Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-24-2017, 08:15 AM   #1
andreasteyn
andreasteyn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire 3 HD 2013
Red face Kindle Fire REPAIR of USB port

I am trying to repair my kindle from 2013 i think its the kindle fire 3 HD 7"

It won't charge anymore. I've tried all the restart options holding the buttons and charging it.

I want to repair the device, and want to order the part myself.

What is the name of the USB / micro HDMI port?
I think for sure that its just the port on the device itself that I should replace.
There are two ports, a USM and mini HDMI next to each other coming out the bottom middle.
Is that one thing I have to buy combined - the USB and mini HDMI together? Or are they two seperate things?

I live in Cape Town, we don't have amazon repairs here, I want to buy the part from Amazon but I'm struggling to find the name of that USB port thing.
Under what section do I look?

Please help.
andreasteyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:00 AM   #2
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Before you go further, let me ask if you have tried multiple different usb cables? I've had phones and tablets get very fussy about what cable they will charge with after long use. My original Fire tablet will only charge with one out of half a dozen cables. The connectors get physically worn down and don't make good contact anymore.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2017, 11:17 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasteyn View Post
I am trying to repair my kindle from 2013 i think its the kindle fire 3 HD 7"

It won't charge anymore. I've tried all the restart options holding the buttons and charging it.

What is the name of the USB / micro HDMI port?
I think for sure that its just the port on the device itself that I should replace.
There are two ports, a USM and mini HDMI next to each other coming out the bottom middle.
Is that one thing I have to buy combined - the USB and mini HDMI together? Or are they two seperate things?

I live in Cape Town, we don't have amazon repairs here, I want to buy the part from Amazon but I'm struggling to find the name of that USB port thing.
Under what section do I look?

Please help.
Disclaimer first -
Please understand that I mean no insult.

Replacing the part will require both the special equipment and the special skills needed to rework SMD devices.

No offense intended, but I find it surprising that a person with those skills and access to that equipment does not know the name of the type of part they want to replace.

The Department of Electrical Engineering at the University of Cape Town will have labs with the required equipment.
If you are, or know of a student with access to the special equipment in those labs, then having the required tools should not be a problem.
You might also need an experienced student who has the skills required to do the work for you.

There are many slight variations in the parts made by various manufacturers.
You first need to open the device and inspect the part to identify the most likely replacement.

Amazon is not likely to carry the part.
You will probably have to order from an electronics part distributor.

I just checked at the three major parts distributors google could find in Cape Town without even finding the correct category.
So you will probably have to purchase from out-of-the-country.
A good close-up photo of the part to be replaced will often be enough for the sales department of your chosen electronics part distributor to identify a replacement part for you.

- - - -

Sorry I could not give you a specific answer to your question.
All I can offer is this extra bit of information about the task you propose to undertake.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:35 AM   #4
andreasteyn

Thanks so much,

I intend ordering it from Amazon, because I have a friend in america now that can collect the package. Not everything ships to South Africa.

Regarding the tech installation, its not that hard, I'll take it to a repair store with the part.

yeh, I'm just struggling to understand the part name, and if I need the flex cable too or just the miniUSB docking port. , And what about the mini HDMI next to it, shouldnt I just replace them both?

Oh, yes of course, I've tried charging it many ways with different cables. I do know that the way it was being used, constantly charging all the time, was going to break the port. And I've had it for many years. These things happen.

But its a product bought from the UK, and its impossible to send it back to the UK for a replacement credit, cause you have to pay your own shipping on the trade-in. I'll just fix it.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:32 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
- - - -
I live in Cape Town, we don't have amazon repairs here.
- - - -
- - - -
Oh, then that was a translation failure.
I was going by what appeared in the post.

Quote:
- - - -
Regarding the tech installation, its not that hard, I'll take it to a repair store with the part.
- - - -
I'll just fix it.
And another translation failure.

You actually mean:
"I will have it fixed by a repair shop, other than a Kindle repair shop."
not
"I will fix it."

Sorry, I can only answer the post as written, I do not have a way to channel into your mind and see what you meant by what you wrote.

Let the repair store pick the replacement part.
You will get a better result than by trying to micro-manage the work.

Last edited by knc1; 09-24-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Advert
Old 09-24-2017, 04:42 PM   #6
andreasteyn

As much I would love to, no one repairs kindle or keeps the parts here in South Africa.
I've tried that of course.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:56 PM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
As much I would love to, no one repairs kindle or keeps the parts here in South Africa.
Do you have access to the tools that are needed to fix a kindle?
Have you fixed other kindles or small electronics?
Amazon does not sell the part you need. Your US friend will probably need to go through a different company.

Andrea,
What is your native language?
Something is getting lost in translation.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:29 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
So how are you going to "take it to the repair shop" ?
And it isn't much of a repair shop that can't order its own replacement parts.

Give your current Kindle to your friend (let them worry about getting it fixed).
Buy a new one for yourself.
Problem solved.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:05 PM   #9
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
You best just buy a new fire. These Fires are Not that easy to work on. Even with the proper tools & parts..... money you could use towards a new Fire. New Fire starts at $50! Tools to repair the old on cost $12 [some how reversed the number] then you have to Buy the part. Pay Shipping Fees, etc. Pay Labor & Still end up with junk.... Don't take much to break something.

Last edited by Barbara1955; 09-27-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:17 AM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
You best just buy a new fire. These Fires are Not that easy to work on. Even with the proper tools & parts..... money you could use towards a new Fire. New Fire starts at $50! Tools to repair the old on cost $21 then you have to Buy the part. Pay Shipping Fees, etc. Pay Labor & Still end up with junk.... Don't take much to break something.
Hey Barbara,
Where did you get the tools? If this is a kit of some sort please link. Or let me know what tools you are talking about. Your price sounds more like a battery replacement kit.
Small screwdrivers aren't cheap.
Oh I found the part on ebay. That is at least $6.
Note the OP is in Cape Town, so major shipping costs.
You are 100% correct in your idea.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:30 PM   #11
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does a Lot more than change Batteries!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:37 PM   #12
Pinnacle1
Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
You best just buy a new fire. These Fires are Not that easy to work on. Even with the proper tools & parts..... money you could use towards a new Fire. New Fire starts at $50! Tools to repair the old on cost $12 [some how reversed the number] then you have to Buy the part. Pay Shipping Fees, etc. Pay Labor & Still end up with junk.... Don't take much to break something.
Agreed. I know it may not be easy for OP to get but, in most places, these tablets have got to a price where they are almost considered disposable. Even if you can use for a couple years, you have easily got your moneys worth. They just are not worth the expense and risk to try and repair.
Pinnacle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:43 PM   #13
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does a Lot more than change Batteries!
That is a cool screwdriver set. Oh and it is only $12.99.
It will do all minor repairs. Anything screwed down can be replaced.

Tags
hdmi, kindle, repair, usb ports