Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
How to repair your Kindle Keyboard (NOT!).

First, I was given a frozen Kindle 3. I’ll call this Kindle A. I thought I was brilliant when, through much searching of this forum, I revived it, most recently using Kubrick, a great tool for installing a fresh O.S. (flashing the firmware). So, when I friend reported that his Kindle (Kindle B) was frozen, I gave him my resurrected one, which promptly froze on him. In the meantime, I did everything possible to revive his – his screen was frozen in negative, no signs of damage. When nothing worked (again, Kubrick was used to flash the firmware), I assumed the screen of Kindle B was the problem. In retrospect, I see how faulty my reasoning was – even a cracked screen will show some change when the Kindle is unfrozen.

Next step: take the good screen from Kindle A, and put it in Kindle B. I wasn’t careful removing the negative screen and broke it, because, or course, it was already broken, right? Wrong! Once installed in Kindle B, the good screen from the Kindle A is frozen. So now I have two broken Kindles, and, to top it all off, I had ordered a replacement screen. So I’m left with two good homeless screens.

Also, I realized that one can try out a new screen without going to all the trouble of pulling the Kindle 3 apart. One can simply remove the back, disconnect the screen cable, and plug in the replacement – the cable is long enough. I could have saved myself the eye strain of removing and reinstalling all of those tiny screws (which I did several times, just to make sure). Short of embarking on a detailed study of the circuit board, I think I’m done.

Edit: I ordered a replacement motherboard from here:
http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Amazon...p-1-c-694.html

Installed, works perfectly. No trouble registering, etc.

Last edited by montalex; 03-15-2013 at 07:47 PM. Reason: fixed
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Sounds like your friend is allergic to Kindles if your newly ressurected one froze on him so quickly. Are you sure he didn't do something to break them accidentally?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Sounds like your friend is allergic to Kindles if your newly ressurected one froze on him so quickly. Are you sure he didn't do something to break them accidentally?
These are Kindles from two different sources. Both continued their bad behavior while in my caring hands.

I did figure out a cool way to deal with the well-known Kindle 3 cover problem. Instead of covering the gold insert tabs with paint or tape, I opened-up the Kindle case, removed the lower tab contact (4 screws) and put electrical tape directly on the logic board over the contacts. That way, there is no worry about paint or tape wearing through and recreating the short.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I think a bit underrated is the possibility to fry Kindles by electric discharges, most probably due to faulty USB cables, faulty USB chargers and even faulty USB host ports, either on USB hubs or computers. Where the last one is probably the most unlikely, I've seen weiiiiiird stuff going on with cables, chargers and hubs.

That said, a broken screen might show no sign of life at all. I think that's obvious this way around - where a screen that still shows some life might be broken nevertheless.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
These are Kindles from two different sources. Both continued their bad behavior while in my caring hands.

I did figure out a cool way to deal with the well-known Kindle 3 cover problem. Instead of covering the gold insert tabs with paint or tape, I opened-up the Kindle case, removed the lower tab contact (4 screws) and put electrical tape directly on the logic board over the contacts. That way, there is no worry about paint or tape wearing through and recreating the short.
I've picked up several K3s recently (Gumtree/eBay/CL/local paper) with cracked screens for prices ranging from £/$/€0.00 to the price of a beer... Naturally I've repaired the screens and moved them on :thumbup:
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
montalex
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnymonster View Post
I've picked up several K3s recently (Gumtree/eBay/CL/local paper) with cracked screens for prices ranging from £/$/€0.00 to the price of a beer... Naturally I've repaired the screens and moved them on :thumbup:
I'm on the hunt for one! Ebay isn't so great -- there are many, but the prices are way too high.

I just ordered a motherboard from here:https://www.powerbookmedic.com/xcart1/home.php?cat=641

Fixing this Kindle is getting expensive...

Last edited by montalex; 03-05-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #7
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
Agreed - Gumtree has been most productive for me.
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote