Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-25-2008, 05:56 AM   #1
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Post Manual installation of eBook Library (Windows 2003, Vista64 etc) and Digital Editions

Courtesy of Leaping Gnome:
Quote:
1. Download the eBook software.
2. Copy it to an easy location, like C:.
3. Go to a command window (Start -> Run -> Type "cmd")
4. Navigate to where you saved it, if you saved it on C:, just type "cd\" to go to the root of the C: drive.
5. Type the name of the file and a /a switch. Since the default name has spaces you'll need to use quotes. The command should look like this - "Ebook Library Installer" /a
6. Go through the prompts and it will ask you where to save the files, this installs the program where-ever you want, I just created a folder called SonyConnect.
7. It's all installed! Now it will not auto-create the icons for you, so if you want that, go to the next step.
8. The executable is in the folder \SonyConnect\program files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin (substitute SonyConnect for whatever you called your folder). Right-click and choose Send To -> Desktop (create shortcut). This will place an icon for it on your desktop.
However, if you want to use Digital Editions, another additional step needs to be done.
1. Download the attached pim.zip and extact it somewhere
2. Edit the extracted pim.reg and change the path to the bin folder where you installed the eBook Library:
Code:
"PIM_Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Sony\\Reader\\Data\\bin\\"
All backslashes have to be doubled and there have to be two trailing ones.
3. Double-click the .reg to import it into registry.
4. That's all! Now Digital Editions should see the Reader when you connect it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip pim.zip (385 Bytes, 1227 views)
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:31 PM   #2
stacis16
stacis16 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E-Reader PRS-505
Oops...wrong thread. I've moved this to the right one.

Last edited by stacis16; 08-18-2008 at 07:23 PM.
stacis16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
defaulthtm
defaulthtm doesn't litterdefaulthtm doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
I've done all of the above and the sony library works fine and can open / preview but ADE still fails to discover my PRS-505 (to allowing me to transfer the epub to my reader). Is there something that has to be done to force driver installation?
Am I missing something else?
defaulthtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:08 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Check and recheck the PIM_Path variable... if PIM.dll is there it should work.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I have Sony Library running on a Vista 64 machine using the above procedure. Also did a new install of Adobe DE. However, I cannot get Adobe DE to recognize the 505 to register it. I double-checked the path, incl. the double slashes and final slashes, quotes, correct path, etc. And even restarted after installing the reg entry. Nothing shows up in Adobe DE when I plug in the Reader. Any thoughts???
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2008, 06:31 PM   #6
igorsk
Wizard

Well, now that you mention it, I tried the procedure on Windows2003 which is 32-bit. Maybe the DLL doesn't work on 64 bit...
Old 08-31-2008, 06:43 PM   #7
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Any thoughts on a workaround? I'm off to the Adobe site in case there's an answer there. Library dl's would be very cool. Vista64 is not. (It's my sister's computer and new Reader, not mine!!)

Last edited by DrMoze; 08-31-2008 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:35 AM   #8
igorsk
Wizard

I don't think Adobe will be of any help here since PIM.dll is provided by Sony. And Sony does not officially support eBook Library on x64...
Old 09-01-2008, 05:17 PM   #9
defaulthtm
defaulthtm doesn't litterdefaulthtm doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
:-(
PIM.DLL is there and the path is correct. Is there something else I should try? Does the service need to be installed?
defaulthtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #10
DrMoze
Booknut

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I guess I'll bug Sony support then. I mean, Microsoft's OS issues aside, Sony's mainstream product *should* support a mainstream OS. (Waitaminute, forgot about the mac situation. ) I can't imagine it should be that difficult to support Vista 64. Adobe DE runs just fine...
Old 09-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by defaulthtm View Post
:-(
PIM.DLL is there and the path is correct. Is there something else I should try? Does the service need to be installed?
Microsoft makes is way too hard to get things working in x64 as far as drivers go so lots of companies just don't care if their software plays nice. Blame MS for that and also blame computer makers for including x64 and not giving a choice to get x32.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:54 AM   #12
igorsk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I guess I'll bug Sony support then. I mean, Microsoft's OS issues aside, Sony's mainstream product *should* support a mainstream OS. (Waitaminute, forgot about the mac situation. ) I can't imagine it should be that difficult to support Vista 64. Adobe DE runs just fine...
If you authorize your Reader once with DE on another PC with a 32-bit OS, you should then be able to buy books on Vista64 (or even Mac) and transfer them to Reader with eBook Library or just by simple file copying.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:05 PM   #13
DrMoze
Booknut

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
If you authorize your Reader once with DE on another PC with a 32-bit OS, you should then be able to buy books on Vista64 (or even Mac) and transfer them to Reader with eBook Library or just by simple file copying.
Interesting thought, but would that work with dl'ing 'borrowed' e-books from a library service? Also, does the Adobe DE program run independently from the Sony Library, or does Library have to be present on a pc to have the DE program recognize the Reader? If the former, then it would be possible to *just* load the Adobe DE program on a work computer, and borrow library e-books on that computer (without installing Library or registering the work computer with the Sony account.) Would this work?
Old 09-04-2008, 02:38 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Interesting thought, but would that work with dl'ing 'borrowed' e-books from a library service? Also, does the Adobe DE program run independently from the Sony Library, or does Library have to be present on a pc to have the DE program recognize the Reader? If the former, then it would be possible to *just* load the Adobe DE program on a work computer, and borrow library e-books on that computer (without installing Library or registering the work computer with the Sony account.) Would this work?
DE is separate from eBook Library. But, DE will not be able to transfer files to the reader unless you are on 32-bit windows with eBook lib installed. However, the files that DE downloads should be able to be copied manually to the Sony and work... as long as the PC and Reader are authorized to the same Adobe ID.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:09 AM   #15
KRYM2006
Junior Forever
KRYM2006 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, REB1100, Axim X51v, eBookwise 1150
Lost files

Hello!

I've found three threads on discussed topic within this forum. However, nobody mentioned about some files which were lost with this installation method.

When we run the setup exe with the /a switch to extract its content we are getting three folders:

Common
LocalAppData
program files

For Win XP it is obvious where content of those three folders should be installed during a normal installation. For Vista x64 it is less obvious while still possible to figure out. However, nobody mentioned that finding a right place for those files is real necessity.

Moreover, I believe nobody relocated discussed files during transferring installed eBook Library from Win x32 machine to Win x64 one.

Yes, the program starts successfully as is but one of the ignored folders, namely Common, contains DLLs:

msvcr70.dll
SonySCSIHelperService.exe
SonySCSIHelperServicePS.dll

Does somebody know what it is and whether it is really unimportant parts of the software?
KRYM2006 is offline   Reply With Quote