Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-24-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
KT: Cannot delete Instapaper files from content browser

I'm a littile bit with this problem.

I have configured Instapaper to send the pending read news to my Kindle Touch in a diary base. I receive and read them well, but I cannot delete them.

Does not matter what amount of time I put my finger in the file, ti do not opens the properties window that allows to delete it.

It only happens with Instapaper stuff.

Of course, connecting via USB files can be deleted.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
mikeschr
Connoisseur
mikeschr is on a distinguished road

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara
There are two ways to delete them. You can go to the Amazon website and delete them from your Personal Documents, at which point you'll be able to delete them on the Touch. Or, you can delete them by connecting to your computer via USB and deleting the files.
I haven't found a way yet to delete Whispersynced Personal Docs directly on the Touch.
mikeschr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeschr View Post
There are two ways to delete them. You can go to the Amazon website and delete them from your Personal Documents, at which point you'll be able to delete them on the Touch. Or, you can delete them by connecting to your computer via USB and deleting the files.
I haven't found a way yet to delete Whispersynced Personal Docs directly on the Touch.
Well, I can "Move to Archived Items" any other personal document stored in Personal Documents.

The problem is there does not open the properties window.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
mikeschr
Connoisseur
mikeschr is on a distinguished road

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
Well, I can "Move to Archived Items" any other personal document stored in Personal Documents.

The problem is there does not open the properties window.
Yes, and the only way I know of to get it to come up is to go to the Amazon website and delete them from your personal documents, as I said.
mikeschr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
I'm a littile bit with this problem.

I have configured Instapaper to send the pending read news to my Kindle Touch in a diary base. I receive and read them well, but I cannot delete them.

Does not matter what amount of time I put my finger in the file, ti do not opens the properties window that allows to delete it.

It only happens with Instapaper stuff.

Of course, connecting via USB files can be deleted.
The problem is that recent improvements to the Personal Documents service broke something when it comes to the 'subscription' format that Instapaper (and calibre) uses. They run everything through a conversion or sanitizing process, and subscription content that is delivered via 'whispernet' no longer behaves correctly. If you download from Instapaper site and side load with USB (or use dropbox or whatever to download to Kindle) then it should behave correctly.

Another workaround (if using Windows to browse) is to use Amazon's Send To Kindle Windows app to send a mobi file you have downloaded from Instapaper web site. Uncheck the 'Archive' option before sending, and it seems to bypass whatever part of the PD workflow is messing up things. It probably works also just to turn off PD archiving altogether on your Amazon account, though I have not tried that. I may have to try to figure out how Send To Kindle communicates with Amazon, maybe there is a secret word one can put in the Subject of emails sent to Kindle that says 'don't archive this'. I'm sure everyone would like to have that trick.

Hopefully Amazon will fix this at some point. I would contact InstaPaper also, as they are no doubt aware of the problem and might have some additional advice.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2012, 03:17 AM   #6
rfog
Guru

Thans a lot @mikeschr, @tomsen.

Now it is clear to me.