Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-28-2018, 05:13 AM   #1
fsantini
fsantini can differentiate black from dark navy bluefsantini can differentiate black from dark navy bluefsantini can differentiate black from dark navy bluefsantini can differentiate black from dark navy bluefsantini can differentiate black from dark navy bluefsantini can differentiate black from dark navy bluefsantini can differentiate black from dark navy bluefsantini can differentiate black from dark navy bluefsantini can differentiate black from dark navy bluefsantini can differentiate black from dark navy bluefsantini can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Glo
Support for cloud services (Dropbox/Nextcloud)

Hi Forum!
I would like to share a project that I worked on some time ago, then abandoned, then brought back to life thanks to some interested people on Github. I didn't know this forum before, but I think that this project would fit well in here.

With this addition, you can have your kobo automatically download books from shared Dropbox or Nextcloud folders. Just add the share link in a simple configuration file inside your .kobo folder and that's it!

I tested in on a Kobo Glo and on a Kobo Aura H2O.

You can find more information on my github page: https://github.com/fsantini/KoboCloud
and installation pack here: https://github.com/fsantini/KoboCloud/releases

Hope this will help somebody!

Francesco
fsantini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:54 AM   #2
therourke
therourke began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Thanks for putting this together (I was the person on github who asked for an update).

I have installed it, following the instructions, and tried to use dropbox to sync. The log file on the system says it did try and pull from the url, but the files I placed there (two .kepub books) did not get synced. I tried changing the name of my directory to something simpler, but that had no effect. Here's the log:

Quote:
2018-10-28_09:49:40 waiting for internet connection
Reading MYDROPBOXFOLDERURL
Getting MYDROPBOXFOLDERURL
Getting MYDROPBOXFOLDERURL
2018-10-28_09:49:47 done
My Kobo Clara HD is on firmware 4.10.11655

Last edited by therourke; 10-28-2018 at 05:57 AM.
therourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2018, 08:31 AM   #3
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Does it only fetch epubs?

Worked fine on my Aura HD/4.8.11073, but only for epubs not kepubs.

Thanks,
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:57 AM   #4
therourke

I tried syncing an epub and that didn't work either. BUT when I changed my .kepub files to .kepub.epub that did work.

Last edited by therourke; 10-28-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:02 AM   #5
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by therourke View Post
I tried syncing an epub and that didn't work either. BUT when I changed my .kepub files to .kepub.epub that did work.
.kepub.epub is the correct extension. Calibre just uses .kepub so it can differentiate from .epubs.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2018, 10:10 AM   #6
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, thanks geek1011, renaming to .kepub.epub made kepubs work as well.

This is a great feature!
Old 10-28-2018, 10:19 AM   #7
therourke

Does anyone know a way to convert to kepub without a desktop (i.e. calibre)?

I would like to automate this process, as I used to on my Kindle. I.e. add epub to a Dropbox folder, service like zapier.com converts to kepub and adds to separate Dropbox folder, which can then sync to device.

But if there is an android app that converts epubs to kepub, that would also be great.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:33 AM   #8
patrik
Guru

Quote:
Does anyone know a way to convert to kepub without a desktop (i.e. calibre)?
Kepubify?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=295287
Old 11-20-2018, 12:48 PM   #9
therourke

Still having problems with syncing. It isn't consistent, whether I try to sync kepub or epub files. Any thoughts on this? Is there anything about how filenames are written (bad characters for instance) tat might make a difference?
Old 11-21-2018, 01:24 AM   #10
fsantini
fsantini can differentiate black from dark navy bluefsantini can differentiate black from dark navy bluefsantini can differentiate black from dark navy bluefsantini can differentiate black from dark navy bluefsantini can differentiate black from dark navy bluefsantini can differentiate black from dark navy bluefsantini can differentiate black from dark navy bluefsantini can differentiate black from dark navy bluefsantini can differentiate black from dark navy bluefsantini can differentiate black from dark navy bluefsantini can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Still having problems with syncing. It isn't consistent, whether I try to sync kepub or epub files. Any thoughts on this? Is there anything about how filenames are written (bad characters for instance) tat might make a difference?
Uhm special characters might be a problem... Try renaming the file to something simple, like aaa.epub.

Are you trying to sync from Dropbox or Nextcloud?
Old 11-23-2018, 04:07 AM   #11
therourke

Dropbox.

I will try again. See, the best reason for me for having this setup, is so that I can sync stuff on the go without the hassle of wires etc. If I have to rename the files each time it gets complicated. Is there any way to update the syncing status so it accepts special characters? That would be amazing
Old 11-23-2018, 04:15 AM   #12
fsantini

Quote:
Dropbox.

I will try again. See, the best reason for me for having this setup, is so that I can sync stuff on the go without the hassle of wires etc. If I have to rename the files each time it gets complicated. Is there any way to update the syncing status so it accepts special characters? That would be amazing
I also use Dropbox so it will be easy for me to check Can you please post an example of a title that doesn't sync?

Does some Kobo guru know if it's maybe the Kobo itself that has some problems with some characters in the filename?
Old 11-23-2018, 05:38 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsantini View Post
I also use Dropbox so it will be easy for me to check Can you please post an example of a title that doesn't sync?

Does some Kobo guru know if it's maybe the Kobo itself that has some problems with some characters in the filename?
The KoboTouch driver in calibre does the following when creating filenames:

Code:
    def sanitize_path_components(self, components):
        invalid_filename_chars_re = re.compile(r'[\/\\\?%\*:;\|\"\'><\$!]', re.IGNORECASE | re.UNICODE)
        return [invalid_filename_chars_re.sub('_', x) for x in components]
Those are the specific Kobo changes. Calibre will also have sanitised the name so it was legal filename. It tends to overdo this as it makes sure the name is valid in all the OSes calibre runs on.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:29 PM   #14
therourke

It seems something has gone wrong with my installation. It is not syncing at all now.

My get.log file says this:

Quote:
2018-11-27_17:28:01 waiting for internet connection
Reading # Add your URLs to this file
Comment found
2018-11-27_17:28:10 done
Which makes no sense, since my kobocloudrc file only contains the dropbox url, not that starting line from the template. It's like the installation is reading from a template version of the kobocloudrc file or something. I tried deleting the entire kobocloud directory and reinstalling from scratch, but it makes no difference.

Any ideas? Thanks

Last edited by therourke; 11-27-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:08 AM   #15
Dirk-71
Zealot
Dirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolate

Device: Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One, Glo HD, Clara 2E
Not working. It was only working once. Then it stopped working. I did everything according to the tutorial.

Code:
2018-11-30_11:03:42 waiting for internet connection
Reading # Add your URLs to this file
Comment found
Reading https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2psl......tttv/AABVo6XWJ........
Getting https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2psl......tttv/AABVo6XWJ........
Getting https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2psl......tttv/AABVo6XWJ........
Reading 
Getting 

2018-11-30_11:03:50 done
Dirk-71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cloud, dropbox, nextcloud