Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-17-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
Noonie
Noonie began at the beginning.

Device: None
I know what features I want...not what ereader

I have the original Kobo with the button. It's been having issues so I was going to replace it. Like another post I read here, where the person listed features important to them, I've done the same here (no particular order - but they're all important)...thanks.

Light: I read a lot in bed with no lamps on, while my wife is sleeping (or trying to ). I use a clip-on light now and would love to get an ereader that is nicely back-lit in bot the dark, and very dim conditions. This is very important.

Basic use only (so I want easy): All I ever do on my ereader is buy a book, read it, and will likely not read it again. I don't read so much that I need to manage the library (much), and therefore, I want it to boot up quickly, turn pages quickly, have a nice to read screen, and have very little quirks or issues. With my Kobo I made a case out of a double dvd case as when I'm using my kobo I like just handling it without extra weight...so the 'case' considerations are important (can I make a nice one and do like I do today, or is there a perfect after-market case?).

Audio books: I listen to audio books in the car (iPhone) when I'm driving to work or elsewhere on my own. I currently use audible. Some of those books are like 40+ hours long of listening...I read about whispersync and thought it would be cool to listen and read the same book and have simple synching ability. However, I do not want to listen/read all books, just some (5-10 a year). So while this is important, it's not absolutely necessary. Would give 7 out of 10 on importance scale. With Kindle/Audible, is this a big cost (heard you buy both ebook/audiobook...exlample, Words of Radiance by Sanderson).

Location: I live in Canada (Ontario). I want to be able to buy just about any book that is available as an ebook, without location issues. That said, I primarily read fantasy (Sanderson, Martin, etc.) and cycling books...but some odd books too (japanese tea, for example).

Battery life/indicator: longer life the better. But give me an accurate battery reader so that I can know when I'm 25%, 10%, etc. I don't care if it takes a while to charge (would do over night). Plus I still read paper books...

Any other factors I would want to consider (given my points above)?
Noonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Other than the audio books, those specs say either a lit Kobo device or a Kindle Paperwhite. As you already use a Kobo device, then I'd say stay with it. The Glo is cheapest of the lit devices, and is enough for your use. If you can find the Aura at a good price, it would be good as well. The Aura HD is probably overkill.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2014, 11:02 PM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
If you stick with Kobo, you won't get Whispersync for audiobooks, so I'd say a Kindle Paperwhite is closer to your perfect device.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:01 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I agree that the Kindle PW would be ideal for the user's needs: the Amazon bookstore is the best around, and the user has no interest in re-reading old books.

For the benefit of the original poster, it's worth noting that no eInk read is backlit, for the simple reason that eInk screens are opaque. All the illuminated eInk devices are frontlit.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:23 AM   #5
Noonie
Noonie began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
For the benefit of the original poster, it's worth noting that no eInk read is backlit, for the simple reason that eInk screens are opaque. All the illuminated eInk devices are frontlit.
What does that mean to providing light for reading in the dark...are the PW and Aura (for example) frontlit? Is that inferior to backlit?
Noonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2014, 05:32 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonie View Post
What does that mean to providing light for reading in the dark...are the PW and Aura (for example) frontlit? Is that inferior to backlit?
It simply means that the screen is illuminated from the front, not from the back. No, it's not inferior - just different.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
And, the Paperwhite does not have any audio ability, so Whispersync is out. Only the Fires, of the currently sold models, support that.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:35 PM   #8
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Light: I read a lot in bed with no lamps on, while my wife is sleeping (or trying to ). I use a clip-on light now and would love to get an ereader that is nicely back-lit in bot the dark, and very dim conditions. This is very important.
A front-light makes your eyes go funny in the dark, no matter how dim it goes. You'll still need a clip-on light. But the front-light is handy for dim situations.

Quote:
Audio books: I listen to audio books in the car (iPhone) when I'm driving to work or elsewhere on my own. I currently use audible. Some of those books are like 40+ hours long of listening...I read about whispersync and thought it would be cool to listen and read the same book and have simple synching ability.
AFAIK no mainstream e-reader offers audio anymore. There are other things that are harder to get and cost more. I'd forget this if I were you.

If you like your current Kobo, I's suggest the new Kobo Aura (not the HD).

But you might want to wait. Normally new e-readers come out in the fall. You might want to get a new model or get a deal on a current model being phased out.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:19 PM   #9
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
I like the Kindle PW2. They will likely release a new e ink reader in the fall, so you may want to hold off.(If you like having the newest devices)
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:53 PM   #10
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
A front-light makes your eyes go funny in the dark, no matter how dim it goes. You'll still need a clip-on light. But the front-light is handy for dim situations.
What the heck are you talking about? I've never heard of a Paperwhite user's eyes "going funny". You don't need a clip-on light - that's what the front lighting is for.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:05 PM   #11
kristalana
Groupie
kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Galaxy Tab Pro
Quote:
Is it possible there's something specific about your eyes? Or perhaps you've had defective ereaders? Because I have no idea what you're talking about here.
kristalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:50 PM   #12
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
And, the Paperwhite does not have any audio ability, so Whispersync is out.
The OP says they listen to audiobooks on their iPhone.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:21 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
That sounds like a problem with your eyes, not with the device. A clip-on light is still a frontlight. Think about it logically - why should there be a difference? I've been using frontlit readers ever since they've been available, with no problems at all.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:36 AM   #14
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I have no problem with either my Paperwhite or Nook Glow reading with the device light on in the dark. And I don't have great eyes. I do have a problem with backlit screens (like my iPad) in the dark, but not much if I turn the light down quite a bit.

I like the PW and Glow lights turned pretty low in the dark and high if I'm reading around a lot of light. I assumed it would be the opposite.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #15
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
The majority of people seem to be happy with a built in frontlight. I don't like it but my eyes do not go funny. In the few situations where I have used it, either dim or dark, I fiddle with it off and on, and find myself stopping reading sooner because it isn't as comfortable as either an overhead light (my favorite) or a lighted cover. More convenient but less comfortable for me.

Most ereaders can be returned, so I would advise getting one with a frontlight. And even if you don't love it like myself, still is handy on occasion if you don't want to spend the money on a lighted cover.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote