Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-13-2010, 11:19 PM   #1
Pookie
Pookie began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-300
Pictures

I have a few images (drawings) I want to put on my PRS-300.
Is it possible to create a small "comic book" which contains these pictures?
How do I make this picture book?
Pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to Mobileread, pookie.

Someone should step in soon with answers.

Enjoy the forum.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
tnronin
Zealot
tnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
I'd make a pdf of the images and go from there.

And like granny said, welcome.
tnronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:09 PM   #4
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
I tried a test book to see how it looked. It came out very nice. I dragged B/W clip art images into MS Word and published it as a PDF. The images kept the same ratio as the original. A full page image filled the 300 and a small corner one stayed in the corner.

If you don't have MS Word you can download a free copy of Open Office it can also do this for you.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
Pookie
Pookie began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-300
Thanks Dusty. I don't know how to publish a PDF.

I figured out a way though.

I right clicked on the image and "Opened With" Firefox. Yes Firefox!

Then I did a Copy Image.

Then I opened Wordpad. Notepad doesn't work.

Just paste all the images into Wordpad and save the document.

Then add the book to Calibre.

I'm sure there are a dozen other better ways to do this.
Pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
Thanks Dusty. I don't know how to publish a PDF.

I figured out a way though.

I right clicked on the image and "Opened With" Firefox. Yes Firefox!

Then I did a Copy Image.

Then I opened Wordpad. Notepad doesn't work.

Just paste all the images into Wordpad and save the document.

Then add the book to Calibre.

I'm sure there are a dozen other better ways to do this.
One easy way to make a PDF formatted for your reader is to use OpenOffice.org Writer (OpenOffice.org's word processor). All you do is create a text document, insert your pictures into the document, and format them the way that you want. When formatting your ebooks set the page size the same as your reader's screen.

Among the advantages of doing it this way are:

- You can mix text, tables, and pictures together. Basically, you can put anything in the ebook that Writer will allow.

- You will know exactly how many pages are in your ebooks. This allows you to insert an accurate table of contents into your ebooks (I do this with long ebooks).

- When you set the view to "Print Layout" the document on your screen will look the same as it will look on your ereader at the small size.

Once you've got your ebook the way that you want, just save it and then export it to PDF. Then just load the PDF on your reader using your regular method. If you're not happy with the way it looks, just open the text file, change it, and regenerate the PDF.

I hope this helps.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #7
georget99
georget99 began at the beginning.

You can also email the document (doc, docx, and others) to pdf@koolwire.com and they're email a pdf back to you.
georget99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
andyotter
andyotter began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300,PRS-600
Another way is to make an html file and use Calibre to convert it to an ePub.
Since I've had a PRS, I've been making a few eBooks and find html->ePubs nicer when I want a table of Contents/ jump links.
I don't have a PC or use Word but I'm fairly sure it will save a doc as an html resource which Calibre can then play with.
andyotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #9
G_E
G_E began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
I have a few images (drawings) I want to put on my PRS-300.
Is it possible to create a small "comic book" which contains these pictures?
How do I make this picture book?
Step 1: rescale the images (for example with Irfanview) so the size matches the resolution of your device
Step 2: make a zip file of the images
Step 3: change the extension zip into cbz
Step 4: import the cbz using calibre to convert the cbz to epub (try "comic processing" enabled and disabled, to see whatever option gives the best result on your device).
G_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
helenching78
helenching78 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS 300
I have another easy way.
Download a free software from a Japanese website
http://no722.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/
You can use the software in English. Although there is no English version of the page.
The file name is called "ChainLP036b6.zip". Just click on it to download.
Install & Run the software.
Then put all the image file into a folder(format can be jpg, png), click file--> open sequential file. Choose the folder where you place the files.

You can set the size of the output file as you like. Choose ePu if you want epub output.
Other choices of output file include pdf & lrf files.
Then you can click the 'output' button.
This convert the images into a ePub file. Done.

Last edited by helenching78; 02-26-2010 at 11:05 AM.
helenching78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #11
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
I recommend pdf995 (http://www.pdf995.com/. It acts like a printer driver.
You can use ANY program that lets you print to create your document, click print, select the pdf995 driver and it will print to a .pdf file (you can also set a custom page size so you aren't limited to standard paper dimensions).
Very flexible and free.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:08 AM   #12
garbanzo
bean
garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_E View Post
Step 1: rescale the images (for example with Irfanview) so the size matches the resolution of your device
Step 4: import the cbz using calibre to convert the cbz to epub (try "comic processing" enabled and disabled, to see whatever option gives the best result on your device).
i've used this method and it works very well. i actually converted a CBR archive i made to an LRF using Calibre. there were lots of cropping options in the conversion dialog - i set things up to display in landscape mode so i view the image sequence horizontally. fast and easy.
garbanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:24 PM   #13
G_E
G_E began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_E View Post
I've noticed that you can leave out step 1, and let Calibre do the rescaling. Just check "keep aspect ratio" and "disable trimming".
G_E is offline   Reply With Quote