Notices

Old 09-19-2022, 08:50 AM   #31
mblrdr
Enthusiast
mblrdr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
I have a portable install on an internal SSD. and my libraries are in the portable install dir, where it expects them to be, so that I can do easy syncs to an external SSD and my NAS and have them be self-contained Calibre installs. I used to have a normal 64-bit install on the PC the SSD is in, but now that portable is 64 bit as well, I simply use that.
I keep my programs and data seperate for the last 20+ years. I do it with my SSD (c:system, d:data) as well. This way you can revert your system in a case of emergency and keep the data untouched. This is the system I try not to break. Not even with calibre portable.

Calibre portable is just annoying with the creation of that library folder which is hardcoded for no apparent reason (at least I don#t understand it). Calibre install can handle it so why does calibre portable not do the same?

Such a simple request.
mblrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 09:25 AM   #32
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mblrdr View Post
I keep my programs and data seperate for the last 20+ years. I do it with my SSD (c:system, d:data) as well. This way you can revert your system in a case of emergency and keep the data untouched. This is the system I try not to break. Not even with calibre portable.

Calibre portable is just annoying with the creation of that library folder which is hardcoded for no apparent reason (at least I don#t understand it). Calibre install can handle it so why does calibre portable not do the same?

Such a simple request.
Because Portable was intended to be truly self contained portable.
You choose (along with others) to use it to work around the 1 version INSTALLED limits. OTOH Portable does not prevent switching to an external (to portable) Library, once started. It just won't remember to start with it current.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 04:53 PM   #33
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
What are the chances that I will have an identically named and located calibre library folder on every computer into which I plug the USB drive that I have calibre portable installed on? Having the library on one drive and the calibre portable install on another would pretty much require that setup.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 05:48 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I used to do 64x installs to modify my x32 portable version with the x64 files. But the developer was so kind to update also the portable variant to x64.
Calibre 6 portable has to be 64-bit as there the version of Qt used is only 64-bit.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 06:17 AM   #35
mblrdr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
What are the chances that I will have an identically named and located calibre library folder on every computer into which I plug the USB drive that I have calibre portable installed on? Having the library on one drive and the calibre portable install on another would pretty much require that setup.
What are the chances I have to change the library on every start of calibre portable because I simply does not remember the last used library? And not to have a least an option to toggle that.

Not even when I use it "as intended" it does remember that. Tell your mum or child to switch it every time....

I explained my use of portable programs in the above post. I use the portable apps on system that is divided in c:system and d:data. Data contains "data" and portable apps. Therefore data and portable apps are seperated. That's a portable concept that works (also on another computer).

Last edited by mblrdr; 09-20-2022 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09-20-2022, 06:19 AM   #36
mblrdr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Because Portable was intended to be truly self contained portable.
You choose (along with others) to use it to work around the 1 version INSTALLED limits. OTOH Portable does not prevent switching to an external (to portable) Library, once started. It just won't remember to start with it current.
I want to work around the portable limits.

Seems you fully understood the problem. I'd like calibre portable to remember that so that you only have to change the library if you're on a different setup.

Last edited by mblrdr; 09-20-2022 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-20-2022, 08:52 AM   #37
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
So just create symbolic links. This is a one time process and survives reinstallation/ upgrades of calibre portable.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 07:23 PM   #38
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One of the appealing features of Installed calibre is that you can put its libraries (including the default) wherever you choose without ever having to use operating or file system artefacts such as Environment Variables or Symbolic Links.

At install time the Welcome Wizard offers a nominal default at C:\Users\<user>\Calibre Library, but you can change it e.g.:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-09-21 091456.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	196654

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 05:25 AM   #39
mblrdr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
So just create symbolic links. This is a one time process and survives reinstallation/ upgrades of calibre portable.

As I already stated symbolic links are not feasable as I'm not the only user of the configured calibre portable. I set it up to run on different computers (for which I have no physical access) used by different people (e.g. relatives).

These users have not the knowledge to use use symbolic links and are upset about that lack of simply remembering the last used library.

