Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #16
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
I find Textile a lot better, as well as all the normal styles (italics/bold/headers etc.), you can also do super/subscript text, alignment (left/right/center/justify), add your own style to span (%) or paragraph tags etc.

Agama, what text editor do you use.

If you use EditPad I can send you a Textlie syntax I made to highlight all the main TextileTags and a Textile File navigation scheme, which will list the headers in a side panel, so you can jump to them quickly.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #17
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
I use Notepad++
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #18
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

If you'd care to try EditPad (there is a Free Version), I can send you said files, otherwise just use your Notepad++

(You can also have a clip library, where e.g. you double-click emphasis, and any selected text you have would be surrounded by emphasis tags, also works for bold/citation/code and others)

I don't know how easy it would be to do your own syntax for Notepad++, but using the one I made for EditPad makes editing a lot easier.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:19 AM   #19
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've never made a syntaxer in Notepad++ but I'll have a go. Editpad certainly looks good, (I'm reading the manual), with a very impressive regex engine, (NP++ regex applies on a single line-by-line basis and there are no back references). I couldn't tell whether Editpad supports Find/Replace All across all open files - a feature that I find very useful in NP++. I'll download EP and have a play. Maybe you could post your syntaxer to this forum as a resource available to us all.

I have lead this post somewhat off topic, (sorry moderators!), but text preparation of sources prior to calibre conversion is an important and time consuming job, so maybe we need somewhere in this forum for sharing info/resources on this topic.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:43 AM   #20
Perkin
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
I couldn't tell whether Editpad supports Find/Replace All across all open files - a feature that I find very useful in NP++.
Yes it can replace over several files, just tick the 'All Files' in the S&R panel
(Can even do it over projects.)

Quote:
Maybe you could post your syntaxer to this forum as a resource available to us all.
Will do (just sorting them and instructions out).
Old 02-23-2011, 07:35 AM   #21
Perkin
Guru

Here's the EditPad syntax file and a file navigation file and more.

Upack the zip, included are five files,

Copy all these into Directory you installed EditPad into
(Mine is C:\Program Files\JGsoft\EditPadPro6)

Textile.jgcscs (the syntax file)
Textile.jgfns (a file navigation file - as flat list)
Textile_Tree.jgfns (a file navigation - as a tree)

Open EditPad, go to Options-Configure File types
In bottom left of new window, select import and point to Textile.ini

If you also want my clips, in Options-Configure File types panel, select 'System & Navigation', at bottom, point clip collection to My_Clips_Collection.atc (a small set of clips to help add styling)

In main window, open a Textile.txt file,
Or Cut and Paste these few lines.

Code:
h1. Header type 1

*Bold,* _Italics,_ and ??Citation??

* List Item
* Another Item
* Last item
Then in toolbar-Filetype - change to Textile (or Options-Filetype)
You should now have a styled file.
(Whenever you open a txt file that's Textile styled you need to change filetype to Textile, I could do it so it does all txt files, but found it easier to switch by hand.)

If you open the File Navigator panel (Ctrl+F9), the panel should open up and have the item
'Header type 1' in the list (if using the above small example)

p(poem). Also in panel opened up, should be another tab 'Clip collection', if you select that,
several clips should be listed.

If you select the word 'Another' in the main window, then double-click 'Emphasis' in the collection, the 'Another' should be surrounded by _'s.

There's four entries there I use p(none). p(cap). p(poem). and p(inset). that, when converting to epub (or whatever) get styled classes. You can also use them in span classes in your text.
(This is %(cap)SmallCaps% )

In Calibre's 'Conversion-Look & Feel-Extra CSS' I have
.inset {padding-left:10%; padding-right:10%; text-indent:0;}
.none {text-indent:0;}
.cap { font-variant: small-caps;}
.poem {padding-left:10%; padding-right:10%; text-indent:0; text-align: left; font-style: italic;}

Please bear in mind - This is still a work in progress and is not complete.

I think that's everything. Any questions, suggestions or additions?
Attached Files
File Type: zip EditPad_Textile.zip (3.2 KB, 203 views)
Old 02-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #22
Agama
Guru

The ini file contains a line: ClipCollection=I:\My_Clips_Collection.atc

Presumably this is where to store clip collections and can be changed as required?
Old 02-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #23
Perkin
Guru

Yes, sorry, that's where mine was stored.

Edit:
I think if you use the Preferences and set the clip-collection, that will overwrite the one from the ini anyway.

Last edited by Perkin; 02-23-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #24
Perkin
Guru

I've just tested my instructions, I must mention, this will only work with the EditPadPro (Full/Trial) version, not the Lite version.