Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
vlad59
Addict
vlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo eReader Touch, Kobo Aura HD
OPDS client ???

Hi,

With the latest firmware, the Kobo is almost perfect for my use. The only remaining problrem left are :
  • To allow to organize the books with some kind of folders / tags
  • An OPDS client

I read that the first one is already in the todo list of Kobo.

But I never read anything here about an OPDS client. It's widely used for both commercial website (here I see the problem with the competition with Kobo's catalog) and also public domain ebooks.

And there's a lot of websites offering a lot public domain ebooks via an OPDS feed. For now I have to download the books from my laptop to sideload them afterwards.

So if anybody from Kobo read me, please consider adding an OPDS client (even if it's impossible to buy through it).

Thanks in advance.

Vlad
vlad59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
You can use the Kobo Browser to download books from sites such as Feedbooks and Project Gutenberg (or Fictionwise, for that matter).
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
vlad59
Addict
vlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five words

Hi,

Yes I know that, I just feel that a specific application (OPDS client) would better at the job. The browser is great but as soon as you have to scroll the e-ink start to show its limits.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:25 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I'm just guessing here, but it seems unlikely that Kobo will ever have more than one app--its own--on the Touch.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
r.bares
r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo touch
From what little ive just read of OPDS, it seems this could be quite easily written alongside a kobo-friendly RSS/Atom feed portal, which could then be accessed via the webbrowser. Providing your happy to use extra bandwidth every time you navigate through a menu, that is. Ofcourse that involves the server caching the content of these feeds for the duration of a users session on the site, and given the large user-base I wonder what the bandwidth requirements would look like.
r.bares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Is there an OPDS version available for Android?
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:07 AM   #7
vlad59
Addict

Don't understand the question ????

I'll try anyway : Aldiko and FBReader both have OPDS client (I think Mantano also).
Old 12-04-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
uli
Zealot
uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo, Calibre
I think you'll only see this with a community firmware mod like with the Trook Firmware.
uli is offline   Reply With Quote