Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-03-2021, 11:43 PM   #31
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
I've also looked into anti-glare screens. Although advertised as reducing glare and/or reflections, most have complaints about worsening reflections. Which makes sense.

Dasung has introduced a 10.3" version of their hybrid Not E-reader, but it's also very expensive.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:17 AM   #32
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And I missed that Boyue has introduced a 10" model. It would rely on screen sharing via usb-c. I tried my current screen sharing software, managed to sort out screen orientation, but got an awful flicker and migraine. If I can stop that flicker, it might be a much more affordable option.
Advert
Old 05-07-2021, 07:30 AM   #33
wold
Zealot
wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Lux 5, Libra 2, PRS-T2N
Reading through the thread, it might help to mention text-based* applications exist.
These could be an ideal match for slowly updated e-ink screens.

Examples are the https://newsboat.org/ RSS reader and Mutt mailclient https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutt_(email_client)
I'm not affiliated with either BTW.

These programs tend to be simple, lack images and are entirely keyboard driven (no mouse cursor).
Screen updates usually only occur after you issue a keyboard command.

They do sacrifice features and convenience, and the learning curve can be steep. And it'll likely require using another system than Windows. It all depends on how 'tech-savvy' you are (or get a helping hand).

*or CLI/terminal/shell programs. Basically <90's tech, which forms the basis of unix-like systems and windows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	800px-Mutt.png
Views:	180
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	186991   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.23-screenshot_1x-ec3449d9.png
Views:	178
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	186992  
wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:26 AM   #34
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Yes. This is also entirely doable on an Android eInk device using an app like Termux and a Bluetooth keyboard.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:07 PM   #35
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by wold View Post
These programs tend to be simple, lack images and are entirely keyboard driven (no mouse cursor).
mutt has hooks to quickly, easily, and conveniently view attached images with an external viewer.

Quote:
They do sacrifice features and convenience,
In my experience, mutt adds features, convenience, and responsiveness.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2021, 12:43 PM   #36
wold
Zealot
wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Lux 5, Libra 2, PRS-T2N
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
mutt has hooks to quickly, easily, and conveniently view attached images with an external viewer.

In my experience, mutt adds features, convenience, and responsiveness.
I understand, but to abuse a saying: I was preaching to newcomers, not the choir
wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:08 PM   #37
MarjaE
Guru

I have been testing screen sharing software with my Likebook Mars. The first few options had constant flickering, but Duet Display seems to avoid that, at least in wired mode. Duet Display also supports the touchscreen which avoids having to go back and forth between reader and keyboard all the time.

I still have a moderate migraine. That may be because of the small print, having to scroll at times instead of just page down, and today's weather.

My current reading app, Clearview, is a poor fit for this screen. It keeps reverting to small font sizes for epub and mobi. I'm going to need larger font sizes, more spacing, and bolder contrast. It also sizes pdf files side-to-side, but I may need to size them top-to-bottom, and use thumbnails to flip pages.

P.S. Thunderbird is awfully small on this screen, but it works.

Since the screen sharing software is working for me, the Boyue Likebook P10 looks like a good choice for me. I do wonder if a P13 will come out though.
Old 05-07-2021, 06:48 PM   #38
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Reflective LCD is basically an LCD screen with no backlight but with a layer to reflect external light. This is also called a transflective LCD. If you have ever used an old Game Boy/Game Boy Color or the original Game Boy Advance it's that kind of screen. You need a very bright light source for it to be visible and if glare is a problem it won't work well for you as you typically need a bright light shining directly on it to see anything. Color also gets kinda washed out.
What about a matte screen proctector ? Seems like a good choice. Sure, it still may have some glare but it doesn't emit light like an LCD display. Owners of the Hisense A5 seem to be pretty content despite its reflective display.

I have a lot of eye strain as well which is why I'm looking for an E-paper monitor as E-ink has been wonderful for my eyes. I'm heavily leaning towards the Hisense Q5 though as it's so much cheaper and has a fast refresh rate. As to needing an external light source for it - when does one not have an external light source ? Whenever I read on my kindle or read a physical book, I do.
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:07 PM   #39
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's a review of the Hisense Q5. The owner suffers from eye issues as well and seems content with it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekl6...annel=RobotKid
Old 05-07-2021, 07:20 PM   #40
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1 View Post
What about a matte screen proctector ? Seems like a good choice. Sure, it still may have some glare but it doesn't emit light like an LCD display. Owners of the Hisense A5 seem to be pretty content despite its reflective display.

I have a lot of eye strain as well which is why I'm looking for an E-paper monitor as E-ink has been wonderful for my eyes. I'm heavily leaning towards the Hisense Q5 though as it's so much cheaper and has a fast refresh rate. As to needing an external light source for it - when does one not have an external light source ? Whenever I read on my kindle or read a physical book, I do.
They pretty much need a bright light pointed directly at them. It's considerably harder to see a transflective display in the same light compared to an eInk one.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:52 AM   #41
tracey1
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
They pretty much need a bright light pointed directly at them. It's considerably harder to see a transflective display in the same light compared to an eInk one.
I agree. However, for me the points you mentioned don't seem to be much of a nuiscance as I'm always surrounded with ambien light when I'm working on my laptop and I don't think I would mind using a desk lamp in the evening for assistance.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:14 PM   #42
MarjaE
Guru

Bought the Boyue P10.

Unable just yet to install Duet Display on it. I've contacted Duet for help, waiting for any reply.

P.S. Was able to install Twomon USB. Can't run Twomon SE on my computer. This works without flicker, but doesn't support as many resolution options as the other. Due to the limited screen size, I'm going to have to tweak my email settings.

Last edited by MarjaE; 05-13-2021 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:45 AM   #43
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hi Reader Pro, Page, Tab Ultra C, Mira, Dasung Paperlike Colour
Never had a P10, but I've tried using a few older e-readers as monitors and the Dasung performed much better. Their optimisation for single purpose e-ink monitors is very good. Even a Boox Max 3 which has a HDMI port and the same screen hardware was really poor in comparison.

The main problem with Dasung is their customer service. From my experience they typically ignore support requests.
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 04:05 PM   #44
Ereadlog
Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

MarjaE did you try using blue light blocking glasses, eg Uvex Skyper for your problems ?
Ereadlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 04:20 PM   #45
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=339747

The Mira looks perfect.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
computer monitors, monitors, vision problems