Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-29-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
BrokenBird
Architect
BrokenBird began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
ROM Development

Hi, I would like to start developing for my PRS-505 and need some guidance, I would like to know where to start, what environment do I need (O/S, compiler, libraries, etc...).

What I want to do it replace to PRS-505 shell, I want to build a shell that will be folder based instead of meta-data based, and I want to make it more efficient so it won't crap out with 2000 books.

BrokenBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You need an ARM Linux toolchain. Try making a simple Hello, Wold app and run it using "Run Script" option in Universal Flasher.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
BrokenBird
Architect

Ok so I can make a simple application, but if I want to create a full ROM, how do I go about that? Is there a ROM depackager where I can extract existing ROM and modify some runtime behavior like removing the current shell and running mine?

Thanks
Old 07-29-2008, 05:39 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, use cramfsck to extract the image and mkcramfs to make it.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
BrokenBird
Architect

Ok thanks.

Now I know how to decompress a ROM, I know how to upload with the flasher tool, but how do I extract the ROM from the PRS-505?

Thanks again.
Advert
Old 07-30-2008, 10:34 AM   #6
igorsk
Wizard

Something like this:
Code:
cp /dev/mtdNN /Data/mtdNN
See /proc/mtd for the partition map.
N.B. never overwrite Loader, Linux2, Rootfs2 and Opt0 partitions - they handle the recovery mode which will allow you to unbrick the Reader with the official updater.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:12 PM   #7
BrokenBird
Architect

Not sure I follow, are you saying that partitions of the PRS will be mounted to my Linux when i plug it in? Or do I need some special tool to do this?

Also which Linux distribution do you suggest for development?

Thank you.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:43 PM   #8
igorsk
Wizard

No, you need to run that command on the device (e.g. via "run script" option in the Universal Flasher).
Old 07-30-2008, 03:53 PM   #9
BrokenBird
Architect

Ok thanks.

And about the linux distribution, which one should I use?

Thanks
Old 07-30-2008, 03:57 PM   #10
igorsk
Wizard

No idea, sorry. Just choose any for which there's a working ARM toolchain available.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:44 PM   #11
BrokenBird
Architect

Ok, since you asked this 2 years ago, I guess you have the answers: Which version of Crosstool do I need, and which gcc and glib versions. And should I go cygwin since I already have a windows setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
I want to try writing some code for the Reader. However, I'm not very familiar with Linux development, so I would like some advice from the more experinced MobileReaders.
As far as I know, firstly I need a cross-compiler toolchain. I found instructions (http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache...in/librie.html) for setting up a toolchain for Librie, but Librie uses older versions of gcc ang glibc, so I think that won't work too well.
From the listing of files in the Sony's source download repository:
hhl-target-gcc-3.2.1-mvl3.0.0.5.20.src.rpm
hhl-target-glib-1.2.10-mvl3.0.0.7.src.rpm
hhl-target-glibc-2.2.5-mvl3.0.0.15.14.src.rpm
So I guess I need to configure for gcc-3.2.1 and glibc-2.2.5, right?
Can I use those RPMs somehow? Or I'll have to use crosstool? I also found hhl-cross-gcc-3.2.1-mvl3.0.0.5.20.src.rpm, is this better than "target"? I have installed Ubuntu, will it work? Or it's better to get Redhat as it seems to be a preferred distro for Montavista? If so, which version? How about Cygwyn?.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:28 PM   #12
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenBird View Post
Which version of Crosstool do I need, and which gcc and glib versions. And should I go cygwin since I already have a windows setup?
I believe you can use the instructions from here: http://www.public.asu.edu/~ajennin/librie.html

A couple of years ago I set up the latest version of crosstool on Cygwin, and it worked, but only after I shortened the directory names in the setup path and renamed the ones with spaces in them, as crosstool was having a hard time setting up and building the toolchain.

I also set up Crosstool on some real Linux systems, and it worked without a hitch.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote