Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 03-31-2009, 11:07 PM   #1
alxwang
Connoisseur
alxwang began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, PocketBook 360
Hi, Can someone take photo to show me some files displayed in V3,BEBook or Ez Reader

2 of them are PDF. They are 7x9 and 8x10. The other one is chm.
I really want to know how they looks in actual reader.
Thanks a lot for any help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf The road to ruby_Part2.pdf (83.8 KB, 574 views)
File Type: pdf Xcode 3 Unleashed_Part19.pdf (195.5 KB, 383 views)
alxwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
alxwang
Connoisseur

Please change Advanced Perl programming.avi to Advanced Perl programming.chm. The forum does not allow upload chm I think.
Thanks again.
Attached Files
File Type: avi Advanced Perl programming.avi (857.4 KB, 393 views)
Old 03-31-2009, 11:55 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I can't get CHM to work reliably. See the scans for the PDF ebooks. Note that these are lower resolution than the actual screen. PDF has three magnifications, full screen, crop margins and landscape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EZR_PDF1h.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	26849   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZR_PDF2h.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	26850   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZR_PDF3h.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	26851   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZR_PDF4h.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	26852   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZR_PDF5h.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	26853   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZR_PDF6.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	26854  
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
alxwang
Connoisseur

Thanks a lot! It really helps.
I think it looks pretty good.
Can you tell me what do you think?
Thanks.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I could not read the portrait mode screens, but the landscape mode was just legible for me. However, my eyesight isn't good - I can barely read the small text on packaged food labels for example.

The other possibilities are to reflow the PDFs off-line (e.g. using Calibre or Windows MobiPocket Creator) or to convert to custom images off-line (e.g. using PDFRead). The Sony PRS-505 and 700 can reflow on the fly, and other 6" devices are about to include Adobe Digital Editions which is responsible for this capability. So we may not yet have seen the best possible 6" PDF display capability, but the bottom line is that PDFs don't display well on a screen this small with page refreshes this slow (so panning and zooming isn't very effective).

The EZ Reader's CHM support isn't good enough to use so far as I can tell. It always seems to hang up on navigation between sections. Or perhaps there is a way to make it work which I am missing. OpenInkPot uses FBReader for CHM, and this may be better but it can't handle large (multi-MB) CHMs because the entire document is read into memory when opened.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The Sony PRS-505 and 700 can reflow on the fly, and other 6" devices are about to include Adobe Digital Editions which is responsible for this capability.
PDF-reflow is coming! Should be available for the BeBook in a month or so..
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post
PDF-reflow is coming! Should be available for the BeBook in a month or so..
That is good news. If you want to see how it will likely work, try Sony's Windows ebook Reader. Note that this now emulates the PRS-700 (more font sizes). One thing I hope BeBook does is retain the crop margins view, which was apparently available on the PRS-500 but dropped from the PRS-505 when Digital Editions reflow was added.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:31 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
That is good news. If you want to see how it will likely work, try Sony's Windows ebook Reader. Note that this now emulates the PRS-700 (more font sizes). One thing I hope BeBook does is retain the crop margins view, which was apparently available on the PRS-500 but dropped from the PRS-505 when Digital Editions reflow was added.
I would expect that none of the existing ePUB or PDF viewing will be present when they adopt the ADE. It is likely Adobe will simply drop in a replacement reader for those file types so everything will change. There are already several readers on board the device (hence the inconsistent behaviors) so this would be the cleanest way to implement the change.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It is likely Adobe will simply drop in a replacement reader for those file types so everything will change.
I agree that this is likely, particularly given the addition of DRM, although there are differences between the PRS-505 and PRS-700 implementations for example. I am hoping (but not expecting) that some of the vendors will add value by including parts of their existing PDF capability. It may be difficult to do, and not high priority in the short term even if possible.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:15 PM   #10
alxwang
Connoisseur

I just found out you have ILiad too. It is that 8 inch one? Maybe I asked too much is it possible you can show me how they looks in ILiad too? I am trying to make decision between ILiad and bebook now.
Bebook is cheaper( <50%) and sounds powerful on mulit format but ILiad has big screen and should be better on PDF.
Thanks.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxwang View Post
I just found out you have ILiad too. It is that 8 inch one?
Yes. I don't use it for PDFs much, so I have the standard PDF reader. There are multiple enhanced versions, see Multi IPDF installer for 2.12.

The standard view is full page. To cut the margins, I used the stylus to select a zoom region. The landscape view is in "continous" mode. For the 2nd document, I needed to zoom to get a good landscape view, but it is remembered between page advances (in continuous mode).

These are actual 768x1024 bitmaps from the screen. They will typically be much larger on your PC's screen (and you may need to click on the images to get them full size in your browser).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	iliad_PDF1.png
Views:	434
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	26898   Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_PDF2.png
Views:	422
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	26899   Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_PDF3.png
Views:	429
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	26900   Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_PDF4.png
Views:	414
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	26901   Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_PDF5.png
Views:	430
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	26902   Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_PDF6.png
Views:	391
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	26903   Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_PDF7.png
Views:	382
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	26904  
Old 04-01-2009, 08:15 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader

Here are screenshots of the CHM using FBReader on the iLiad. I use a large bold font, but this is user selectable with FBReader (which you can try on your PC). Navigation is easy using the stylus and FBReader allows for multi-level CHM TOCs. It does not handle code fragments very well (does not recognize preformatted text), as illustrated by the last screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	iliad_CHM1.png
Views:	426
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	26905   Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_CHM2.png
Views:	429
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	26906   Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_CHM3.png
Views:	411
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	26907  
Old 04-01-2009, 08:27 PM   #13
alxwang
Connoisseur

Thanks a lot!
They are beautiful!
Damn! I almost decide BEBook but now I think I need ILiad now.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:41 PM   #14
alxwang
Connoisseur

Also, One more question: ILiad's photos are screenshot,right? That's why they are so breath taking.
wallcraft, From your own judgment, How much you think Iliad is better than bebook base on my sample files?
Thanks.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:42 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Also, One more question: ILiad's photos are screenshot,right? That's why they are so breath taking.
Yes, one of the advantages of an open device like the iLiad is that you can get software like a screenshot maker on it. These are accurate depictions of the screen, except that the background is gray rather than white and the image is probably larger on your PCs screen than on the iLiad (which has 160 ppi).

Quote:
How much you think Iliad is better than bebook base on my sample files?
There is no doubt that a 8" screen is better for standard PDFs than a 6" screen, and the iLiad's PDF viewer (and its community-provided variants) is more full featured than that on the BeBook. However, it is expensive and has only a ~15 hr battery life and takes ~45 seconds to boot (with no sleep mode). If you want to scribble notes on the PDF, then again the Iliad wins.

I agree with the majority of the comments I have seen on the Forum about typical PDFs and 6" screens, which is that they are not large enough. However, there are some who are happy with that screen size. An 8" screen in landscape mode is just about large enough for PDFs, but the iLiad is a frustrating device which is almost good enough in many ways but not quite polished enough to be successful. So far most indications are that its competitors will have 9.7" screens. These will likely be even better for PDFs, at the cost of a bulkier device. They have also been on the horizon for a long time, but may finally appear this summer or fall.