Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-05-2018, 04:01 PM   #451
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired
romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: iPad Mini 3 & Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
Does MapleRead sync books positions automatically on exit from the book or is still needed to do it manually?

The only thing that prevents me to using this is you must manually sync the book position and normally I use to forget do it...
By "position" do you mean the page you were on? If so, yes. When I next launch MR-SE, the book opens to that page that was open when I closed it. Note, I DON'T shut down MR, so it is running in the back ground (though it takes longer to come up and get to the page if I've opened other apps before returning to MR.
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:28 AM   #452
svenlind
Addict
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Mini, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
By "position" do you mean the page you were on? If so, yes. When I next launch MR-SE, the book opens to that page that was open when I closed it. Note, I DON'T shut down MR, so it is running in the back ground (though it takes longer to come up and get to the page if I've opened other apps before returning to MR.
I think rfog means syncing between devices. I often use both my iPad pro and my iPad mini when reading. And AFAIK you still have to remember to sync manually. I almost always remember to do so .

But automatic syncing would certainly be nice.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:18 AM   #453
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
I think rfog means syncing between devices. I often use both my iPad pro and my iPad mini when reading. And AFAIK you still have to remember to sync manually. I almost always remember to do so .

But automatic syncing would certainly be nice.
Auto-sync may be nice in theory, but no existing implementation of other reading apps that I have tried is reliable enough, in the sense that when I switch reading from my iPad to my iPhone, it does not pick up from where I left off every time. Moreover, when I turn off Wifi on my iPad, auto sync on those apps simply (reasonably) fail to sync silently, giving me a false sense of "security". Well, why not make life simpler for everyone, including the developer, by simply adding a sync reminder alert just before a book is closed? This way, you'll never forget to sync, unless you don't want to.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:09 AM   #454
rfog
Fanatic
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Yes, sorry, I was meant at least automatically sync reading position across devices.

In my experience, as cedhax says is not very reliable in any reading app but... well, at least for me is better auto that could fail than forget it and surely be not synced.

As svenlid says, perhaps a reminder should be enough.

In my experience with iBooks, if you go to the library before closing the app or before switching iPad screen off, normally position is synchronized. More chances to be successful if you wait about two or three seconds.

The way Marvin does is (was) perfect for me. Instead of sync on close, you sync on opening, and normally Marvin does not use to fail in that.

And of course, if you have switched off WiFi is your problem, not app problem.

And now some technicalities.

On app close, you have some time to do some stuff. If you have time to do it, it will be synced. But let's assume wifi connection is not good and you don't have time to sync. Using a proprietary cloud you've lost all your chances. However, if you are using iCloud, iThings periodically wakes up to sync the cloud, and if your info is pending to be synced, it will be.

Because a normal sync scenario is you finish to read in the night, close your iPad and on next morning, perhaps you have some minutes to continue your reading while waiting a taxi, or in underground or in whatever other circumstance... and you find your iPhone has not been synced... You normally don't left your 11" iPad and take your 12.9" iPad to continue reading because you are worth to (only in battery exhaustion)... I don't know if I've explained well or not.

More. What about 3 columns? 11" iPad is getting wider and wider... I will be the happiest of the men if your application will sync book position on close and had 3 column option...
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote