Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-22-2008, 07:15 PM   #1
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Unoffical iPhone ebook reader?

http://www.pdfzone.com/c/a/Mobile/Ap...PICS012208STR4

Dunno is it has been brought up here or not...but cool news for iPhone owners.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:16 PM   #2
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
oh, carp...it's over 6-month old news...d'oh!!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:48 PM   #3
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Actually Books.app is a nice application which needs some polish. I used it a little on my iTouch though for text based books I prefer Fbreader on the 770.

However Safari is very good at reading pdf's, being very, very fast
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:48 AM   #4
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Does iPhone have eInk screen?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:58 AM   #5
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Does iPhone have eInk screen?
Not it doesn't.

When Apple release their SDK, I hope we'll get an application like FBReader ported to the iPhone. Currently, using Feedbooks, you can create great looking PDF files for the iPhone, but you can't save PDF files using Safari.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:39 AM   #6
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Not it doesn't.

When Apple release their SDK, I hope we'll get an application like FBReader ported to the iPhone. Currently, using Feedbooks, you can create great looking PDF files for the iPhone, but you can't save PDF files using Safari.
Unless it's jailbroken I have easily 1 Gb of pdf's on my iTouch; you just need to install and tinker a little bit with Apache (or other alternatives to be able to use Safari to see the files on the iPhone) following clear googled instructions and you can use iPhone Browser to transfer files from Windows.

I hope too that once the SDK is released you could do everything directly and officially and either Fbreader will be ported or Books.app improved
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:05 AM   #7
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
Unless it's jailbroken I have easily 1 Gb of pdf's on my iTouch; you just need to install and tinker a little bit with Apache (or other alternatives to be able to use Safari to see the files on the iPhone) following clear googled instructions and you can use iPhone Browser to transfer files from Windows.

I hope too that once the SDK is released you could do everything directly and officially and either Fbreader will be ported or Books.app improved
I remember something about future Books.app improvements. I think that the lead developer said on Teleread that he was considering adding epub support.

If someone could use Safari to take care of the HTML+CSS and work on supporting metadata/TOC, it should be possible to create a very good epub reader on the iPhone.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
blackwind
blackwind began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I know this thread is a bit old, but I love reading books on the iPhone.

dBelement's reader is by far the best eBoook reader on the iPhone. (http://reader.dbelement.com)
One touch scrolling, bookmarking...and it looks better than any other eBook reader I've ever seen.

blackwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Is Reader an offline or online reader? What file formats does it support? The web site does not provide many details.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:25 PM   #10
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I clicked on the "touch here" (from my Mac, I clicked on it) and it wants a username and password. I think it may be a "web app" and probably is used online. BUT I don't have an iPhone yet, so what do I know.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:09 PM   #11
blackwind
blackwind began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Yup it is a web-app

Here are some reviews of it:
http://phonedifferent.com/2008/04/we...ew_reader.html
http://iphoneappreviews.blogspot.com/
blackwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:43 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwind View Post
Interesting reviews. The reviewers seem not to know much about character sets since the first one doesn't know why a curly apostrophe doesn't work. It would seem that it supports only ASCII text. It is not clear by the minuscule reviews is there is any font control, italic, bold, or any other kind of formatting. It is also unclear if images can appear. The reviews leave more questions than they answer in my mind.

It seems to indicate in the second review that you can run a copy of the reader on your pc in a browser and then paste the text from the paste buffer into the window and it will appear on your account bookshelf. There is no indication as to the capacity of the bookshelf. Guess I'll have to find someone who has an iPhone to find out how this really works.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote