Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-12-2020, 02:58 PM   #1
RhD97
Connoisseur
RhD97 began at the beginning.

Device: Kinde 8th generation
Is there a new way to break drm?

I've read that as of June 2020 Amazon has made it harder to break the drm protection, and I've tried many methods and failed in all. I wonder if there is or if there will be a new way of doing it.
RhD97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:04 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
An old version of the Kindle app and Alf's tools still work for me.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2020, 03:05 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Search for Apprentice Alf or Apprentice Harper.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:13 PM   #4
RhD97
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
An old version of the Kindle app and Alf's tools still work for me.
Where can I safely download an old version of the Kindle app?
Old 07-12-2020, 04:08 PM   #5
RhD97
Connoisseur

Please, can someone help me? I've downloaded Kindle for PC 1.26 and the new plugin from Alf. But it still doesnt work
Advert
Old 07-12-2020, 04:22 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhD97 View Post
Please, can someone help me? I've downloaded Kindle for PC 1.26 and the new plugin from Alf. But it still doesnt work
What is the file type (extension) of the book?

Also, since you have a kindle, you can download a book directly from amazon using a browser. That way you get KF8 (azw3) and it is easier to work with.

Sign in to your account at amazon from a web browser and go to manage your content and devices.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:46 PM   #7
saki
saki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Tab M8 FHD, Pixel 7a
You need an older version of Kindle for PC. I'm using this one.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ku208j...1.17.44183.exe

After starting Kindle for PC immediately go into Tools Options and uncheck Automatically install updates. Otherwise it will automatically update to the current version.
saki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:57 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhD97 View Post
I've read that as of June 2020 Amazon has made it harder to break the drm protection, and I've tried many methods and failed in all. I wonder if there is or if there will be a new way of doing it.
Since you have an eInk Kindle device, it's pretty straightforward. See Apprentice Harper's blog, especially the readme for the plugin.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:46 PM   #9
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
[Is there a better place to ask this?]

I've had ALF setup and working with Calibre for a few years. I'm now seeing some older books that it didn't work on. Q: does ALF work when you load a book into Calibre or only when you open the book to read it in Calibre?

I've always DL'ed books for my eInk Kindle using "download for USB" and put those copies into Calibre. At one point, I switched which kindle I DL'd for. Were older books ALF'ed when put into Calibre (in which case the older Kindle was the one encoded and it should have correctly de-DRMed them) or are they not ALF'ed until I try to read them (now, with a different Kindle encoded)?

If the latter, then I have to check all those older books. (Some work, but might not have had DRM to start with.)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 02:19 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I don't think I'm breaking the rules if I just say that DRM removal by the DeDRM plugin happens when the book is added to calibre.

My guess is that you added some books before you remembered to add your new Kindle's serial number to the plugin's preferences.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:48 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There was a bug in the DeDRM tools where if you added a number (I don't know how many at one time was too many) of Kindle eBooks at one time to Calibre, the DeDRM plugin would not work with all of them and some would end up still with DRM. That has since been fixed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:14 PM   #12
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ahhh, thanks to both of you. I'll go re-do those earlier books.
Old 08-15-2020, 04:11 PM   #13
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

ah-HAH!! If I go into Calibre, find the book with problems, click on "Path: click to open" (i.e. find where the book is on disk) and drag that same copy into Calibre again, it fixes the DRM the second time.

Granted, I now have two copies in my library, with different add-dates, but at least the new one is openable.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:11 PM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
ah-HAH!! If I go into Calibre, find the book with problems, click on "Path: click to open" (i.e. find where the book is on disk) and drag that same copy into Calibre again, it fixes the DRM the second time.

Granted, I now have two copies in my library, with different add-dates, but at least the new one is openable.

You can change those add dates, I believe, so that you can then delete the older copy.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:29 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post

One thing to do is go back to Amazon and see if any of those eBooks with the DRM have been updated and if som download the newer version before removing the DRM of the older version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote