Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 02-28-2007, 01:13 AM   #61
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
It should NOT be over-writing the original PDF.

It seems there's some big issues with 2.2.0.

I'll let you know when I get this sorted out and when there is a "stable" 2.2.x version available. For now, we can continue discussion in the beta thread. I probably shouldn't have mentioned 2.2 until it's been used by a few people.

I've posted 2.2.1 and am crossing my fingers that it'll work, but we'll see...

Last edited by alex_d; 02-28-2007 at 02:27 AM.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:26 AM   #62
JRAWKER
Connoisseur
JRAWKER began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Digital Paper
Alex, check your PM box!
JRAWKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2007, 07:29 AM   #63
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I still get 2KB files
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:52 AM   #64
daiphile
daiphile began at the beginning.

Please help!
I got the massage 'Evaluation period expired, please contact pdfsupport@pdf-tools.com' while I try to use PDFrasterfarian 2.1.6.
pdcat.exe may cause this problem.
Could I have any solution for this massage?
daiphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:54 PM   #65
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I ran into this message as well, but the output still came out OK (albeit a bit large in size; usually PDFR makes things smaller, not larger )
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2007, 08:17 PM   #66
daiphile
daiphile began at the beginning.

I solved the problem below by myself.
Eliminating 'EOF' in the crop_ps.awk works fine!
PDFrasterFaran is a really great tool!
---------------------------------------
Hey, guys.
I have trouble in using autocrop option.
When I turned the option on, I always get blank page only. If it is turned off, I get the converted lrf document but the document is not splitted even though it is set to half or quarter splitting. Please give me a clue to solve the autocroping problem.

Previewing, I got a message as below.
gawk: C:\Programs\PDFrasterFarian\\modules\crop_ps.awk:1 9: EOF
gawk: C:\Programs\PDFrasterFarian\\modules\crop_ps.awk:1 9: ^ syntax error
gawk: C:\Programs\PDFrasterFarian\\modules\crop_ps.awk:1 9: EOF prints;
gawk: C:\Programs\PDFrasterFarian\\modules\crop_ps.awk:1 9: ^ invalid in expression

Last edited by daiphile; 03-02-2007 at 10:44 PM.
daiphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:36 AM   #67
alex_d
Addict

Thanks, daiphile, i'll incorporate that fix into the next release. It's weird that this is the first I heard of this error. I hope if I make the change it doesn't cause problems for others.

As for pdcat... despite the message it doesn't seem to affect anything. Don't worry about it, but i'll try to find another tool. This also doesn't affect file size. The LRF comes out larger than the PDF if the PDF didn't have any pictures.

astra_lestat, thanks for the feedback but talk about the beta build on the beta thread.

Last edited by alex_d; 03-03-2007 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:02 AM   #68
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry Alex, but I can't seem to follow you on the filesize question. I'm just a little curious as to how the LRF is larger than the intial PDF when every other conversion has always resulted in a much smaller LRF. I understand that the LRF contains meta data, but does it really double the amount of characters in a given file when the actual text is present in the original PDF; i.e., almost all of my originals were rastered versions prior to PDFR, so didn't contain any actual text.

It's ok if you can't explain it (be tough with what limited info I've provided you with; i.e., the original file), but thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks for the clarification!
Old 03-05-2007, 12:41 AM   #69
Daft Willie
Daft Willie began at the beginning.

Am I crazy (was there a manual crop option?)

PDFRasterfarian is awesome.
I, however, am insane.

I'm using one of the 2.1.x betas...it works great, but do I remember an option where you could manually change the cropping options? Or is that just my crazy broken memory?

Happy reading!
Daft Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:44 AM   #70
alex_d
Addict

My LRFs don't contain any characters. When a PDF contains text, that text is turned into PNG images (it is rastered). This enables me to control the quality of font rendering, run post-processing "photoshop" filters, and preserve exact formatting. The images, though, turn out pretty small since they only have 4 colors and limited resolution. If you start with a PDF document that contains lots of pictures (especially high-res color), the end result will turn out much smaller because the information that the Sony Reader can't display gets stripped. However, if the PDF was just text and a few vectors (lines, circles, etc.) then the LRF will come out larger. Of course, given 2gb sd cards it doesn't really matter.

Daft Willie,
Maybe you're thinking of the overlap settings when you use the mode that splits a page four ways. Of course, you can also choose whether or not to do automatic cropping. Manual cropping, however, would be too impractical with a text interface. To do manual cropping I suggest first running the PDF either through Acrobat Pro (what I do) or JAP (which may give you even more control, but it preforms a rasterization step also and the final quality gets reduced a bit). If anyone knows any other PDF manual cropping programs, Please let us know (maybe I can just integrate it into the toolset). Manual cropping will be a big feature of pdfrasterfarian 3.0, whenever that sees the light of day.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:26 PM   #71
DrSiddons
A Seasoned User
DrSiddons began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 500
Installing 2.1.6

Good day all.

I've downloaded PDFrasterFarian 2.1.6. When I install it and run it, it labeled 2.1.4.

I initially tried 2.1.3. This version processed a document, but I couldn't find the final file. I upgraded and when I run 2.1.4, it processes 2 pages and stalls (it could still be processing for all I know). I is definitely taking more time than 2.1.3.

Help!

Dr. S.
DrSiddons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:36 AM   #72
Ncm
Ncm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500
Hi Alex,

Wonder if you could help me. I'm using your wonderful software. But every file I use PDFraster on increases in size dramatically. Thus a 600 K article would go up to about 2.2MB in size while a book 1.2 MB in size would increase to 15MB after the change. Is this normal or am I missing something?

Thks in advance.
Ncm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:45 AM   #73
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
PDFrasterFarian converts all text to images, so the size increase is natural.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:23 AM   #74
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!

Yeah, I figured as much. Almost all of my previous uses of PDFR had been on already rasterized PDF's, so PDFR almost always shrunk the file size down quite a bit. The other day I ran it on a PDF that contained the embedded text and when it was done the result was double the original file size. I guess PDF's have some type of built-in text compression that is much greater than simple raster images. I'm going to try feeding the raw content into another program and seek optimal output size vs quality.

I still stand by my opinion that PDFRasterfarian is by far one of the best tools for getting PDF's to look good and perform better on your Reader.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:22 AM   #75
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

ditto
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote