Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-21-2022, 06:15 PM   #1
eBooked
eBooked began at the beginning.

Device: sigil
"fragment identifier is not defined" question

Hi, All,

I just ran a revised ePub file through pagina ePub Checker which alerted me to a "fragment identifier is not defined" error and cited the exact line of the error.

When I open the ePub file to that location in SIGIL, I see the following code:

<p class="ind" id="chap5_ft2"><a id="chap5_ftg"></a>Although he was then still largely unknown...

Based on that information, I'm wondering if anyone reading this can suggest a way to correct the problematic code?

Thanks!
eBooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 08:06 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
There is no content on the hyperlink which has a bookmark/anchor
Quote:
<a id="chap5_ftg"></a>
Serves no useful purpose as the p tag has an id anyway.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 08:38 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I find in most cases, the IDs overall have no use. I don't know why so many are put int he eBooks when they have no use,
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 10:40 AM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I don’t see anything in the html that would result in the reported error. Are you sure it is an “id” and not an “href” attribute in the “a” element?
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 05:07 PM   #5
eBooked
eBooked began at the beginning.

Device: sigil
the same code passes muster in original eBook text

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I don’t see anything in the html that would result in the reported error. Are you sure it is an “id” and not an “href” attribute in the “a” element?
The specific code as written clears ePub check without an issue in the original pre-revised ePub. However, it may be of consequence that in the revised version of the ePub that generated the error, I removed a footnote from the eBook, and then moved a second footnote "up" to where the removed footnote had been.

The line of code that ePub check flagged appears at the beginning of the paragraph in the eBook that includes the footnoted text for the second footnote, that is, the footnote that I didn't delete, but merely moved up to replace the other footnote that I deleted. If that's not too confusing, perhaps it reveals a clue as to why ePub checker lets the code pass in the original doc, but flags it for attention in the second, revised version of the same eBook.

Thanks!
eBooked is offline   Reply With Quote