2010, 09:34 AM   #3
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
To give you some perspective, I just checked and my DXG is a mere 30 gm heavier than the October issue of "Better Homes and Gardens", and is quite a bit thinner, and a tad narrower side-to-side. I found a purse that accomodates it fairly easily, a briefcase, backpack, or messenger bag would be no prob. I'm not a train or bus commuter so I can't speak to specifics there, but if you would be comfortable taking along a thickish magazine on such excursions, I wouldn't expect any problems with the DX (less since you don't have to open it out, doubling its size as you read). It is rigid, of course, so if you would stow such a mag by folding it you would be in trouble!
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:34 AM   #4
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
For the size of the device I do not feel that it's too heavy. I went from a 6 inch Ezreader to the Kindle DXG and the while at first the weight of it was a bit noticeable I adjusted to it easily. I take it with me everywhere I go, although I do not use public transportation. My oldest son has endless medical appointments so it's very helpful while we sit in waiting rooms. I bought the DX stand for it while I am at home, so I just place in there and lay in bed to read. As far as outdoors goes the weight doesn't bother me at all. We do a lot of hiking at camping and it fits nicely into my backpack with out adding noticeable weight to it.
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
My problem with the Dxg is the cost. If it were like $250, I'd be all ocher it.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
jeremy81
Enthusiast
jeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire & Kindle 3
Mine felt heavy at first but only because I had been using a K3 prior to getting it. Now that I'm used to it it just feels more substantial and sturdier. If you are accustomed to reading hard-back books it would be close to the same weight as a mid-long novel.
jeremy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:53 AM   #7
psycholoner
Enthusiast
psycholoner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Its not really heavy, but you'll never be able to read comfortably holding it with one hand. I personally find it kind of bulky. I'm not willing to carry it when I'm not carrying a large back or backpack with me. Of course, thats inevitable since the entire point of having a DX it to have a bigger screen.
psycholoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:03 PM   #8
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
there's something about the shape or the way I held it - I got a back ache from reading in bed with it! I had to prop it against a pillow. This is not happening with my nice K3.
guiyoforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #9
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
it's heavy enough that you can't really use it with only one hand unless you rest it against something. If you hold it with 2 hands it's fine, or if you rest it on a desk/your lap/a pillow you're fine.

If you have a soft case that holds it, you can easily hold it without an issue. But it weighs over a pound (1.2 lbs) = (19oz)

The size is a bit awkward, like you can't grip it easily when you are up and about, I'd recommend getting a soft case of sorts. I'm used to toting around a 14in laptop to school every day & using it on the train, so this tiny thing doesn't bother me.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:55 PM   #10
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
i like to reading lying down a lot. DXG works just fine for this.
K2 is easier (read:lighter) but not by much.
iPad is a pain. (read:heavy)
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:32 AM   #11
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
My husband just got a DXG. I've had a K1 and a K3. I most certainly notice a difference in weight. It's doable but the K3 is more comfortable. The DXG is far better for certain formats of books like technical PDFs. For novels, I wouldn't find the extra screen space worth the weight.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:05 AM   #12
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
For novels, I wouldn't find the extra screen space worth the weight.
Oooh, I do, I do! I don't know for sure in a commuting sort of situation, but I recently finished my inaugural novel on my DXG and had to go back to my Sony Touch to read a library book. Blech. The Touch feels tiny and squinty. Part of it's the reflection and the relatively poor contrast, I'm sure, but a big part of it is the relative lack of screen space and needing to flip pages frequently.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:06 PM   #13
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post
Oooh, I do, I do! I don't know for sure in a commuting sort of situation, but I recently finished my inaugural novel on my DXG and had to go back to my Sony Touch to read a library book. Blech. The Touch feels tiny and squinty. Part of it's the reflection and the relatively poor contrast, I'm sure, but a big part of it is the relative lack of screen space and needing to flip pages frequently.
I do too!
it's much more pleasant reading anything on the DXG compared to Kx.
also, less page turns.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #14
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Device: DXG, PRS-350
Yep, its kinda heavy. I dont care. It has big screen that is outweigh its weight. Here the bigger really means the better. je je.
pashlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #15
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
I enjoy reading on my DXG a lot more than my wife's K3. I use an Amazon leather cover and when travelling, put all this into a 10" netbook cary case (~$10 on e-bay).

I don't find it too heavy but my wife does. The only thing heavy is the extra $180 price, but you soon forget about this once you start using it.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote