Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-23-2022, 04:11 AM   #1
vila
vila doesn't littervila doesn't litter

Device: KT2, PW2
Question Force restart a kindle paperwhite through usb?

Hey mobilereaders,

A while back a friend of mine donated a Kindle Paperwhite 2nd generation, he told me the device worked fine but the power button was faulty, luckily he was using one of those cover cases that would power on the device when it was opened.

I decided to jailbreak it shortly after to install koreader, everything worked perfectly, until one day as I was reading a book koreader decided to freeze. With my other older kindles I would simply long press the power button to do a forced reset, but as I said before, the kindle I was using had a broken power button which softlocked the device. I decided at the time to wait until the battery reached zero to then charge it back up.

It's been almost a year and the device is still frozen, since eink displays waste so little battery (and the device was on airplane mode) I doubt it even has discharged 10%

I tried looking everywhere online but couldn't find an answer, plugging it in makes the LED turn green but it doesn't show up, I'm saving opening it up and looking for any corrosion on the motherboard as a last resort as I want to see if there is any other less destructive ways to fix this.

The question is: is there any way to trigger a reset through usb? it would be a shame to have to buy a new kindle if this one works perfectly.

Thanks for reading, hopefully I can get this fixed soon
vila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 05:45 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Get someone that can solder to replace the switch. It's a very simple two connection momentary action.
I never saw any model of Kindle that didn't run the battery flat in a few months as they don't usually turn off.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 01:52 PM   #3
vila
vila doesn't littervila doesn't litter

Device: KT2, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Get someone that can solder to replace the switch. It's a very simple two connection momentary action.
Thank you for the help! are there any trustworthy guides that you would recommend to do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I never saw any model of Kindle that didn't run the battery flat in a few months as they don't usually turn off.
For all I know the kindle might be in a powered down softlock state, hence why the battery still hasn't died after almost a year
vila is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
koreader, paperwhite 2, reset, softlock, usb