Last edited by mblrdr; 09-21-2022 at 05:29 AM.
Old 09-21-2022, 05:27 AM   #40
mblrdr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
One of the appealing features of Installed calibre is that you can put its libraries (including the default) wherever you choose without ever having to use operating or file system artefacts such as Environment Variables or Symbolic Links.

At install time the Welcome Wizard offers a nominal default at C:\Users\<user>\Calibre Library, but you can change it e.g.:

Attachment 196654

BR
I'm using only the portabe version (as stated) as I don't want the "trash" in my \AppData.

The installed version creates that "trash"

For me there's not other logical option than to bring that "feature" to calibre portable.
Old 09-21-2022, 07:54 AM   #41
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
For me there's no other logical option than to bring that "feature" to calibre portable.
If Calibre Portable was Environment Variable aware it would be Calibre NonPortable.

With Environment Variable aware Installed Calibre you can relocate the configuration folder (it defaults to C:\Users\<users>\AppData\Roaming\calibre) to your D: drive and set the Environment Variable CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY to that location. Library locations are set within calibre via the Library->Create/switch tool.

I don't have any calibre "trash" in my '\AppData':
  • My 8 libraries are at D:\Calibre\Libraries,
  • My calibre configuration folder is at C:\_Appdata\Calibre\Config64
Calibre Portable is not the solution to separating the calibre software from the calibre data. To do that you need use Installed Calibre with one set and forget Environment Variable. If you're minded you can also relocate calibre's Temp and Cache locations and set their environment variables.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 09:28 AM   #42
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
As I already stated symbolic links are not feasable as I'm not the only user of the configured calibre portable. I set it up to run on different computers (for which I have no physical access) used by different people (e.g. relatives).

These users have not the knowledge to use use symbolic links and are upset about that lack of simply remembering the last used library.
So ALL of these other people have to live with YOUR decisions / complexities in setting up software. Poor them

PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 12:21 PM   #43
mblrdr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
So ALL of these other people have to live with YOUR decisions / complexities in setting up software. Poor them

Oh are we getting personal? No arguments left?

Actually I make it easier for these people. Who would have thought that?

mklink /j \YourComment \Users\User\Trash

Last edited by mblrdr; 09-22-2022 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-22-2022, 12:31 PM   #44
mblrdr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If Calibre Portable was Environment Variable aware it would be Calibre NonPortable.

With Environment Variable aware Installed Calibre you can relocate the configuration folder (it defaults to C:\Users\<users>\AppData\Roaming\calibre) to your D: drive and set the Environment Variable CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY to that location. Library locations are set within calibre via the Library->Create/switch tool.

I don't have any calibre "trash" in my '\AppData':
  • My 8 libraries are at D:\Calibre\Libraries,
  • My calibre configuration folder is at C:\_Appdata\Calibre\Config64
Calibre Portable is not the solution to separating the calibre software from the calibre data. To do that you need use Installed Calibre with one set and forget Environment Variable. If you're minded you can also relocate calibre's Temp and Cache locations and set their environment variables.

BR
I only called it trash because this is an unnescessary concept imho. Sorry about the wording.

I wouldn't be so pushy if I hadn't nearly all my software in portable form. None of these uses such a concept (different between portable vs non-portable) but I guess I'll find a solution. There are lot of sites which do portable versions of "install only" programs.

Remembering the last library does not need \AppData at all if done the right way (for example an *.ini file).

Still I'd like to know the developers standpoint.

Don't get me wrong I really like calibre. It's awsome.
Old 09-22-2022, 12:43 PM   #45
mblrdr
Enthusiast

Here we go you left me no choice

http://portableappz.blogspot.c*m/201...tilingual.html

*fully* portable and done "the better way"

In this you find:

CalibrePortable.ini

[CalibrePortable]
CheckRegWrite=true
AllowMultipleInstances=false
Library=Users\user\Downloads\Calibre x64 portable\Library <
DisableSplashScreen=false
SplashScreenName=

Cheers

@kovidgoyal see that? Be inspired.

Last edited by mblrdr; 09-22-2022 at 01:54 PM.